• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1 vs 2

Ctclimberguy42

I dont use a ropeman, I have a petzl mini-ascension ascender/pulley. It works but the button for releasing it is not user friendly. I've seen the ropeman, would you guys recommend the 1 or 2?

What rope are you using?

The short explanation: Ropeman 1 has large coarse teeth meant for thicker rope. Under a heavy fall, it doesn't slip. The teeth can start to damage the rope sheath at 4kn (which shouldn't happen in our uses).

The Ropeman 2 has much finer teeth. It fuzzed out my Yale Bandit and I returned it. Red says that on tougher rope like HTP, it isn't a problem.
Let me know if you want a Ropeman 1.
I have an extra and probably want to buy a Ropeman 2 for my SRT on 9mm rig.

Oh yeah...

The Ropeman release works better if you tie a little lanyard/fob to it.
Ropeman is MAGICAL on Lineman's belt. I can work with a well functioning prusik on a tether, but I HAVE to use the Ropeman on LB.

Thanks "Dude" . I like my ascension but it not Ideal for this (& kinda bulky) I already ordered a RM1 .

I have PMI ezbend 11mm as LB & Assault line 2, 3/8" (9.5mm) as tether. & Im a chicken too . . I use a short 2nd piece of dynamic RC rope as a backup tether. Call me a "-----" but ... I like redundancy . Its kept me alive on 700ft desert walls, so I'll keep it...

I have PMI ezbend 11mm as LB & Assault line 2, 3/8" (9.5mm) as tether. & Im a chicken too . . I use a short 2nd piece of dynamic RC rope as a backup tether. Call me a "-----" but ... I like redundancy . Its kept me alive on 700ft desert walls, so I'll keep it...

Assault line is tricky.
What's great about it is that it is tough rope and easy to move up and down the tree.
Whats BAD about it, is that it is tough rope and easy to move up and down the tree :)
I'm using it for a few pieces where I WANT it to move easily. I keep having to dress the knots.

Aborist ropes hold knots better than Assault and will tend to grip the bark. 11mm assault on some trees, will just open up and slide down when you unload it. You end up with your tether at your ankles!
Samson Predator is in between Sterling HTP and Yale Bandit. Bandit is soft and holds the tree.

Sterling HTP ties easier than Assault.

All of those ropes have worked fine for me on a Ropeman.

ALSO.....Round stock carabiners work better on Ropeman. The Flat ones can clamp the rope, but the carabiner gets jammed in position and it seems to crimp the rope more. The flat Petzl William worked fine for me but I only used it on 11mm

Assault line is tricky.
What's great about it is that it is tough rope and easy to move up and down the tree.
Whats BAD about it, is that it is tough rope and easy to move up and down the tree :)
I'm using it for a few pieces where I WANT it to move easily. I keep having to dress the knots.

Aborist ropes hold knots better than Assault and will tend to grip the bark. 11mm assault on some trees, will just open up and slide down when you unload it. You end up with your tether at your ankles!
Samson Predator is in between Sterling HTP and Yale Bandit. Bandit is soft and holds the tree.

Sterling HTP ties easier than Assault.

All of those ropes have worked fine for me on a Ropeman.

ALSO.....Round stock carabiners work better on Ropeman. The Flat ones can clamp the rope, but the carabiner gets jammed in position and it seems to crimp the rope more. The flat Petzl William worked fine for me but I only used it on 11mm
Thanks man!. I don't know much about arborist rope ...the pmi rope I have is very stiff & strong, but hard to knot.I got a small 17ft piece of the 3/8 assault just to try it. I may have to try some others.

Thanks man!. I don't know much about arborist rope ...the pmi rope I have is very stiff & strong, but hard to knot.I got a small 17ft piece of the 3/8 assault just to try it. I may have to try some others.
That pmi rope is absolutely terrible to tie knots in, HTP,KMIII or Workpro are a far better choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have The HSS Safety Rope but it's 5/8" (16mm). I see that the Ropeman 1 is designed for 10-13 mm rope and when I do a search for Arborist ropes, like the one's you folks are referencing here, all I find are long lengths, I only need 10' or so.
Any recommendations on where a guy could buy a 10' or so piece of high quality arborist rope 10-13mm?

Thanks,
T

I have The HSS Safety Rope but it's 5/8" (16mm). I see that the Ropeman 1 is designed for 10-13 mm rope and when I do a search for Arborist ropes, like the one's you folks are referencing here, all I find are long lengths, I only need 10' or so.
Any recommendations on where a guy could buy a 10' or so piece of high quality arborist rope 10-13mm?

Thanks,
T
Rwrope
Treestuff
Wesspur
Sherrilltree

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I ordered a Ropeman 1 from BackCountry. Love it. I tried to order another one today but they said they no longer carry them, that they have been replaced by the Ropeman 2. I see TreeStuff has a Wild Country Ropeman. It looks like a Ropeman 1 with the courser teeth, but it doesn't say Ropeman 1 on it. It just says Ropeman. (I don't want to buy a knock off) Says it good to 15 kN though. Maybe this is just how they are designating them now? Anybody know more than I do about these?

I notice this one pictured on Amazon also doesn't say Ropeman 1 on it. It says MMB. But it's advertised as a Ropeman 1. I don't know if there is any difference.

Back