• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting and Clothing Layers

K.D.P

SH Member
For starters I live in south GA. The temps down here are normally pretty mild but they can drop low(right now it is 21 but was down to 15 earlier). However, I hunt mostly from a saddle and platform but plan to hunt from a lock on in the future while wearing my saddle. I do one stick so that will create a little sweat no matter the temps. I’m trying to decide on the best options for clothing. Should I get a base layer like the First Lite Furnace Zip off with pants over top? Or mid weight base layer with a few more layers? Or light weight base layer with 3 or more layers? I’m just trying to get some opinions.

Do a search post for layers, there’s been a few discussions about it and another fella from GA asked almost the exact same question:

Do a search post for layers, there’s been a few discussions about it and another fella from GA asked almost the exact same question:
Same fella from Ga from this post asked almost the exact same question last August '21 and he got 7 replies.....given the current weather I think it's a great time to re-ask the question for more responses.....lol!

KDP - I agree on the merino wool for sure. The lighter weights (~150) even makes great warm season light layers to keep you cool while you will want the heavier (250 - 400 weight) for colder weather. For the 1-2 really cold hunts, I'll just wear 2 layers of the 150 and do fine. What many don't realize is the cold in the deep south carries more humidity than "up north" and that can really cut through you. I always find what I am dressing for in 30 degree weather in the Fla panhandle would probably be fine in 10-15 degrees in Kansas or Iowa. I am still looking for a comfortable windproof lightweight pullover to help with the torso layering.

Same fella from Ga from this post asked almost the exact same question last August '21 and he got 7 replies.....given the current weather I think it's a great time to re-ask the question for more responses.....lol!

KDP - I agree on the merino wool for sure. The lighter weights (~150) even makes great warm season light layers to keep you cool while you will want the heavier (250 - 400 weight) for colder weather. For the 1-2 really cold hunts, I'll just wear 2 layers of the 150 and do fine. What many don't realize is the cold in the deep south carries more humidity than "up north" and that can really cut through you. I always find what I am dressing for in 30 degree weather in the Fla panhandle would probably be fine in 10-15 degrees in Kansas or Iowa. I am still looking for a comfortable windproof lightweight pullover to help with the torso layering.
Lol thought I recognized it! I had it bookmarked didn’t even think to check. Good info.

I go with a merino base layer or Scentlok tech line. Then I throw a heated vest on over that and maybe a fleece layer if cold. On top of that I ALWAYS have a wind blocking layer whether insulated or not doesn’t matter. If you can block the wind that’s half your battle. Unless it’s stupid hot then I don’t bother with wind blocking but anything under 60 it’s wind blocking for me.

What many don't realize is the cold in the deep south carries more humidity than "up north" and that can really cut through you. I always find what I am dressing for in 30 degree weather in the Fla panhandle would probably be fine in 10-15 degrees in Kansas or Iowa.

I'm not buying that ^^^. :fearscream:

E26EF406-C06A-449B-A379-3CFA58AECF5C.png

I go with a merino base layer or Scentlok tech line. Then I throw a heated vest on over that and maybe a fleece layer if cold. On top of that I ALWAYS have a wind blocking layer whether insulated or not doesn’t matter. If you can block the wind that’s half your battle. Unless it’s stupid hot then I don’t bother with wind blocking but anything under 60 it’s wind blocking for me.
How do you like the heated vest?

How do you like the heated vest?
Love it. I have the new Scentlok one. It also has primaloft insulation. I’ve worn it over my baselayer with just my bibs in 30 degree weather and was warm. On the highest setting you’ll sweat.

I have a 150 merino top and bottom and a 250 rated merino top and bottom. I also use fleece too and bottom with wind shear. That covers most situations. For really cold I have a heater body suit that covers the coldest of weather. I’m in south GA as well. Never had to use the HBS in Georgia.

Back