• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommend a good field dressing knife

Black Titan

I currently carry a Buck 119. While it's sharp enough to cut you just by looking at it, it's a bit heavy and large, and my dad pointed out that the grip is a super slick smooth plastic, which probably won't be good when hands are wet.

I'd prefer a way to texture the grip on my buck, but what other knives are out there that come razor sharp and keep a good edge? (My sharpening skills are terrible, but I'm working on it)

Dad swears by Martini, but of the couple I've had, their edge is garbage after a use or two.

BT

This has been my go to for probably 10yrs
OUTDOOR EDGE SwingBlaze - Two Blades in One, Rotating Skinning and Gutting Fixed Blade Hunting Knife - Includes Nylon Sheath (Orange) https://a.co/d/9e7BSWo
Btw meant to add I’ve been doing gutless & quartering for 3-4 years now & zipper blade is amazing for opening sections of hide so you can fold back the skin to break down the animal……

This has been my go to for probably 10yrs
OUTDOOR EDGE SwingBlaze - Two Blades in One, Rotating Skinning and Gutting Fixed Blade Hunting Knife - Includes Nylon Sheath (Orange) https://a.co/d/9e7BSWo
That's my go-to as well. Going to try the classic Schrade Sharpfinger this year. Bought one, lost it, bought another, lost it, bought a third, found the first two.... Might as well get some blood on one of them.

A couple of years ago I picked up a $10 Mora at the local fleet supply and smoked a fawn buck on the way home. Got a possession tag for him and gutless-method processed him with that new Mora. Wasn't so sharp at the end of it but it did just fine.

I use a Wiebe soft handled skinning knife. Trappers use this one for precision skinning lots of hides. I love it for skinning/deboning in the field. I do carry a quick sharpener with me in my kill kit. I process one side, flip the deer over, run the sharpener over the knife a few times, and I'm back in business. Both are cheap, well made, and have been used for many years.

dGpDFjbgQUOs7xSkz7SrMQ - Copy.jpg0qttVUbfT6G9OJRwpNWgmQ - Copy.jpg

I like a small sharp knife with a good grip to gut deer. I started using my safety neck knife last year and I love it. The blade is a little over 2" long. It is great for unzipping the belly, I just put my pointer finger on the tip to keep it from getting into the guts and unzip the belly in seconds. It is also great inside the body cavity as the blade is the perfect length not to cut what you don't want cut when you are shoulders deep in the body cavity and have to feel your way around. The grip is excellent and has 3 strong finger reliefs and your pinkey can wrap around the chord fob so no matter how wet and slippery it gets in there the knife is not coming out of your hands.
61-DgI-LPFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg61duiXTa68L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I like a small sharp knife with a good grip to gut deer. I started using my safety neck knife last year and I love it. The blade is a little over 2" long. It is great for unzipping the belly, I just put my pointer finger on the tip to keep it from getting into the guts and unzip the belly in seconds. It is also great inside the body cavity as the blade is the perfect length not to cut what you don't want cut when you are shoulders deep in the body cavity and have to feel your way around. The grip is excellent and has 3 strong finger reliefs and your pinkey can wrap around the chord fob so no matter how wet and slippery it gets in there the knife is not coming out of your hands.
View attachment 94182View attachment 94183
I never thought of that. Especially for field dressing we don't need as much knife as we think. That's about the size of most of the Havalon blades.

Benchmades with S30V steel have been serving me well. I've had my eyes on Steep Country hunter for the hi vis handle at some point, but to carry on the hunt, a folder is more practical.

Fällkniven F1 is nice too, just the VG-10 doesn't hold edge as well. S30V will skin a moose, strop lightly and it's good to go again. VG-10 will need stropping more often.

I never thought of that. Especially for field dressing we don't need as much knife as we think. That's about the size of most of the Havalon blades.
I was using an outdoor edge 3.5" folder and got sick of sticking my non-knife hand/fingers with the longer blade when I was working blind in the body cavity.

I have been using this knife from Cutco for years. In probably 30+ years I have gutted and skinned untold numbers of deer and have only sent it in for sharpening once. Its serrated and they sharpen for free for life. it is just amazingly sharp and stays that way. It's worth a look, lots of reviews of people saying they do lots of elf too and it holds it edge through numerous animals. Best knife I have ever owned. They have a gut hook model as well which I would probably get if I ever needed a new one. If you get one, get the DoubleD edge, it is amazing.

This is what I use. Gets sharps, stays sharp, and is short enough for cavity work. I trashed my mora once I got two of these. On in my pack and one in a kill kit innthe truck.

ABKT Tac AB004B-BRK Shadow Predator Fixed Blade Knife https://a.co/d/d1vUk3P

I really like the Argali knives. It easily does an entire deer. I also like the Rainier Fastpak. It’s in elmax steel and can be bought for about $100. If you like the hard steels, the Ridge (belt) knife is about $100.
For budget; the Outdoor Edge and Mora knives are hard to beat.

I have been using this knife from Cutco for years. In probably 30+ years I have gutted and skinned untold numbers of deer and have only sent it in for sharpening once. Its serrated and they sharpen for free for life. it is just amazingly sharp and stays that way. It's worth a look, lots of reviews of people saying they do lots of elf too and it holds it edge through numerous animals. Best knife I have ever owned. They have a gut hook model as well which I would probably get if I ever needed a new one. If you get one, get the DoubleD edge, it is amazing.

So THATS why I didn't get everything I wanted for Christmas last year!

On a more serious note, lots of interesting choices here. I never would have thought of cutco. For some reason i just equate them with kitchen knives. Didnt know they did outdoors type knives. Thats awesome if you have only had to have it sharpened once.

those of you with the folders/double blade swivel type, any issues with getting gunk inside the handle thats hard to clean out?

I've been scanning on the web, seems this 119 is available from the buck custom shop with an ironwood grip for a huge upcharge. Beautiful grip though. I may look into buying a chunk of wood and making another grip for it, and using it on at least one deer. Then pass it down to my son when he gets old enough.

BT

Last edited:
Back