• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling down rope question

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
I sometimes have a problem on rough bark trees after I rappel down. When I go to pull my Yale bandit rope down with my paracord, it will hang up or get stuck on the bark. It takes some pulling real hard on both ropes to break it free. Anyone one have this problem? I tie the paracord to the bottom of the loop. On smoother trees I have no problem.

Also how do yall keep yalls paracord from knotting up?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
The first question I can't really help you with because I'm never girth hitched around the trunk but as to your second. Try wrapping it around your thumb and pinky fingers in a figure8 pattern then close to the end a loop through the one side like you would do to tie off your climbing rope. Then do the same thing to the other loop of the eight.

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN

I attached my Bow rope to the tail of my tether stopper knot. It gives you a bit more leverage than hooking to the fig 8 knot.

As you pull the bow rope to the side with one hand, you just feed the tether rope back up a little with the other and it comes loose nicely.

Reactions: Birddog and alukban

TheTracker

Oct 30, 2016
I'd try a different rope, something with a firmer sheath. sterling htp works good from what I've been told.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Bandit definitely sticks to the bark 'better' (it's a feature not a flaw!).
Bluewater Static falls a lot easier.

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
The 'best' solution is to use a small-ish Static with a lightweight screw gate ONLY for descent. It makes the transition from tether to rappel easier and you don't have to compromise by making your tether skinny/expensive/unsafe and your rappel rope can be light/static and easy to retrieve.

If I do that...I am thinking about getting some Cayoneering rope in 8mm. But I would be using a Sterling ATS for rope that skinny. There is also 9mm canyon rope

BUT it takes a little practice to get your rappel rope loaded so it doesn't slide down the tree. You have to set it with your hand while you sit and load it to keep it in place.

Reactions: alukban

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
So is there a site that sells that rope by the foot??

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
That's still high for me lol. Not looking to spend that much right now.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
Red, do u like the grigri2. How is it coming down. Do u ever have any problems?

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Red, do u like the grigri2. How is it coming down. Do u ever have any problems?

I like it. It is much smaller than the petzl rig, which I like about it. It is definitely not as nice, and sometimes it can be a little bouncy on the way down, but for what I'm using it for, it works well.

boone0

Sep 28, 2014
I don't mind rappelling on the GG2, gets smoother with practice, really fun to just bomb out of the tree (probably not the safest way but whatever) with it. I use 11mm or 10.5mm rope though, no experience on anything smaller.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Eaton

Jan 11, 2016
Thanks guys .. I ordered some 9mm rope that red suggested and can't wait to see how light it will be. Also ordered the grigri 2 to see how I like it. I been using the atc.

Reactions: bubba g