• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Retrieval

Whispers Death

Finally made it out to the woods to get my ropes and foot pegs. I had 4 trees in this area. My wife and our Yorkie tagged along.

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Looks like you guys had fun, especially the little one! You left your climbing ropes up? I thought you were leaving paracord up?

I generally have about 10 ropes out during the course of the season. No pull down cord on them though. If someone wants to steal a rope, they have to climb all the way up and re-tie the cinch.

I generally have about 10 ropes out during the course of the season. No pull down cord on them though. If someone wants to steal a rope, they have to climb all the way up and re-tie the cinch.

You don't worry about rodent damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehhhhh.........Even if they chewed half way through it, still talking 4000lbs of original 8k breaking strength. Anyway, I made it through another year safely. Inspected them all and good to go for next year.

Ohhh and my signature should explain where the name came from.
I like how our group accountability allows us to challenge one another to be safe. Our safety committee is great. I have been challenged too. It only takes one Alvin to ruin a day.

275147_082.jpg

Our families could suffer the consequences of our carelessness.

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate this is but a guy selling me some climbing rope said they will leave most of it alone unless you sweat on the ropes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Not sure how accurate this is but a guy selling me some climbing rope said they will leave most of it alone unless you sweat on the ropes.

Could it be salt in the sweat that they are attracted

I bet so. I've seen an axe handle chewed on overnight when it was left at a spot I was working on as a kid. That was the explanation given to me at the time by an old timer. He said you could leave any piece of wood that was used when working, and the spot where your hands were the most is exactly where the chewing would be.

That was his opinion. He works at an outdoor store and deals with climbing ropes all the time. I told him what I was using it for and he told be to be careful and not sweat on them. I would probably still err on the side of caution personally but he believed they liked that salt.

Might use caution leaving climbing lines in trees as UV light could degrade the fibers and might be unseen. As been mentioned rodents do like nesting material also so knawing on the rope is always a possibility. Be careful whatever you do.

I put up paracord pull up rope and leave in a the trees- cheaper than climbing rope and then you can quickly pull up and cinch a climbing rope.

That is a great idea....paracord..... Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.....and my rope is rated to be out in the sunlight all the time. It is tree climbing rope with a UV resistant sheath. I have been doing this for 7 years and my ropes all look like new. Having paracord up in a tree is not nearly as fast as just walking up to the tree and hooking up your ascenders to a rope that is already set. In fact, I would bet it is more dangerous to set a rope in the dark and not have it set in a stable position, than to already have a rope there that could have been nibbled on. I mean it would be just as feasible that it could get chewed on in one night and I'll bet there are a bunch of guys here that leave them up for a week or 3. Cautious is good.....sit on the rope.....give it a few good bounces and climb.

Reactions: PJC
I would also like to read about some substantiated stories of people getting injured after rodents chewed on their ropes......not talking about ropes getting chewed on.....I know that happens. I'm talking about a dude climbing up a tree to hunt and his rope breaking due to rodent damage causing him to fall.

Back