• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quieting the N.T. gear bag

Bogle

SH Member
0b6774010d247b569a0f18701356edfc.jpg

Above is my attempt to quiet my gear bag. I basically had my mother in law sew a fleece replica of the original NT bag. Unfortunately, it wasn't strong enough by itself and the D ring pulled through. I then cut slits on either side of my fleece bag and put my NT bag inside. Personally,I put all my stuff in the bag, hook my NT back seat/band to the Dring and the swivel clip and throw it over my neck. So far it's worked great and u don't have the back/seat band hitting you in the calves.

Boglee

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421624978718.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421624978718.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 420
Have your mom teach you how to use a sewing machine...don't need anything fancy, just a straight stitch, to make most stuff. Opens up a lot of options for custom gear.

boone0 said:
Have your mom teach you how to use a sewing machine...don't need anything fancy, just a straight stitch, to make most stuff. Opens up a lot of options for custom gear.

Yes, check out some of my earlier threads from last summer :D

Those projects came out good quality, they just didn't quite work. It definitely opens the doors for future possibilities.

X2 on learning to sew! My wife wonders if her machine will survive. Lol

Hayward

Ha, Ha. At first I thought I would sew it myself. However, after trying to figure out how to put the thread on the crazy thing I gave up and let her do it. Bad part is my wife's grandmother gave me the sewing machine as she was too old to use it and its brand spanking new.

Bogle said:
Ha, Ha. At first I thought I would sew it myself. However, after trying to figure out how to put the thread on the crazy thing I gave up and let her do it. Bad part is my wife's grandmother gave me the sewing machine as she was too old to use it and its brand spanking new.

hahahaha. it took a youtube video and a good read of the instructions but I figured out how to use mine, and its pretty awesome! My wife has actually had me fix a couple things for her! HAHA

Once you get over the whole "is my man card safe?" thing it opens up a whole new world of gear making and modifying. I have spent the last few days thinking about sewing a tent. That one may prove too complicated tho.

Hayward

woods89 said:
Once you get over the whole "is my man card safe?" thing it opens up a whole new world of gear making and modifying. I have spent the last few days thinking about sewing a tent. That one may prove too complicated tho.

Hayward

Before you sew anything, take a look around the internet for patterns.

I wanted to make a backpack but had a hard time finding patterns for that. I also would need to figure out the "liner" situation to make it rugged and durable. That was a problem with a couple of the things I made.

LOL about the Man Card. I used to sew my hockey equipment all the time, and I sew in taxidermy all the time, but I have never used a sewing machine. Hand stitch everything. I would probably hurt myself with a sewing machine. I'd end up with my thumb sewn to my palm or end up with my hand looking like a catchers mit or something.

It does seem awesome though to be able to make nice custom stuff and not have it take several days to sew by hand.

For years I've had an idea on a custom hunting vest, I did my best to modify an existing one, but sewing one up from scratch would be the real ticket.

If I buy a sewing machine because of you guys, I'm gonna be so angry! :lol:

I was wondering if someone has had the experience of the bag making noise at the wrong time or if that is just ideal. I was also wondering what kind of material are you using instead. Red looked like he was using fleece but it seems like cotton would do nicely. I would like to hear more about what material you guys might use, the ideal shape, and where it works best mounted on the saddle. I appreciate any suggestion as I am listening and looking into what changes might be made in the future.

woods89 said:

Hayward

In high school I took Home Economics because there were a lot of girls in the class :D I found out that I was pretty good at sewing by hand. Oh sure some guys tried to take my "man card" away but I did not let that get to me at all. When I had my first job sewing kayak gear I quickly realized that the industrial machine I was using was the way to go. I sew a few things by hand but after that I spent $800 and bought a Brother that a guy used to sew leather saddle parts with. If anyone buys an industrial machine, make sure it has a "walking foot". This means that what you are sewing will be moved by the feed dog underneath and also by the walking foot. I will never sell my machine.

Redsquirrel, I googled tent patterns last night and needless to say the wheels in my head were turning today. Some good info out there!

Hayward

That's nothing........ Try telling your 72 year old, green beret, ranger, jungle expert, Purple Heart recipient, college middle linebacker dad from rural Alabama that his son has a sewing machine! He still calls me to ask if I've made my wife any clothes!!

You guys are right, the options are limitless. Im just not sure that I can put the thread back on the crazy thing!

1saddleguy, I'm not sure how to put your caption in to my response but for me the bag seemed to be the noisiest part of the system. The issue was when it rubbed against the EVO itself. I haven't had any problems once I'm set up its when I'm walking in, getting ready at the base of the tree and pulling stuff out of it. The one I made was made out of fleece but I had problems with screw in steps etc... poking through. I then put the fleece on the inside of the bag as well to help quiet it some more.

Personally, I think I would like two smaller pouches maybe about the width of a two litter. One for my steps and one for my tree strap and steps. Often times when you are pulling out your steps you end up pulling out your tree strap and you run the risk of dropping it. Not to mention, the carabiners hitting the steps can be a little noisy if you aren't careful. The one thing I do like about the larger bag is that I can put everything in one bag, hook my back strap to it, put it around my neck and I don't have to carry a backpack etc...

1saddleguy said:
I was wondering if someone has had the experience of the bag making noise at the wrong time or if that is just ideal. I was also wondering what kind of material are you using instead. Red looked like he was using fleece but it seems like cotton would do nicely. I would like to hear more about what material you guys might use, the ideal shape, and where it works best mounted on the saddle. I appreciate any suggestion as I am listening and looking into what changes might be made in the future.

Casey,

I will take some pictures of my setup so you can see how I have it now, and how we can make it better. I tried to make it as similar to the way the tree saddle bag was (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). I really like having my linemans belt and tree strap attached to the saddle at all times, that way i can just grab the saddle, throw it on and go and I'm never forgetting anything. This is the only bag that I like having on my saddle, for everything else I use a backpack. Here is a pic of the tree saddle bag.

I have not given the new tribe bag a chance to make noise in the woods. As soon as I got it, I kept it for storing extra stuff in the car. It is a nice quality bag but the material is too noisy when it rubs up against anything. This would be our biggest problem when walking through the woods rubbing against brush. I initially thought that this would be a problem with the seat on the evolution also, but because it is mostly behind my butt I haven't had any issues with that. I am a big fan of the microfleeces for how quiet they are. They are really good at dampening noise also. I have been thinking about a microfleece pouch that was lined with some sort of canvas to help make it more rigid and durable. Maybe you have some better ideas? I am not a fan of cotton for anything hunting because it isn't very durable.

I like the bag mounted right on my left hip. This way I have the lineman's belt attached to the D loop permanently on that side. (On a side note, if possible I would like to see the D loops placed further forward on the saddle. As the season has progressed and my clothing has gotten bulkier, I have to tighten the saddle less tight around my waist. This places that D loop further back on my hip. It has gotten to the point where it is almost under the edge of my backpack and I have trouble reaching it and getting to it. I have to be very careful when hooking up my linemans belt, and it could be potentially dangerous and result in a fall.)

I will try to get that pic of my current setup soon. If you have any other questions let me know!

-Scott

Attachments

• IMG_20150121_194251_630 copy.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 223
Back