• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rattle Proof my EZKut???

Plinker22

Alright fellow diaper wearers.
I just got my first EZ Kut hand drill in the mail today.

This thing looks awesome but my first thought was, "this thing is making metal noise from tons of spot!" Yikes!!!

Don't make me re-invent the best methods. How did you guys silence yours? Pictures would a nice addition too. I'm old and slow, so pictures might help.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: PJC
Alright fellow diaper wearers.
I just got my first EZ Kut hand drill in the mail today.

This thing looks awesome but my first thought was, "this thing is making metal noise from tons of spot!" Yikes!!!

Don't make me re-invent the best methods. How did you guys silence yours? Pictures would a nice addition too. I'm old and slow, so pictures might help.

Thanks in advance.

Just put stealth strips on mine last week. Made a huge difference. I also made washers out of milk carton plastic to silence the slip sleeve.
1dc8f84c6da9c0dc7969f62d232dd171.jpg
93b39aa10edfddd965547c008ef4d5e4.jpg
c05e28a513c397bffeffa6ecb12b2063.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nylon washers were too thick. I use a small piece of string wrapped around the bit to make it easy to pull out. It goes back in snug with the stealth strip inside.

You beat me to the punch!

Stealth strips and DIY washers will quiet it right on down. Also, it's pretty simple to do a little prying on the casing to make the bit easier to open. You could probably file it too.

I need to do that to mine with the stealth strips. I felt like a complete idiot when I pulled it from the package, I couldn't figure out how to get the bit out of the sleeve lol. A loop of paracord over the bit helps for sure.

I had to fling mine and rapp it against something to get it to open but it would rattle in the closed position. So when I got it open I never closed it again without a piece of rope wrapped around it.

I had to fling mine and rapp it against something to get it to open but it would rattle in the closed position. So when I got it open I never closed it again without a piece of rope wrapped around it.

I really like this idea!

I started mine with a small loop of 550 cord in the hole across from the crank handle. I would just close the bit on it. You guys inspired me. I cut the paracord off and payed it down the center of a piece of camo duct tape. Taped it into the inside of the drill so the bit closes against the paracord. Then put washers on both ends of the slip sleeve and crank handle. Cut them out of water bottle lids. Cut two more out of a thick jug. Put them on each side of where the bit bolts in. No rattles.

How's the noise level using the drill after you guys have silenced it? Is it quiet enough to setup within 70 yards of a bedding area?
I would say absolutely if you've pre-drilled the tree, and possibly if it was a first-time setup. On a windy/rainy day, sure. I personally wouldn't hunt a buck bed that close unless it was preset.

Guess I'm just not "beast" enough.

I would say absolutely if you've pre-drilled the tree, and possibly if it was a first-time setup. On a windy/rainy day, sure. I personally wouldn't hunt a buck bed that close unless it was preset.

Guess I'm just not "beast" enough.

Hahahaha "you're not even in the game!" Thanks man. I'm going to pick one up and give it a shot on the one few private areas I have to hunt. I don't even think I'll make it to them this year. You guys make this bolt option look as good as Kate Upton...or Dave T in a hammock wearing crocs ;)

I can't thank you guys enough. ALL this info is golden. The string and milk jug is genius.

The pics are helpful too.

I use cordless for presets. Hand drill for everything else.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No issues. Just take your time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I just got mine out and drilled a tree in my backyard. It's dead quiet out here in the boonies. It never made a squeak or a rattle. I think your carabiners, zippers, and boots squeaking would make more noise than this thing.

I just am a pessimist when it comes to getting the drop on a bedded deer. The odds are totally stacked in their favor. But that's a discussion for another thread.

If you think you can hunt a bedded deer with sticks, spurs, stepps, etc, then you should be able to drill a tree and do the same.

It DEFINITELY doesn't make more noise than my other options.

Man you guys are great. Thanks for all the help.

The reason I'm so curious about the noise is because I often times end up adjusting to another tree from the one I prepped. If I go in with just the hand drill and some bolts, I want to be able to adjust on the fly without waking up the neighbourhood.

Back