• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Primal Step Issue

Matt G.

Had a difficult time getting the Primal step to cam over. I was using the standard straps. When I'd cam them over, the top contact points would pull away from the tree. If I was to tighten the straps a bit more, I was unable to cam them over, even by essentially hanging on them.

Anyone have this difficulty, or have suggestions on how to use these effectively?

The most common issue is not having the strap run under the stand offs properly. I'd make sure you check that first.

My brother just bought a new set and I was teaching him to use them and for the life of me I couldn’t get them to lock in (I have the rope mod on mine). After enough playing around I figured out that the way the straps are wrapped around the post it caused one side to pull on a different angle then the other. To remedy we unwound the straps so that they dont wrap the posts anymore but rather just hold onto the crossbar. This solves the issue completely and he was able to get a good cam pretty easily considering he just started using them. He is using them like that, however, I can not recommend this. I believe the straps are wrapped to take some of the stress off of the stitching used to close the straps on the steps. One side is double stitched and I’m not to worried about it but the other only has a single closed box X stitch. He used them for the weekend and we inspected them together and they look good but if you do this proceed with caution. I’d recommend the rope mod. His new ropes are on order. Hope this helps.

My brother just bought a new set and I was teaching him to use them and for the life of me I couldn’t get them to lock in (I have the rope mod on mine). After enough playing around I figured out that the way the straps are wrapped around the post it caused one side to pull on a different angle then the other. To remedy we unwound the straps so that they dont wrap the posts anymore but rather just hold onto the crossbar. This solves the issue completely and he was able to get a good cam pretty easily considering he just started using them. He is using them like that, however, I can not recommend this. I believe the straps are wrapped to take some of the stress off of the stitching used to close the straps on the steps. One side is double stitched and I’m not to worried about it but the other only has a single closed box X stitch. He used them for the weekend and we inspected them together and they look good but if you do this proceed with caution. I’d recommend the rope mod. His new ropes are on order. Hope this helps.

I took a few minutes and worked with them outside the barn today, and eventually took one to the top of one of my trees that ice preset with bolts.

Basically, when I cam them over, the bottom pointed contact point wants to rotate back up. I found that the best way to avoid this is to be sure that the step is actually above the cam strap when starting to cam over. This is counter-intuotive to everything I've ever experienced. My climbing sticks lock on best in the opposite fashion. Same with my climber. Same with a linesmans belt for that matter.

Either way, I was able to get the step to lock in, insert my wooden platform, and felt secure enough. I did feel some flexing of the wood (I'm 200 lbs without clothes or gear), so I may be in search of a more rigid material.

To this point I've been using the top step of my Muddy sticks, or two tree bolts as my platform. Needless to say, this was BY FAR my most comfortable sit. It was like night and day.

I have 6MM prusik cord (2800 LB break strength) on hand I am going to replace the stock strap with it. Has anyone tried a smaller diameter climbing rope as a replacement? I am assuming it will work like a WE step rope.

I have 6MM prusik cord (2800 LB break strength) on hand I am going to replace the stock strap with it. Has anyone tried a smaller diameter climbing rope as a replacement? I am assuming it will work like a WE step rope.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a concern you may get too much slip in the knot. The WE rope is flat, notch dryad is flat, amsteel is hollow core and flattens out when you knot it over itself, Climbing rope may not work. GIve it a shot and let us know though, could have an application!

I typically put the step on an angle, the spot it gets the tightest right before camming down, then tighten the strap as much as I can. Then I slide the step up just above the strap level, then cam back down. Usually pretty solid, depending on the tree and it's bark.
I have noticed I can not get a good set if the step is level with the strap. It usually flips back up.

I have amsteel for the rope mod. Packs a bit better then the WE rope but adjusting the knots are a bit of a pain with amsteel. I’m going to be trying the WE ropes after the season.

I would check the location of your straps, then watch all of the WE Stepp YouTube videos. After that, practice... practice...practice.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a concern you may get too much slip in the knot. The WE rope is flat, notch dryad is flat, amsteel is hollow core and flattens out when you knot it over itself, Climbing rope may not work. GIve it a shot and let us know though, could have an application!
Kyler1945, the 6mm rope works on the step. The step is solid when I can get it set right and a good cam, no slippage in the knot even with full weight and bouncing on step. I tied the same knot as shown in WE videos

Kyler1945, the 6mm rope works on the step. The step is solid when I can get it set right and a good cam, no slippage in the knot even with full weight and bouncing on step. I tied the same knot as shown in WE videos
How’s the adjustability of the knot?

How’s the adjustability of the knot?
The 6mm rope is flexiable enough that it is easy to adjust when the knot is tied around the step to tighten or losen a little bit if needed, when taking the step off after being on tight the rope is kinda hard to loosen, just have to work it to loosen it up. I Never used a WE so cannot compare the two

What I ended up doing was taking the cam buckle off the strap and the cutting off the strap that has the hook end on it. What you are left with is a step that has like a 6ft piece of the stock 1" strap, it holds fine and is easy to adjust when tying the same knot as the WE step

Back