• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pro's and Con's of the different saddles

mbeard1969

I've been trying to decide about getting a new saddle. I have a Trophyline Neoprene saddle I like but it's a size to big. As I've thought about replacing it I'm struggling with trying to get a size smaller Treesaddle (Very hard to find), Guido's web, Aerohunter, inexpensive rock climbing or tree climbing harness adding a bosun's style seat or sit drag to make it more comfortable for the sitting time.

I've also thought a lot about different climbing methods with the above from the standard stick's / tree step options, Climbing sling without any steps, as well as rope climbing......

Any thoughts...Help me decide.....

It really comes down to personal preference. I've tried them all. I personally no longer like the treesaddle nor the evo. I'm either running a sit drag with a rock harness or a guidos web climbing with sticks and aiders or spurs, sometimes SRT. I like a platform and rarely use steps anymore. When I don't use a platform, I just use the top dual step of a climbing stick.

That being said, there is another saddle hunter on this forum that hates the sit drag and web, loves his tree saddle and ameristeps on a strap, and prefers to hunting without a platform.

You are going to find opinions all over the map. You have to decide what you really want out of a saddle before you can choose. Or just buy them all lol. If you want a compromise between ultra light and heavier, I always recommend the aero hunter. It is a great safe saddle out of the box. The sit and drag is as minimalist as you get and its cheap, but its not rated for hunting off the ground and you really should add some other element for safety. The web is the most comfortable saddle there is, but its is bulkier than the others.

I try to remind people to not let the cost affect their decision so much. One saddle will cover every tree you ever need to hunt, opposed to X many tree stands.

I agree...my other stands are already collecting dust....Are there any that are easier to add or remove clothing, rain gear etc...........I always find I have to go in with minimal clothes and add as the day goes on...I can add jacket's etc with the saddle. Can you do that with the aero hunter. Are there any options you can add pants as well if needed.......I way overheat walking in even with one layer carrying everything with a backpack....

Aero hunter looks like it might be difficult (or cumbersome / uncomfortable) to walk in wearing....

Do you think there would be any advantage to using a bosun's chair with an aero hunter for longer sits to make it similar to a Guido's web...I've heard they are by far the most comfortable...but can be cumbersome.

That is a good way to do it if you want to minimize equipment.

Bonsun chairs are not cheap and I bet they aren't that comfortable. Guess it depends on the person, but even with a cushion my butt hurts sitting on the bleachers for 1 football game, let alone hours hunting. Id get a sit drag and RC harness and hunt. If your not comfortable in that, get a web.

I've been trying to decide about getting a new saddle. I have a Trophyline Neoprene saddle I like but it's a size to big. As I've thought about replacing it I'm struggling with trying to get a size smaller Treesaddle (Very hard to find), Guido's web, Aerohunter, inexpensive rock climbing or tree climbing harness adding a bosun's style seat or sit drag to make it more comfortable for the sitting time.

I've also thought a lot about different climbing methods with the above from the standard stick's / tree step options, Climbing sling without any steps, as well as rope climbing......

Any thoughts...Help me decide.....
What kind of TL do you have? What size are you looking for??

Bonsun chairs are not cheap and I bet they aren't that comfortable. Guess it depends on the person, but even with a cushion my butt hurts sitting on the bleachers for 1 football game, let alone hours hunting. Id get a sit drag and RC harness and hunt. If your not comfortable in that, get a web.
Its very comfortable with a good platform. ;)

I thought I may be able to help out . I have large also. Disregard o_O

I sold off 6 hang ons and a climber this year. This will be my last season in the Aerohunter and I will be running a minimalist set-up next year. I never thought the aero was a pain to walk with on. Again everything will come down to how it fits and feels for you. I would experiment by making a list of what you need and don't. Address the need first and then minimize it down from there. So many more options with all these guys modding and progressing this style of hunting. For me personally I found it to be more of an evolution of things. You will start off with more than you need and then find yourself doing away with everything else. This will be more than likely the last year I hang a stand just because saddle hunting opens the doors for ambush, and go anywhere type access without the worry.

I agree...my other stands are already collecting dust....Are there any that are easier to add or remove clothing, rain gear etc...........I always find I have to go in with minimal clothes and add as the day goes on...I can add jacket's etc with the saddle. Can you do that with the aero hunter. Are there any options you can add pants as well if needed.......I way overheat walking in even with one layer carrying everything with a backpack....

Aero hunter looks like it might be difficult (or cumbersome / uncomfortable) to walk in wearing....
They aero hunter is easy to walk in while wearing it. I always wear my saddle in, whatever saddle it is.

I am only able to add top layers while in any saddle. I make sure that I put the bottoms on at the base of the tree, then climb up.

I was asking this question a year ago. At the time, I was completely under the assumption that saddles were inherently less comfortable than a climber or treestand. So I went to the extreme of comfort - got the Web. It also seemed like the saddle that would give me the safest feeling hanging from a tree. It's great for its intended purpose and I will likely hunt out of it every year. Long sits or cold days late in the year when I'm sick of swinging from a tree and waiting for the big boy to decide he needs to step out in the day light and grab a bite to eat. The comfort on those days make it possible to stay up there.

But on some of my run and gun or 2-3 day trips, I need to be mobile. Carrying sticks, bow, back pack and wearing a Web... you better go slow and it better be cold. Or you will sweat by the fifth step. The back of the web is wonderful at hunting height. But it is a heat trap when you are walking and generating heat.

This year, especially early, the majority of my hunts will be in a minimalist saddle (Anderson/Big Buck slings, Sit Drag, the Ken Sling). I really haven't found a good way yet for my knees/legs to rest against the tree. The fork on the Web is great for that. As a compromise I will also be spending some time in my Treesuit. It has a hard seat to keep you off the tree but is much lighter and smaller than the Web.

I suggest you write down the things that you want from the stand in order of importance. Money should not be one of those things, like Red said. It may make up your mind for you later, but at least figure out what you want before trying to pick which saddle will give it to you. One of my observations (everyone can tell me if I'm wrong)... I think more folks have bought the Web first and then decided they wanted something smaller than guys who have bought a Trophyline, Aero, Evo, etc who wish they had bought the Web. Folks agree with that???

II think more folks have bought the Web first and then decided they wanted something smaller than guys who have bought a Trophyline, Aero, Evo, etc who wish they had bought the Web. Folks agree with that???

Yea, I think most of the people I see with a web use it for certain hunts.

I was asking this question a year ago. At the time, I was completely under the assumption that saddles were inherently less comfortable than a climber or treestand. So I went to the extreme of comfort - got the Web. It also seemed like the saddle that would give me the safest feeling hanging from a tree. It's great for its intended purpose and I will likely hunt out of it every year. Long sits or cold days late in the year when I'm sick of swinging from a tree and waiting for the big boy to decide he needs to step out in the day light and grab a bite to eat. The comfort on those days make it possible to stay up there.

But on some of my run and gun or 2-3 day trips, I need to be mobile. Carrying sticks, bow, back pack and wearing a Web... you better go slow and it better be cold. Or you will sweat by the fifth step. The back of the web is wonderful at hunting height. But it is a heat trap when you are walking and generating heat.

This year, especially early, the majority of my hunts will be in a minimalist saddle (Anderson/Big Buck slings, Sit Drag, the Ken Sling). I really haven't found a good way yet for my knees/legs to rest against the tree. The fork on the Web is great for that. As a compromise I will also be spending some time in my Treesuit. It has a hard seat to keep you off the tree but is much lighter and smaller than the Web.

I suggest you write down the things that you want from the stand in order of importance. Money should not be one of those things, like Red said. It may make up your mind for you later, but at least figure out what you want before trying to pick which saddle will give it to you. One of my observations (everyone can tell me if I'm wrong)... I think more folks have bought the Web first and then decided they wanted something smaller than guys who have bought a Trophyline, Aero, Evo, etc who wish they had bought the Web. Folks agree with that???

I agree and went down the same path as you. Great post. I hunt in Mi so rut time it is cold and the Web will help. I don't use legs straps and take shoulder straps off when settled in so I get great mobility in tree. I don't need platform with the web. With three steps and the web you're caring close to 20 pounds but it carries much better than a climber or hang on stand. There are pluses and minuses to every different one

If you pack your tether, linesmans belt well, the aero isn't bad to walk in.
I have a dump pouch on each side for that.

I have a shoulder bag for an ameristep platform.

With aero you have good comfort,reasonable compactness, safety and it works.

If you pack your tether, linesmans belt well, the aero isn't bad to walk in.
I have a dump pouch on each side for that.

I have a shoulder bag for an ameristep platform.

With aero you have good comfort,reasonable compactness, safety and it works.

Yeah, the Aero is the one I know the least about even though I'm sure that today it is the top selling saddle in production.
The old Tree Saddles are built very intelligently for the most part. there are one or two tweaks I would make for me personally. I'm sure New Tribe got even smarter than Trophyline so that Aero should be pretty slick.

Back