• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope climbing - rope placement

boone0

So, I finally made it into the woods. Ran a little late and didn't have a tree prepped. Busted out the throw line after choosing a tree, bam...hit the spot first time in the dark and got into the tree just in time to spook a buck when putting an arrow on my bow. Decent hunt, no shots but some encouraging deer sightings.

On my way out I found some good sign and decided to prep a tree. 10 throws later I finally got it and left, but it took too long and made a ton of noise.

So for those of you climbing rope, have you found a better method of getting the throw line in the tree? I tried a sling shot but it's too unreliable. One or two out of five shots will give a good throw.

So, I finally made it into the woods. Ran a little late and didn't have a tree prepped. Busted out the throw line after choosing a tree, bam...hit the spot first time in the dark and got into the tree just in time to spook a buck when putting an arrow on my bow. Decent hunt, no shots but some encouraging deer sightings.

On my way out I found some good sign and decided to prep a tree. 10 throws later I finally got it and left, but it took too long and made a ton of noise.

So for those of you climbing rope, have you found a better method of getting the throw line in the tree? I tried a sling shot but it's too unreliable. One or two out of five shots will give a good throw.
I'm impressed you did that in the dark!

Anytime I've hunted like this I have the same experience. It is a good experience if I can get it up in the first couple tries, bad after that because I get frustated and feel like I'm under a time constraint. Last year I decided when I hunted this method I would sacrifice position/height so that I could at least get up and hunt without stressing out. I did shoot one doe from the rope last year. Having a preset pull rope does help, but most of the spots I need this I can't really do that either.

I was impressed too lol.

I tried a few methods in the yard today. I had the best success throwing with one hand, lobbing from my right side. Sling shot wasn't working. Tried sling shot with fishing line and it worked but I'm not sure I want to complicate things more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know if you tried the cradle toss technique but it works pretty good for keeping the throw straight. We aren't going very high, a throw line should give plenty of height especially with the newer style small diameter lines.

I have been kicking around the idea of adding weight to an old arrow. Possibly a pound and using my bow to get it up over the branch.

I do you mean swinging it between your legs "granny toss" style, Brydan? I tried that initially but thought it was harder to be accurate and easier to get caught on stuff.

Bow fishing arrow with a spent 20gauge shell and and shot tapped to the end to make it dive sooner. You already have the bow with you just have to carry an extra arrow.

(Edit) Should have said. Works great just don't forget your arrow under your treestand when you leave for the night..... ;) (Not that I would ever do that)

I do you mean swinging it between your legs "granny toss" style, Brydan? I tried that initially but thought it was harder to be accurate and easier to get caught on stuff.

Yes that's it. I've known some competition climbers that were very accurate with that technique but I didn't like it too much either. I have a feeling the larger diameter slickline we used to use made it a little more cumbersome. I'd like to try to the newer small diameter throw lines, I don't know but suspect they'd work better.

I use dynaglide and like it but don't have much to compare it to.

Might give that fiberglass arrow thing a try. At what point do you have to worry about an arrow breaking because its got too much weight at the tip?

I've never used dynaglide but it has a lot of good reviews. I'd like to get some jet set and give it a whirl. Some Arbos I was reading were talking about going all the way down to an 8oz bag with good results. I suspect that may hang up on really rough bark though. A lot of people used to use 12oz with slickline but I had to go to 18oz to get it through everything

Last edited:
I use dynaglide and like it but don't have much to compare it to.

Might give that fiberglass arrow thing a try. At what point do you have to worry about an arrow breaking because its got too much weight at the tip?

I couldn't tell you but mine and my buddy's arrows were pretty front heavy and I shoot at 70# without any problems. Just add weight gradually until the arrow nose dives.

Back