• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Prototype weight launcher for SRT access

boone0

I love climbing SRT/on ropes in general, and I think it's a great way to get to hunting height. Of all the climbing methods, second only to spikes, I think rope has the most potential for tree access.

There is one issue - placing the line in the tree - which has been on my mind for a couple years now. Arborist techniques work well when you are throwing a weight from a clear lawn or using a big shot to isolate a 100' tie in point. I have hit the mark at night on the first throw. I felt like a badass. I have tangled throwline for an hour in broad daylight, and felt like a dumbass.

I finally had an epiphany and cobbled together a prototype system to launch a weight into a tree quickly, accurately, and quietly. I feel that although this method needs refinement, it works so well that I want to share it with you all.

In addition to a throw weight and line, all you need are heavy exercise bands, a screw eye, and a couple links. I put the screw eye through a small piece of dowel. The elastic came from a water balloon sling shot someone gave me,but you can get similar tubing online.

How you use it: attach a throw line to the throw bag. Put the hook through the eye. Hold the dowel in your left hand as pictured. Pull the throw weight with your right hand. Aim with your left hand. Release.

I was shocked by how accurate I could be with little practice. Using the setup I have now, I can isolate a limb in 1 shot, 30-40 feet up. 40 feet is probably the max,and though you probably wouldn't hunt from that height, it gives you the option to tie in at that height and hunt lower.

I know we have some SRT hunters here. I'd love to hear some thoughts and discussion. I think this has some potential!

Already on the list for improvements: making the bands less likely to snag, optimizing the hook to release reliably (the orange bag has a hook that works best), and silencing the metal on metal contact.
ba5045792a57629aaf8c91426311b948.jpg
e17e272dff8016883e2dd502d0a776ac.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, no interest in this? I'm surprised! I feel like this could make SRT on the fly much more doable.

I’ve been watching it. Interested to see it work and noise. Never done srt but would certainly consider it

I was kinda surprised the few times I visited the original post not to see interest yet either

Wow, no interest in this? I'm surprised! I feel like this could make SRT on the fly much more doable.
I'm interested. I have it on my list of things to do better. I'm using a sling shot right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I haven’t had much interest in this technique but I always thought if I did it I would find a way to connect my bow fishing reel to my recurve and have a heavy arrow to shoot over limbs.

I'm interested. I have it on my list of things to do better. I'm using a sling shot right now.

I hear you on the list. Since I haven't been able to hunt this year, I've tried to chip away at the list in my limited free time.

Slingshot for the weight, or using a lighter weight with fishing line?

I tried the fishing line and it was too many steps...fishing line, throwline/Paracord, then rope was just too much.

Last edited:
Interested.. I might suggest, a piece of loop string and using a bow hunting release.
Tried that, it actually made it more complicated and less reliable. I had more throws using the release that didn't launch (got hung up on the eye bolt and flung back and hit me). Pulling the weight by hand seemed to allow the weight to release reliably about 90% of the time, not really sure why.

I hear you on the list. Since I haven't been able to hunt this year, I've tried to chip away at the list in my limited free time.

Slingshot for the weight, or using a lighter weight with fishing line?

I tried the fishing line and it was too many steps...fishing line, throwline/Paracord, then rope was just too much.
250 lb jerry brown spectra and a 2 oz bank sinker. Diameter of the Jerry Brown is about 0.9 mm. Straight to rope

Last edited:
Did you ever take a bag to the hand?

Last edited:
I've found that if I setup trees beforehand and have time to be patient getting the zing line up 25ft it isn't that bad after a few attempts with the spin and release. When I do more run and gun I try to make my life a lot easier and try to shoot for Ys and branches closer to 20ft. The biggest issue is usually the understory. If it is shrubby etc it can be a bit of a nightmare. I end up doing a bit of adjustment to the way the rope is coming off the tree to make the saddle comfortable as sometimes it wants to pull you off the platform etc and my guess is that if the rope is way up high you arent gonna be able to make those adjustments and it will make life miserable.

Did you ever take a bag to the hand?

Trying to use a wrist rocket to throw bags, yes. Not with this method, if the hook doesn't release right the bag swings around and hits your arm/shoulder. The elastic seems to take some of the speed from it though because it was more frustrating than painful.

I've found that if I setup trees beforehand and have time to be patient getting the zing line up 25ft it isn't that bad after a few attempts with the spin and release. When I do more run and gun I try to make my life a lot easier and try to shoot for Ys and branches closer to 20ft. The biggest issue is usually the understory. If it is shrubby etc it can be a bit of a nightmare. I end up doing a bit of adjustment to the way the rope is coming off the tree to make the saddle comfortable as sometimes it wants to pull you off the platform etc and my guess is that if the rope is way up high you arent gonna be able to make those adjustments and it will make life miserable.
Agree with everything you wrote there. I usually have a lineman's belt/tether in addition to my climbing rope, so I can be anchored wherever to climb and have a lower point for my tether if the TIP wasn't ideal.

Trying to use a wrist rocket to throw bags, yes. Not with this method, if the hook doesn't release right the bag swings around and hits your arm/shoulder. The elastic seems to take some of the speed from it though because it was more frustrating than painful.
that is encouraging. First thing that came to my mind was a high speed 10 oz bag smashing into my hand. I'm game.

I use a slip knot in the throw line just below waist height, then use an underhand throw to branch I'm aiming for.

Back