• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poor mans beast stick (Pictorial)

Anobody

SH Member
Well after nutterbusters comment about the poor mans beast stick I ironically purchased a set and did the modification for all to see.

Tools I used speed square, drill press with bits, marking pencil, tape, center punch, hammer, ratchet and pliers for hardware.

So here is a little step by step.
1. Acquire API sticks. 99$

2. Measure YOUR step and mark the sticks plus one inch for cutting. My step is 22 so I measured to 23

Mark and cut

3. Measure 1.5 inch up from bottom and center for bottom step. Mark and center punch.

4. Pilot drill your hole with a small bit then use the proper bit. This aids in centering the bigger bit for a more precise hole... trust me I learned the hard way last time I modified a set of these

5. Next mark and center the sides starting at2.5 inches and following every inch after that. On the front mark at 3 inches and every inch till you have eqaul marks from top and bottom. Again center punch then pilot drill before final holes. I made mine 3/8 instead of 1/2 inch

Lastly hardware and attaching items

Sticks once assembled with the holes I used wieght 2lb 5 oz

Start to finish project takes about 2hrs. You can also sell off the remaining steps to recoup some money or save them and buy the tubing for a fourth stick :). It’s a nice option.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Nice work, still considering. Did you happen to get a stick weight prior to drilling to see the weight savings? And about how big are you? Feel that the sticks are still plenty strong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work, still considering. Did you happen to get a stick weight prior to drilling to see the weight savings? And about how big are you? Feel that the sticks are still plenty strong?

They advertise 3 pounds per stick. Do I saved about 1/2 pound per stick and 160 bucks in my wallet

Last edited:
Got ya, I’m on the verge of 200. I’m sure it’s fine since beast sticks and other mod it. Just hate to do that effort and end up bending a set of sticks and be out money and effort

Got ya, I’m on the verge of 200. I’m sure it’s fine since beast sticks and other mod it. Just hate to do that effort and end up bending a set of sticks and be out money and effort

It’s 1/8 inch thick aluminum.. if your worried about bending you can just cut them down and keep them solid. Still fairly light and cheap

Yes, I have some now that I cut to 24 inch. Which I guess I could have just weighed mine VS yours to see the weight savings. But yeah I like them, just on the fence with the hole mod. Great work though!

Did you use a drill press? If so you can use a countersink and really clean those holes up and save a few more ounces. It really makes a difference. Always glad to see people doing things for themselves. Nice job.

Did you use a drill press? If so you can use a countersink and really clean those holes up and save a few more ounces. It really makes a difference. Always glad to see people doing things for themselves. Nice job.
I did use a press but I did not see Did not use a counter sink

If you use lone wolf standoff’s you will lose another 5 oz

Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I traded my wolf steps with a guy on Facebook for his api steps I just made my sticks today I have enough steps to make two more sticks just need to buy tubing stand offs and versabutton. I went 24” with 22” step but haven’t decided if I want to drill all the holes.. I had these wolf sticks and I figure with all the new lightweight sticks coming out I should be able to pick up another set of stock lonewolfs cheap this summer.. good project I had a little less time than you, but u had a lot more holes.. I’m still going to mess with mine some I’ll prolly end up doing holes and stealth strips and paint the steps and standoffs. IMG_3057.jpgIMG_3058.jpgIMG_3061.jpgIMG_3062.jpg

If you use lone wolf standoff’s you will lose another 5 oz

Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that 5oz per stick, per standoff, or total?

I have extra api steps from my mod and may get Lonewolf standoffs and some tube to make another set.

They can’t avoid you forever

If I remember correctly 88 g per stand off for lone wolf... and about 160 g per muddy type standoff... depending on which one it is. XOP or DanO are about 110 g.

If I remember correctly 88 g per stand off for lone wolf... and about 160 g per muddy type standoff... depending on which one it is. XOP or DanO are about 110 g.

This sounds correct to me

Ok, so just under a pound. Good info. Thank you sir

Weight and packability. Add a aider and you’ll get higher with less weight

Back