• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ratchet

Doofy

Does anyone just use a ratchet strap instead of the OC buckle?

I cant imagine the ratchet being louder than me walking or climbing the tree. Also it seems like it would get platform steps tighter and it will be less likely to break.

I do. If you get the feel for it it's pretty easy. The only difference with the ratchet strap is if you make a mistake and it "clicks", it's loud and unnatural sounding.

I use to use a ratchet for my camera arm all the time. It can be done quietly. Stronger too, but also heavier. Where it shines over the boat buckle is it can be tightened slightly, then you can adjust your steps just right, then added a few more clicks to get very tight.

Re: RE: Re: Ratchet

swampsnyper said:
I use to use a ratchet for my camera arm all the time. It can be done quietly. Stronger too, but also heavier. Where it shines over the boat buckle is it can be tightened slightly, then you can adjust your steps just right, then added a few more clicks to get very tight.
Very good point on the slight adjustment!

Bogle said:
I do. If you get the feel for it it's pretty easy. The only difference with the ratchet strap is if you make a mistake and it "clicks", it's loud and unnatural sounding.
Glad to hear I wont be the only one lol.

I tested both this morning and had better luck with the ratchet. That's probably the route I'll go this season.

I used ratchet straps for years before finding the OC buckle. I used it for most of the year last season. I like it, but it does have some cons. One is that the OCB doesn't work equally well on all types of trees for me. On smooth barked trees, like a Beech, it was really difficult to get tight enough. On really thick barked pine trees I had the same problem. This isn't an issue for everyone so it could just be me. It works extremely well on hardwoods like Oaks and Maples. It's much faster/easier/quieter to setup than a ratchet strap.

However, I never encountered a tree that my ratchet strap wouldn't work with. It feels ROCK SOLID once you get it setup. The downfalls of the ratchet are weight, noise and threading the line through the buckle.

I don't think there is a clear winner here. I think it really boils down to personal preference.

I use a rachet. It's not that loud. Pull it tight as possible and u only have a couple of cranks to do anyway

If you use the straps with a hook, you would not have to thread it through the ratchet. I got really tired of that step. And I still don't really like how the plastic steps clang against each during set up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No matter what I did I got a ton of noise from the strap when I shifted my weight from one step to the other. Like a twisting rope sound.

I put together a platform that I will use on my top step and hopefully not need a strap with steps at all

I've never gotten noise from my strap after it's tightened down. That's strange.

Using your top step as a platform is a really good option. I DIY'd a dual top step for my LW sticks and it works great. I've found that I still needed a strap with 2 Ameristeps (1 on each side of the tree) to make some shots.

I've never owned an OCB so I'm a ratchet guy.
I've never had any issues with excessive noise when setting it up. I get it TIGHT to the tree. I like to cup my hand over the ratchet to muffle the 'clicks' when getting it set up.

At about 220 lbs or so, I'm very comfortable with a ratchet, not sure I would be with an OCB.

g2outdoors said:
I've never gotten noise from my strap after it's tightened down. That's strange.

Using your top step as a platform is a really good option. I DIY'd a dual top step for my LW sticks and it works great. I've found that I still needed a strap with 2 Ameristeps (1 on each side of the tree) to make some shots.
Maybe I need a better strap. Im using a cheap walmart one right now. I still need to test out my platform to see if I need a strap and steps in addition to it or not.

Scott F said:
I've never owned an OCB so I'm a ratchet guy.
I've never had any issues with excessive noise when setting it up. I get it TIGHT to the tree. I like to cup my hand over the ratchet to muffle the 'clicks' when getting it set up.

At about 220 lbs or so, I'm very comfortable with a ratchet, not sure I would be with an OCB.
Im 207 right now. I was 228 last time I tested my ratchet setup and had it really tight. I think I just need a heavier or thicker strap.

Yes. That's the issue. Those thin nylon straps are garbage. Get a heavy duty one and you'll notice a big difference.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

g2outdoors said:
Yes. That's the issue. Those thin nylon straps are garbage. Get a heavy duty one and you'll notice a big difference.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Thank you. I will pick one up soon

Back