• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle gear disposition while hanging

Spur

I would love to see pictures of how folks hang gear and backpacks and stuff on the tree. Above below tether? right in front of you or behind the tree from you, to the sides of the tree? What gear is easily available from tree or do you keep it in a pocket?

For example grunt I usually have on a lanyard around my neck, rangefinder in a pocket, beverage and bleat call hang from the rail (still using a treestand untill I get my saddle). I am going through whatever DIY I can before I hang so I can start getting comfortable with a system as soon as I get my saddle. Ideas on what folks do with pictures would be awesome for me to occupy myself with DIY while I wait :) Thanks!

I don't have any pics right now but use a tie down strap around the tree with S hooks, thinking about going out tonight if I do I will take some pics for you. I just put it around the tree put the S hooks where I want them and hang stuff from them, things I use more I hang on hooks with the gate removed, like my grunt.

Dont have pics, but my setup is easy to describe.

I have a gear hanger made of paracord, a nite-ize cambiner, and two wire hooks that I bent into shape myself. After attaching my tether, I attach the gear hanger immediately beneath it. One hook goes on my left hand side, and holds my weapon. The other goes 180* away from me and holds a small daypack.

I do not fiddle with a lot of gear in the tree. If I need something, I can swing around and grab it from the pack. I can keep a bottle of water and a few cheese sticks in my shirt pocket. That and my phone are about all I fool with in the tree

I have considered a screw-in drink holder for a hydroflask of coffee, but am reluctant to bring another piece of non-essential gear.

Hang it from my 2nd lineman's/tether carabiner. Pre-range some areas and put the RF away. Binos hanging from biner also. Grunt tube in an easily accessible pack pocket if I have one at all. Water in a hydration bladder in the pack. That's about all I need.

I have considered a screw-in drink holder for a hydroflask of coffee, but am reluctant to bring another piece of non-essential gear.

I run a screw in drink holder. I have my range finder, and grunt call from it and put my thermos cup or phone in it. It is light and keeps everything in reach.

Over the years I went to having everything on the tree - to just hanging my pack and bow on the tree. For me, I just prefer to have a clean saddle and a clean tree during the moment of truth. I hang my pack at head height off to the right and usually behind the tree. Bow at head height on the left. Everything I need for the hunt (binoculars, wind detector, range finer, pruner, grunt call, etc...) is in an easily accessible pocket. I usually wear my binocs over my right shoulder on a DIY string that allows me to get them in place and drop them at a moments notice without making contact with anything but my wool jack. I went back to hunting clean like this when over the years something I hung on the tree wound up getting in my way when trying to maneuver for an offhand shot. Now I only have to worry about my pack and it is fleece so noise is not a problem.

I did that after dropping my nite-ize gear hanger. It does keep it clean. If theres a spot I dont have a shooting lane in on the right side of the tree i may hang my pack there but only if it doesnt interfere. I have to test this s few times. I like keeping the tree clean.

@DaveT1963 what do you do if you need extra layers? I always have an extra layer in my pack, so I bring it up in the tree. also...my coffee addiction must be fed, I usually have a 16oz thermos in my pack at all times. lol

I use a DIY bow holder with a Stepp, and what I do with my pack is take a hook end of a ratchet strap with about 14inches of strap remaining and slip it under the Stepp rope before its cammed over. I put a stopper knot on it so it doesn't slip out, but once the step is cammed it isn't going anywhere. then just hook the handle of my pack on the hook.bow holder1.jpg

me.jpg

@DaveT1963 what do you do if you need extra layers? I always have an extra layer in my pack, so I bring it up in the tree. also...my coffee addiction must be fed, I usually have a 16oz thermos in my pack at all times. lol

I use a DIY bow holder with a Stepp, and what I do with my pack is take a hook end of a ratchet strap with about 14inches of strap remaining and slip it under the Stepp rope before its cammed over. I put a stopper knot on it so it doesn't slip out, but once the step is cammed it isn't going anywhere. then just hook the handle of my pack on the hook.View attachment 8379

View attachment 8380

I put extra layers in my fleece pack. But keep in mind I hunt OK & TX mainly so I don't need as much as you northern boys might. It is amazing how much a Kathy Kelly pack will carry. But I am also not carrying my camera gear in. The thing I hate most about all other packs is that they build up a human stink factor - not sure how guys wash theirs? I sweat a ton in our early season - thus with the KK pack, I have 4, I toss them in the washer after 1-3 days of hunting.

Not gonna lie, that WE bowholder DIY is slick :)

I like the variety of approaches listed, so many things to pick and choose to make my own setup fit me! For me I probably want rangefinder handy (I forget everything when I see that white tail). Beverage handy, probably in a bladder in the pack (I stopped bringing coffee because I have not seen much this year and wanted to minimize any scent that may deter deer, and not having my coffee sucks bad), calls handy. May need to consider a pack that works well as gear holder, maybe with molle or something so I just clip stuff onto it rather than a gear strap around the tree.

I run my setup like DaveT, I use one small diameter rope around tree with a nite ize figure 9 carabiner. I'm lefty so my pack is on left (more towards front of tree), bow on right.

Dont have pics, but my setup is easy to describe.

I have a gear hanger made of paracord, a nite-ize cambiner, and two wire hooks that I bent into shape myself. After attaching my tether, I attach the gear hanger immediately beneath it. One hook goes on my left hand side, and holds my weapon. The other goes 180* away from me and holds a small daypack.

I do not fiddle with a lot of gear in the tree. If I need something, I can swing around and grab it from the pack. I can keep a bottle of water and a few cheese sticks in my shirt pocket. That and my phone are about all I fool with in the tree

I would not consider a thermos of coffee non-essential gear.lol

Not gonna lie, that WE bowholder DIY is slick :)

I like the variety of approaches listed, so many things to pick and choose to make my own setup fit me! For me I probably want rangefinder handy (I forget everything when I see that white tail). Beverage handy, probably in a bladder in the pack (I stopped bringing coffee because I have not seen much this year and wanted to minimize any scent that may deter deer, and not having my coffee sucks bad), calls handy. May need to consider a pack that works well as gear holder, maybe with molle or something so I just clip stuff onto it rather than a gear strap around the tree.
We had a whole great discussion on here. Bring your coffee, enjoy your coffee. I'm thinkin that your coffee isn't the primary reason your not seeing deer this year. Sometimes we just have an off season. No reason to make your sits miserable. Drink your coffee.

I'm thinking I over pressured the area. I am limited to a treestand on a friends property. This frustration has led me to research methods to give myself mobility and versatility, then I found saddle hunting. Gonna be a fun offseason practicing in a saddle, scouting public land, and DIY'ing! Huge amount to learn, but that makes it even more fun! Still can't beat watching the sun rise or the sun set on a beautiful day in the woods. May not see many deer but the tranquility is priceless :)

Coffee is tough, I used a hydroflask but removing and closing the lid is awfully loud if you are not super careful. I used an oversized travel mug but climbing up while making sure it doesn't tip and spill (party foul) is tough. Maybe folks with ideas on how they manage coffee should be included here as well!

I'm thinking I over pressured the area. I am limited to a treestand on a friends property. This frustration has led me to research methods to give myself mobility and versatility, then I found saddle hunting. Gonna be a fun offseason practicing in a saddle, scouting public land, and DIY'ing! Huge amount to learn, but that makes it even more fun! Still can't beat watching the sun rise or the sun set on a beautiful day in the woods. May not see many deer but the tranquility is priceless :)

Coffee is tough, I used a hydroflask but removing and closing the lid is awfully loud if you are not super careful. I used an oversized travel mug but climbing up while making sure it doesn't tip and spill (party foul) is tough. Maybe folks with ideas on how they manage coffee should be included here as well!

Cheap plastic thermos covered in stealth strips

ROFLMAO!!! Of all the things I have thought of modding, I never thought of my thermos!!! Maybe even some teflon tape on the threads!! Thanks Dave!!!

They make a sippee-lid for the hydroflask. That and a roll of cheapo camo vet wrap from Tractor Supply made my flask the ultimate Tactical Coffe Containment and Delivery System

@Nutterbuster I find the sipee lid leaks for me, I have not found a sippee lid I like yet, but that would be awesome if I could. That squeal as you twist the non sippee lid on and off while in a tree makes me cringe like my wife was yelling at me or something.

@Nutterbuster I find the sipee lid leaks for me, I have not found a sippee lid I like yet, but that would be awesome if I could. That squeal as you twist the non sippee lid on and off while in a tree makes me cringe like my wife was yelling at me or something.
It does leak a little if you dont keep it upright. Mine always stays upright though. I know exactly what you're referring to with the squeal. It's like a mandrake violating a banshee.

Back