• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rewriting the script...

Justhanginground

I'm new to saddle hunting and everyone here has been a wealth of knowledge. Why is it that there are not more use is out there. It seems the idea of hunting from a saddle is looked down on. Everything I have read and learned up to this point tell me I will be able to hunt those areas I only wished I could with the traditional treestands. Do they have there place...absolutely. I think there just isn't that drive to push it like the more commercialized treestands. You don't see David Blanton,Michael Waddell, or Bill Jordan hanging off the side of a tree. Can't wait to see what future holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know what the future will hold for saddle hunting. I see as many people going toward tower stands as I do lightweight portable setups. I haven’t sat in anything but a saddle this year so far. The number of people willing to try a saddle is small in comparison to total hunters. Then most of those have never heard of a saddle. I started researching saddles I guess seven years ago. Maybe a little longer. Until pigmageddon I had only met two people who hunted from a saddle. It would probably help if someone sold a saddle hunting system. Saddle climbing system and steps or platform together. Lone wolf tried it but the platform was too big and the saddle didn’t go over well. I thought @SteppsbyWildEdgeInc was getting close but he has his hands full right now.

I don’t know what the future will hold for saddle hunting. I see as many people going toward tower stands as I do lightweight portable setups. I haven’t sat in anything but a saddle this year so far. The number of people willing to try a saddle is small in comparison to total hunters. Then most of those have never heard of a saddle. I started researching saddles I guess seven years ago. Maybe a little longer. Until pigmageddon I had only met two people who hunted from a saddle. It would probably help if someone sold a saddle hunting system. Saddle climbing system and steps or platform together. Lone wolf tried it but the platform was too big and the saddle didn’t go over well. I thought @SteppsbyWildEdgeInc was getting close but he has his hands full right now.

Think it takes a group like aero hunter hitting trade shows and putting out quality videos as well as locals talking it up during conservation days. We need to target the young hunter. I've been chasing deer for almost 30 years now and I'm new to saddle hunting. I've hunted out of about everything but no one has been able to make a run and gun set except the saddle style. Deer are getting smarter I see it every year. I'm not educating them they are changing as they see conditions change. I have to be able to adapt to their movements faster.

I'm happy it hasn't become more popular actually.
If it were; there may be many a more hunter encroaching into the areas I head into now pushing me farther in.
I really like the community here. A smallish group of guys/gals who love what we do....HUNT.

I'm new to saddle hunting and everyone here has been a wealth of knowledge. Why is it that there are not more use is out there. It seems the idea of hunting from a saddle is looked down on. Everything I have read and learned up to this point tell me I will be able to hunt those areas I only wished I could with the traditional treestands. Do they have there place...absolutely. I think there just isn't that drive to push it like the more commercialized treestands. You don't see David Blanton,Michael Waddell, or Bill Jordan hanging off the side of a tree. Can't wait to see what future holds.

@g2outdoors and I are working on changing this here, and @Boudreaux and New Tribe are doing their part.

If it were; there may be many a more hunter encroaching into the areas I head into now pushing me farther in.
I really like the community here. A smallish group of guys/gals who love what we do....HUNT.
I'm torn on this myself. On one hand, I want to keep all this great info to myself to give me the advantage that most others don't want to try.
On the other hand I look at the great example of @John Eberhart who has been promoting this stuff for years and I feel a duty to continue his work. We have something great going on here with this site and we're going to continue to spread the word.

Taking the deer hunting group as a whole, there are not as many hunters like us that are willing to be mobile hunters. Most don’t want a stand that they would have to practice using. We live in a plug and play world. To work at something, pufffffff.

Taking the deer hunting group as a whole, there are not as many hunters like us that are willing to be mobile hunters. Most don’t want a stand that they would have to practice using. We live in a plug and play world. To work at something, pufffffff.

I was just talking to a friend tonight and was telling him about my new saddle. His response was "I went the other way and built a big condo tree stand and put an old recliner in it" I told him I bet my saddle was more comfortable then his old recliner.

I was just talking to a friend tonight and was telling him about my new saddle. His response was "I went the other way and built a big condo tree stand and put an old recliner in it" I told him I bet my saddle was more comfortable then his old recliner.

Probably not a bow hunter? I can see the condo on stilts if all you want to do is shoot long range with a rifle over a large area.

I have seen kids in saddles. Hitting on swampsnyper thought of the plug and play. He hit it right on the head. Kids see all these tv shows of these guys sitting in fancy condo treestands and shooting 200' deer. They think that's what it is about rather then the time in nature. They aren't realistic. I told mine the trophy is in your eyes. Put in the time and be versatile and you might be blessed enough to have an opportunity at a giant. They also know that those giants were small buck once upon a time. Be patient.

Probably not a bow hunter? I can see the condo on stilts if all you want to do is shoot long range with a rifle over a large area.

Not a fan of long range hunting deer. No effort I like knowing I scouted right and put in the time with my cameras an scouting that I can take my deer with a bow. Anyone can point and shoot. Hard to beat an old stick and string.

The current hunting media/tv shows are the downfall of our sport. It is up to us to teach new/youth hunters that things aren't like they see on tv.

I say that all the time, but I may be wrong. Maybe more correctly, it’s the downfall of our hunting style. They do generate a lot of money into the hunting industry, they bring more hunters, push for innovative new products.
I grew up with bass fishing being my number one activity. Use to fish every Saturday and watch fishing shows after church every Sunday. Then BassMasters blew up the tournament crowds. I fished a few small tournaments but now the waters are so crowded I rather just stay home. Way more boats on the water than ever. Seems like there is a tournament every weekend. To me, the competition and everyone wanting to be somebody just ruined it for me. I lost the love for it. It was a sacred thing to be out on the water with my dad. It’s just not peaceful anymore. Only thing saving hunting from going the same route is private property. I love hunting public land but if that was the only place for all the hunters to go, it would be ruined fast!

I say that all the time, but I may be wrong. Maybe more correctly, it’s the downfall of our hunting style. They do generate a lot of money into the hunting industry, they bring more hunters, push for innovative new products.
I grew up with bass fishing being my number one activity. Use to fish every Saturday and watch fishing shows after church every Sunday. Then BassMasters blew up the tournament crowds. I fished a few small tournaments but now the waters are so crowded I rather just stay home. Way more boats on the water than ever. Seems like there is a tournament every weekend. To me, the competition and everyone wanting to be somebody just ruined it for me. I lost the love for it. It was a sacred thing to be out on the water with my dad. It’s just not peaceful anymore. Only thing saving hunting from going the same route is private property. I love hunting public land but if that was the only place for all the hunters to go, it would be ruined fast!

Public land hold some monsters. That one reason to get in a saddle I can simply go future then the other guy who is carrying in a bulky climber. We don't have the "perfectly straight tree"

I miss ESPN outdoors! They used to actually show some good stuff on weekend mornings!
Public land hold some monsters. That one reason to get in a saddle I can simply go future then the other guy who is carrying in a bulky climber. We don't have the "perfectly straight tree"

I completely agree. I hunt 99.9% public land.

Folks also see it as dangerous. We tell them what we do and they say...."Man you are going to kill yourself" It is also fairly physical and some folks don't want to exert the effort for what they see as minimal comfort and/or advantage. "Why do that when I can climb into a elevated blind over a feeder and text all morning?" Why do I saddle hunt? Because its the answer to what I have been looking for my entire deer hunting career...a lightweight portable way to get in an elevated position in the most quiet manner possible..ninja quiet....I love to walk...a lot, and toting that big hunk of aluminum or steel around on my back was taking a lot of the joy. Now I walk and if I want to stop and hunt...boom....don't like that spot...boom hit another. Just wish that I had discovered it sooner.

Momma used to say.."The devil put Bill Dance on tv on Sunday night to keep folks from going to church for second service!" She also said that about Fat Albert that came on right before we would leave the door for Sunday School in the morning. :tearsofjoy::innocent::eek::smilingimp::(:mad:

I believe that santa will put a saddle under my tree for christmas and am excited about starting this journey. I also am an outdoor writer as a hobby and am part of an organization called SEOPA (South Eastern outdoor Press association). We just got back from a convention at kentucky Lake Dam and were able to talk to various manufacturers about new products. Which, I in turn try to get the good ones more media. I think it would be great if some guys from here or new tribe could go to our next one in Florence SC in the fall of 2018. Have a few saddles for folks to try and possibly do a seminar on saddle hunting. I am trying to get set up to go to saddle palooza to get article ideas and more info.
If anyone is interested let me know and i can get you in contact with the organization. I think this needs more exposure as a great safe way to hunt.

I
I agree with this, I almost don't want more people to know, especially where I hunt. Heavy pressure and limited areas

Back