• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rut Hunting

DwadeCham

Not sure what everyone on other places is seeing but last Friday I saw doe group after doe group which I assume means there isn't a lot of chasing going on yet. But I assume it is getting close because scrapes and rubs are getting worked up pretty well.

Weather is turning warm again after tomorrow for about a week but I am getting to the point where I think I should hunt as much as possible as long as it is smart.

Any thoughts? Deciding on whether going out tomorrow morning before work. Then possibly Friday as well. Modern gun season opens up for us next weekend and I think all hell may break loose after that.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Our weather.
087f42b83a8737da22b72d3b5c2382e7.jpg

I have seen some bucks pushing does around some. Was on the road this morning and saw a few bucks on there feet. Starting to see some signs of the coming rut here in VA .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You want to be in a tree whenever you can for the next month. It won't always be hot and heavy but you never know when all hell will break loose. I've taken weeks off where I'll see nothing, 1, 2 and then have a day where I see 15.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't want to burn up spots but I read an interesting article the other day that studied deer responses to pressure. Seems like deer can go back to normal behavior after 5 days. Maybe not if they were shot at or hit but just from pressure.

I would imagine I will get out there in the morning and see what happens.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't want to burn up spots but I read an interesting article the other day that studied deer responses to pressure. Seems like deer can go back to normal behavior after 5 days. Maybe not if they were shot at or hit but just from pressure.

I would imagine I will get out there in the morning and see what happens.

Bucks are on their feet moving all around over the next month. You can definitely still overhunt a spot, but there is always a chance a new buck will show up.

Now is the time to hunt your best spots.

We are heading back to Missouri early Thursday morning. Just hope those does will lead something big to one of us. Weather not going to be great but better than being at work.

It's been slow here. Definitely the calm before the storm. I hunted Monday in a spot that has been a top producer in the past. Very little sign and 0 deer seen. Didn't even hear anything stirring.

Rising moon as well. Late morning/mid day is probably going to be decent next week.

Back