• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poll - How much does your kit weigh?

How much does your kit weigh?

• 0-10lbs

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • 10-20lbs

Votes: 56 51.4%
  • 20-30lbs

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • 30-40lbs

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • 40+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kyler1945

SH Member
Keep posting over in @Silvio 's thread. But I wanted to get some data on the topic. Don't need to know what's in it, just the weight. Leave out Weapon and clothing/layers you carry - that can add 0-25lbs of variance to the answers. No need to switch the conversation over here, just vote if you like!

Last edited:
No clothes, 10-15 lbs depending what junk I bring. Usually not much. LWCG .5, one ONE stick, and knife and ropes, flashlight, gamebags sometimes, that's usually it. I'm not counting h2o either that ish is heavy and sometimes I take none, others a lot.

Later in the season I might pack 15 pounds of clothes in alone. Better to pack it and and stay warm.

Weighed my pack with platform attached and it came in at 19 lbs. With my one stick at 3.5 lbs I'm just about at 23 lbs. Without platform and stick it would be around 16
Edit: includes rappel kit

Small sample size for sure, but a major shift from 20-30 being the majority, to 10-20. I wonder how much of this is performance related, and how much is signal sending related, with “mobile hunter” being a trendy label.

Also, still no one admitting to 30+. I am quite confident there’s a huge chunk of folks in this category after hearing about some of the stuff folks bring in the woods, and the obsession with backpacks with pockets for organization.

And I’m curious where the new lightweight readily available hangons stack up. Seems like you can be in for the same total weight as a saddle setup these days, or close to it.

My climbing setup is under 12, that includes the saddle. Pack depends on time of year and then filming stuff on top of that.

Small sample size for sure, but a major shift from 20-30 being the majority, to 10-20. I wonder how much of this is performance related, and how much is signal sending related, with “mobile hunter” being a trendy label.

Also, still no one admitting to 30+. I am quite confident there’s a huge chunk of folks in this category after hearing about some of the stuff folks bring in the woods, and the obsession with backpacks with pockets for organization.

And I’m curious where the new lightweight readily available hangons stack up. Seems like you can be in for the same total weight as a saddle setup these days, or close to it.
lol I got a kick out of you bumping a 4 year old thread that had 11 votes and 3 replies. I think as you can already tell from the replies, people are guessing what their pack weighs. I think people think their packs are lighter than they think they are. This has been my surprise in weighing my hunting gear, I.e. stuff adds up fast.

This is what I was trying to say in the thread I started. Actually weigh your pack (not you kyle but people in general) and gear and tell us how much everything weighs, don’t guess. Mobile hunting ultra-light is what @NMSbowhunter is doing. If you’re not sub 10 you’re just like the rest of us and probably in that 15-25lb range if I had to guess.

lol I got a kick out of you bumping a 4 year old thread that had 11 votes and 3 replies. I think as you can already tell from the replies, people are guessing what their pack weighs. I think people think their packs are lighter than they think they are. This has been my surprise in weighing my hunting gear, I.e. stuff adds up fast.

This is what I was trying to say in the thread I started. Actually weigh your pack (not you kyle but people in general) and gear and tell us how much everything weighs, don’t guess. Mobile hunting ultra-light is what @NMSbowhunter is doing. If you’re not sub 10 you’re just like the rest of us and probably in that 15-25lb range if I had to guess.

Exactly.

But can I join the ultra lite club if everything besides my 9lb Frankenstein hybrid is less than 10? Since I wear it in, does it count as clothes?

Exactly.

But can I join the ultra lite club if everything besides my 9lb Frankenstein hybrid is less than 10? Since I wear it in, does it count as clothes?
We are weighing pack and saddle and your hybrid is kinda both so you gotta count it lol

lol I got a kick out of you bumping a 4 year old thread that had 11 votes and 3 replies. I think as you can already tell from the replies, people are guessing what their pack weighs. I think people think their packs are light

Two things really stand out: huge increase in people who report 10-20, regardless of whether it’s true; the number of people who immediately responded almost doubling.

I regret not getting into a business selling ultra light hunting gear.

You may only have to shed one pound to go from 20-30lbs to 10-20lbs.

Basics... Saddle w/ suspenders, platform w/ 3 sticks and gear bag (smaller than a pack) = 32 lbs. :)
Field weight with what all I wear, plus my recurve (which is lighter than my compound) and a heated vest when the temps drop....hard to say. :rolleyes:

I went from carrying a LW Assault and bolts to get up in tree to carrying a saddle/ROS and onesticking/rappeling. The gear in my pack gear has remained constant. Did the change equate to less weight? Yes, but not as much as people believe. The difference is in felt carrying weight. Not having 12#'s of rigid metal strapped to my back is noticeable. I wear my tree diaper on the walk in and out and don't feel the weight of it. I weighed saddlegear and back pack a few years ago and it came in at mid 20's.

I don't think 15-25lbs would be out of line for anyone. I individually weighed everything in my pack (the only thing I forgot was headlamp, .15lbs, because I was using it somewhere else the other day). My pack with filming gear including two cameras came in 24 lbs and I don't consider myself a "weight weenie". If I wanted to I could easily shed several pounds of non-essential/less frequently used equipment and be down in the 16.5 lbs range and still have everything I would need to climb kill a deer from height. I just don't mind carrying a few extra pounds of additional stuff. For me its just not a big deal, pretty much the farthest I'm going to walk is a mile each way. Twenty five pounds over that distance is pretty doable even for an OFG like me.

I don't think 15-25lbs would be out of line for anyone. I individually weighed everything in my pack (the only thing I forgot was headlamp, .15lbs, because I was using it somewhere else the other day). My pack with filming gear including two cameras came in 24 lbs and I don't consider myself a "weight weenie". If I wanted to I could easily shed several pounds of non-essential/less frequently used equipment and be down in the 16.5 lbs range and still have everything I would need to climb kill a deer from height. I just don't mind carrying a few extra pounds of additional stuff. For me its just not a big deal, pretty much the farthest I'm going to walk is a mile each way. Twenty five pounds over that distance is pretty doable even for an OFG like me.
And you get the benefit of extra weight when exercising. :blush:

Back