• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman vs Prusik (is it necessary?)

ICU outdoors

Hi all! I am brand new to saddle hunting and can't wait for the opener here in Texas. I just found out about saddle hunting and have dove in head first. I'm starting my first season off with a modified sit drag and rock climbing harness. I've spent a chunk of money and time on getting ropes and accessories trying to keep weight and bulk as minimal as possible. I have yet to climb with a lineman rope (my rope should arrive sometime today). I've been watching YouTube and researching a lot. Everyone is swearing by the ropeman but before spending more money on another gadget when I already have rope I can make a prusik with, how much of a pain is it to climb with the prusik? Do you need to constantly be moving the prusik when you climb? Thinking of going this first season with the knot just because I haven't hunted from a saddle and don't want to go to crazy my first season. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance and happy hunting stay safe!

it's the best money you will spend on saddle setup. The prusik works - but it tightens down once under load and takes two hands to move it. You will adjust the length of your tether and linemans belt frequently and the ropeman gives you one handed functionality - try it with prusik first, then try the ropeman and you'll never go back

I was just going to suggest since you already spent a lot of money on ropes and what not, just to build your own prusik and run with it this year. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a ropeman but it can make it quicker/easier to adjust. I know when I climb with my lineman's(I have a prusik style; muddy lineman's rope) I usually set it to a comfortable position on the first step and I find myself not adjusting it the rest of the way up.

No. It's not necessary.

Last edited:
I was just going to suggest since you already spent a lot of money on ropes and what not, just to build your own prusik and run with it this year. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a ropeman but it can make it quicker/easier to adjust. I know when I climb with my lineman's(I have a prusik style; muddy lineman's rope) I usually set it to a comfortable position on the first step and I find myself not adjusting it the rest of the way up.
I know if I just went ahead and bought a ropeman I would never go back to the prusik like @kelly.jayp mentioned, but this being the first year I thought to just try the knot. The adjustments was a big concern. I was thinking like you said make an adjustment at ground level then not having to worry about till coming back down. If you need to adjust the length 5-10 times every time you climb then I will definitely buy the ropeman but if it's just one adjustment at the tree and climb I think that should be fine. All input is appreciated.

One thing you could consider is that the ropeman is not specific to saddle hunting. If you use it on your linemans belt then you can always use it no matter what. You're just getting yourself up the tree. So it's a convenience factor that you'll have whether you continue saddle hunting or not.

I know if I just went ahead and bought a ropeman I would never go back to the prusik like @kelly.jayp mentioned, but this being the first year I thought to just try the knot. The adjustments was a big concern. I was thinking like you said make an adjustment at ground level then not having to worry about till coming back down. If you need to adjust the length 5-10 times every time you climb then I will definitely buy the ropeman but if it's just one adjustment at the tree and climb I think that should be fine. All input is appreciated.

So things to think about - what's your climbing method? Are you using aiders, etc and needing to let out / take in slack on the LB? If so you may adjust it up to 2 times per Stepp / stick. When at hunting height some guys adjust from sitting to leaning - to do that you will have to adjust the tether. If you are on a short hunt won't be much - but I do move it a few times per hunt - esp if I'm leaning back a good bit and need to stand up more to shoot - in that case it may need to a quick move. Not trying to talk you into it, but just creating awareness. You can definitely do it with a prusik to defray costs over time - last year was my first year & I bought 2 ropeman before I even had the kestrel, and after testing with knots one day I put the ropeman on both the LB and tether and I could see instantly how it was a game changer in saddle hunting. It was just another $70 to spend LOL - now I have 4 :)

Well I just ordered the lineman 1 from Amazon for $45. Won't get here till the later part of the month so I'll be practicing with the prusik and make the change when the lineman arrives. Guess it's better to practice with prusik in case something happens. Thanks for all the input. If I need to make that many adjustments to the LB using the WE steps then I figured I'd better go ahead and make my first saddle hunting season easier on myself. Thanks again and if y'all have any other recommendations please send them my way!

Well I just ordered the lineman 1 from Amazon for $45. Won't get here till the later part of the month so I'll be practicing with the prusik and make the change when the lineman arrives. Guess it's better to practice with prusik in case something happens. Thanks for all the input. If I need to make that many adjustments to the LB using the WE steps then I figured I'd better go ahead and make my first saddle hunting season easier on myself. Thanks again and if y'all have any other recommendations please send them my way!

Good luck. It’s a must have on the LB. You will end up getting another for your tether

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put a tender behind my prusik on my LB. Works well and cost was 0 since I had it laying around. Probably not as slick as a ropeman 1. It lets me tighten 1 handed. But to let line out I need 2 hands. The prusik does need to be dressed once in a while something you don't need to do with a ropeman 1 obviously. Something to consider

I see myself picking up a couple over time but for now I'm good.

If you want the most awesome tending device it is hard to beat the ART Positioner 2 w/swivel. I took mine off my arborist saddle and am using it in conjunction with my Treesqueeze, swaider/aider/W.E. steps. Prussics and Ropemans are very usable but the Positioner is in another league.

I just put a tender behind my prusik on my LB. Works well and cost was 0 since I had it laying around. Probably not as slick as a ropeman 1. It lets me tighten 1 handed. But to let line out I need 2 hands. The prusik does need to be dressed once in a while something you don't need to do with a ropeman 1 obviously. Something to consider

I see myself picking up a couple over time but for now I'm good.
What causes the need for two hands to let out?

Here's a photo of my lineman's belt and a clip showing how it allows one-handed use.20180914_225200.jpg

Yep. Was thinking the same. Changed my cord its a bit bigger but still well with in the ratio. I think that will help a lot.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Back