• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preachers seat and supplies for a big man!!

bigman

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but been lurking around for awhile. Anyway I dress about 390 and yes I still hunt and am fairly athletic still. I want to make a preachers seat and bridge. I need advice on this. I have already laminated (2) 3/4 plywood together with gorilla glue and bolts! I have to decide which way to go for the bridge. Rope and or webbing. I cold care less about weight as I only hike a mile or less.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the way I ordered a 450 rated harness from www.themanstoreonline.com

Thanks,

Big Man

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but been lurking around for awhile. Anyway I dress about 390 and yes I still hunt and am fairly athletic still. I want to make a preachers seat and bridge. I need advice on this. I have already laminated (2) 3/4 plywood together with gorilla glue and bolts! I have to decide which way to go for the bridge. Rope and or webbing. I cold care less about weight as I only hike a mile or less.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the way I ordered a 450 rated harness from www.themanstoreonline.com

Thanks,

Big Man
Looks like you are well on your way! I have been manic obsessed with it since I made mine late summer! I currently have wide webbing on mine, but I am going to replace it with one inch tubular webbing. I would say if I had it to do over again I would use static line rope of the 11mm variety.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will see if we can't figure it out together!! Preach On! Preach On!

Ok I called Knotandrope.com today and spoke with the technical rope guru. I have decided to go with firefly 7400 rope. Very good abrasion resistance, strength and supple enough tie knots in. Its definitlely overkill but better safe than sorry.
I have also chosen 40kn biners that lock. Lastly I will bolt my webbing which has a 24000lbs break strength and is 4 inches wide thru bolted to the seat running 2 times under me all the way around. All bolts will be grade 8 stainless steel with lock washers fender washers and lock nuts.
All componest from harness, straps, rope, bolts etc. are ALL AMERICAN made.

Definitely keep us posted on your progress and post pics when it is done.

YOu will havre a bomb proof system with that. My inly concern would be the bolts through the webbing. It may weaken it. I am around 320lbs and deffinately test the heck out of my stuff 1-2 feet off the ground and try to break it before I head up a tree. I've figured out what type of stitched form my speedy stitcher work best to hold me. Ive had a few tear outs while tourture testing my creations. but better safe than sorry 15'up

I have thought about it and I think a leather punch to perfectly create the holes might be the ticket. Then I could sandwich the strap on both sides of the plywood seat with fender washers, lock nuts. I think the squeeze with even pressure through out would greatly help.
I have also thought about putting some type of construction calk or industrial glue on the strap and then bolt it down. Just for that little extra bonding property.
Lastly I think I have decided to put the strap on the underside of my plywood seat. That way if the seat breaks I think everything would still hold together enough so I could get down.

I have thought about it and I think a leather punch to perfectly create the holes might be the ticket. Then I could sandwich the strap on both sides of the plywood seat with fender washers, lock nuts. I think the squeeze with even pressure through out would greatly help.
I have also thought about putting some type of construction calk or industrial glue on the strap and then bolt it down. Just for that little extra bonding property.
Lastly I think I have decided to put the strap on the underside of my plywood seat. That way if the seat breaks I think everything would still hold together enough so I could get down.
I think the leather punch with the bolts will be ok. Do a little online searching about riveting webbing and it may give you some inspiration.

I don't think you want to use any glue or anything on the webbing.

If you cut slots in your seat you can run the strap over the seat, but through the slots and under the sides. This will keep pressure off your hips and put it on the wood. If the wood were to break the webbing will hold.

Good luck and be safe!

So the straps go on top of the plywood, thru the slots and then under the seat? so the bridge then runs over the outside of the seat? Just to be sure with how I think you intended it.

So the straps go on top of the plywood, thru the slots and then under the seat? so the bridge then runs over the outside of the seat? Just to be sure with how I think you intended it.

Yes. On my version of this I have 2 pieces of webbing, front and back run like that. I have each end come out and tied a figure 8 on a bight. Then I just used carabiners to hook in a rope bridge. Mine is just my own version, not a preachers seat. Basically just a piece of plywood to sit on.

RS could you post some pics if you can? I am very safety conscious and just want to be sure I have it right. I think it I have it right though. I will take pics and post but will use normal rope because my climbing rope isn't here yet, and the same for my carbiners.

Last edited:
Back