• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick question (one sticking)

jsh909

Quick question for those of you who one stick using a friction hitch as opposed to a mechanical device and also use your rappel rope as your tether.

Do you put anything below your hitch as a stop? Before I started one sticking and used a short tether, I always had a stopper knot near the end of the tether in the event my schwabisch failed or slipped. But now that I use my rappel rope as my tether, I don't have a stopper knot. Just curious as to what others are doing, if anything?

I used this and worked well in the way up without an auto block but on the way down my swabisch wouldn’t lock up when trying to stop take my platform off. But it was a bit too big for my rope so I hopped back on my stick and platform and switched to my 8. I’m going to order appropriate cords and try again.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I wasn't talking about rappelling. I use a figure 8 and my schwabisch for that.

I am literally just talking about while hanging at hunting height while using the rappel rope only as a tether. At that point are you using any safety below the hitch in the event of it slipping on the rope. Not talking about ascending or rappelling, just hanging while hunting.

I don't hunt off of my rappel rope but I do think you have a good plan.
A simple in-line knot of some kind would work for peace of mind or a slip off your platform...

I use an auto block on the rope below the bridge and connect it with a carabiner to my lineman's belt loop or a secondary bridge. The auto block is easy to release or remove and provides secondary security. Other friction hitches work but may not be as easy operate.

I have a Guide ATC that I really like but it is not as convenient as the Gri Gri I use most often. The Guide Atc lets me advance up the rope easily and holds position securely when in guide mode but does not allow for easy downward adjustments. The Gri Gri or similar devices allow for much easier adjustment to position without having to remove a carabiner. If you forget to install the carabiner in the position needed for a rappel and you remove the guide mode carabiner you will have a serious problem without some sort of friction hitch back-up. Just my experience.

Thanks, I don't use any sort of mechanical device, but may consider an auto block to my lineman's loop of some sort of one line knot is not an option.

Yup - I tie an alpine butterfly also and put it on my bridge carabiner. works great

Here is what I did when I was hanging off the Madrock on my rappel rope. There's no reason you couldn't do this below a friction knot. Best part is it comes out easy when you get ready to rappel (forward to the 10:15 mark of the same video for release of the knot).

Here is what I did when I was hanging off the Madrock on my rappel rope. There's no reason you couldn't do this below a friction knot. Best part is it comes out easy when you get ready to rappel (forward to the 10:15 mark of the same video for release of the knot).

Thanks that will do as well. I appreciate it

I put a auto block above my GRIGRI PLUS and it goes in my carabiner on my bridge for backup.

Quick question for those of you who one stick using a friction hitch as opposed to a mechanical device and also use your rappel rope as your tether.

Do you put anything below your hitch as a stop? Before I started one sticking and used a short tether, I always had a stopper knot near the end of the tether in the event my schwabisch failed or slipped. But now that I use my rappel rope as my tether, I don't have a stopper knot. Just curious as to what others are doing, if anything?

If I don't use my Safeguard (which always wins any testing for convenience while climbing) and use a friction or an 8 (yes to ascend), I always have another friction on my hip on the tail end of my rappel rope which is always my tether. I do not use a backup friction when using safeguard, but I do put a bite/stopper knot on the tail end with it once I'm at hunting height.

If I don't use my Safeguard (which always wins any testing for convenience while climbing) and use a friction or an 8 (yes to ascend), I always have another friction on my hip on the tail end of my rappel rope which is always my tether. I do not use a backup friction when using safeguard, but I do put a bite/stopper knot on the tail end with it once I'm at hunting height.

I’ve only ever seen one video on using an 8 to ascend, I’d love to see how you do it if you could post something.

Back