• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Public Hunting around Athens Ohio

Seekbigger

SH Member
Before I start, I’m not looking for your honey hole or your saddle hunting presets lol, just general info!

Every year me being a pastor of my church, the brothers from my church and myself take a bow hunting trip. This year we are going Oct 29 through Nov 3rd, we will be hunting around the Strouds Run State Park, maybe Zalenski and or anywhere else we can find lol, we don’t mind driving a to find a good area. Most of us are in good shape and will put boots on the ground covering lots of ground to find some deer. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants some info around me on public land I will be more than happy to help out. Mainly just like to know the areas that would have the best deer population and anything else you guys would want to offer! This is a great bunch of guys and we will be staying in a cabin in Nelsonville if anyone from here would want to come by in the evenings for some good vittles and conversation, you would be very welcomed by the guys! Thanks so much and God Bless!

How did your trip go? Heading to Zaleski for muzzle loader this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a great trip, couple guys connected with some younger bucks! On one all day set I saw a total of 18 deer from the saddle, 9 bucks! Only problem was they were all young ones, so I ate tag soup! I may try to squeeze a late Archery hunt up there before seasons end, probably go to Wayne National Forrest though since it’s closer! Good luck and God Bless

We had a great trip, couple guys connected with some younger bucks! On one all day set I saw a total of 18 deer from the saddle, 9 bucks! Only problem was they were all young ones, so I ate tag soup! I may try to squeeze a late Archery hunt up there before seasons end, probably go to Wayne National Forrest though since it’s closer! Good luck and God Bless

Sweet! Thanks for the info!

waynes a good bet a lot of times. I'm in Gallia county and a good bit of it occupies the SW part of the county. Lot of bucks in there, just a lot of work to get em out. Hunted one spot earlier in the year in another county and had 5 different bucks within range. Just remember no doe kills on public since we're past the regular gun season.

not too bad, especially now that the season opens later and not during the christmas break like it used to. I doubt I even get to go, maybe saturday monring and tuesday

I was wondering about it. First run and gun “out of state” trip for me. If you have any pointers, I’m all ears!

I always look for the spots that are bordering Ag land. the WNF provides bedding and cover next to the coverless farms these days. Only problem is they also tend to get hunted heavy early in the year.

They did away with that rule. See page 8 of the '23-'24 reg book. It's now just one antlerless from all public hunting areas per license year.

I was looking at that. Hoping to bring two home to add to the summer sausage stash I try to keep

You are however only allowed to harvest one doe on public land now, not sure if you caught that part.

It took a little reading but I found that as well. Looks like buying the either sex premier gets an antlered and antlerless tag?

ehd was wicked in Athens co last year and a few fell victim this year. Worst year ever...if there was action, it was just little guys like you said. Challenging with the bonkers acorn crop too

The section of zaleski I was on Friday and Saturday barely had any sign. I didn’t see the first deer. Honestly didn’t expect that but that’s why it’s called hunting not killing I suppose!

I personally believe EHD had way harder (last year) than accounted for followed by the drought this year (and acorn cessation) it was just recipe for a horrid year. While I will try to stay off the soap box podium, there was a bunch of folks "settling" for young bucks this year and not thinking what that will translate to in future years. Have also noted more corn pile remnants on WNF (which is a no-no).

Back