• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Vs Web Cobra buckle belt

Craft518

SH Member
Currently on the Cruzr XC with a cobra buckle upgrade but I’ve got my eye on the CGM Cobra but it’s got that rope belt. I really like Cruzr but the CGM has some features I’m looking for. I’m interested in that “no metal” option but wondering your thoughts on this. Hot spots from the rope? Carry pouch weight well? Anyone regret having it? Anyone get it and swap it to a strap in the open channel? Thanks all.

Can’t speak to the comparison between the two, but I purchased a cgm cobra this past summer and have been very pleased with it. Came from a latitude method 2 and the rope belt option was something I was specifically seeking. To me it carry’s the weight better than a buckled belt and I haven’t experienced and hot spots or pinching in 2 seasons of using a rope belt.

I ordered mine with a buckle. I got a rope to replace it. No issues. I was a doubter at first. But not regret. I believe Jerry tested it with the rope belt as well. So it does what it needs to do.

I ordered mine with a buckle. I got a rope to replace it. No issues. I was a doubter at first. But not regret. I believe Jerry tested it with the rope belt as well. So it does what it needs to do.
So does that mean the buckle and webbing ride in the channel as well? I was wondering if they sewed that webbing in or if it could be replaced. Any photos of yours I could get a peak at?

I have the CGM webbed belt, not the buckle type, and like it. Jerry sent me a rope belt also, but the webbed belt is very comfortable and easy to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the CGM webbed belt, not the buckle type, and like it. Jerry sent me a rope belt also, but the webbed belt is very comfortable and easy to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s really great to hear. Did he send the rope belt on his own or did you request both in case you did t like the web belt? Was there additional cost to get both options? The big question I am trying to find out about is do all the belts go through that back waist channel the same way?

The CGM saddles have a sleeve so you could put about whatever belt you want in there. Here is a pic of the cobra I sold showing the belt sleeve.
The sleeve is sewn in with 2in webbing, so you wouldn't want 2in wide webbing belt I don't think. Other than that about any rope (tied with an adjustable bend) or 1in wide webbing with cobra buckles or I've even thought to use frame buckles.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231106_093949_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231106_093949_Gallery.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 45
I have a Cobra that came with the rope belt and I swapped to a buckled belt. Nothing wrong the rope I'm just one of those people who prefer to put my saddle on without stepping into it or pulling it over my head. (I also switched to a removable bridge).

@87v6bird @Chrighton this is exactly what I was looking for!!! Sold on this honestly was just toying with these details before I made the order. Love the look of the saddle and all the features. I have an extra cobra buckle in house if I wanna switch.

I started out with a Latitude Method saddle with the rope belt. I have a Cruzr XC with the cobra buckle currently. I much preferred the rope belt and I'm actually looking at switching to the CGM Cobra saddle as well.

I started out with a Latitude Method saddle with the rope belt. I have a Cruzr XC with the cobra buckle currently. I much preferred the rope belt and I'm actually looking at switching to the CGM Cobra saddle as well.
Care to expand on what you like better about the rope than the buckle system?

I've used both off and on.. if given the option on the saddle I go for rope belt everytime. Carries well, super easy to adjust and never loosens. I just put one on my tethrd lockdown aswell. Rope is the way to go for me.

The rope belt is absolutely superior to a webbing belt!

I will switch any saddle I own from here on to a rope belt if I can.
If I can't, I'll get someone to cut and sew a channel to run a rope through it.

I can't figure out how to tie the 'Adjustable Bend' that Latitude uses so I just use a Blake’s Hitch. It works great!!!

I was hesitant about the rope belt until I got it. I love it. Its super secure, light weight, easy to adjust, doesn't loosen unless I adjust the hitch, and most times I don't even know it's there.

I also use the saddle suspenders from Jerry, because I don't like alot of weight on my hips due to lower back issues, I'd rather distribute the weight between my shoulders and hips.

BT

I ordered the saddle and I asked for both belts. I also asked for some loops at the top because I really like the OG Tethrd suspenders so they will work nicely with that. Can’t wait to get it I asked for some little customizations that I think are going to be perfect.

That said there will be a Cruzr XC size 2 up for grabs in 4-6 weeks.

My Orion has the buckle belt. It's too hard to adjust and keep tight. Is everyone buying the rope belt or making your own? Any vids of doing that?

Back