• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Base Layers

K.D.P

SH Member
I need some advice on cold or colder weather clothing. I live in Georgia so it doesn’t get to terrible cold but I plan to hunt in northern Missouri some. What are your recommendations on cold weather clothing? I already have some lighter weight Scent-Lok pants and jacket. I’ve thought about base layers and adding layers. What would y’all recommend?

Merino is a great option, I use under armour myself and it does really well for me. As stated in the previous post avoid cotton, not just in case layers but all layer IMO. Wool and synthetics are much better choices than cotton for any layer. I will add that a windproof layer makes you much warmer than thick layers of insulation in Missouri's late season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last year I bought Cresta 100% merino base layers from LL Bean. It looks like they changed them up a little bit, so I can't vouch for the new ones, but I got mine in talls and love them. Not many other places I looked had as many size or wool weight options.

I got some BlackOvis merino on camofire last year it’s been good so far. I’m gonna get beat to death by the cotton kills crew but I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between the merino and regular old fruit of the loom chicken skins from Walmart. I really don’t get cold in the woods and in south AR it doesn’t get that bad except a few days in the teens. So I may not be the best judge. Not sweating and a good wind breaking vest are the best things you can do to not get cold. Socks on the other hand are alpaca wool and I can definitely say they are worth it.

I’m in Missouri and it can definitely get cold (ish) but it can also be mild. I run very hot when moving so a good layering system and managing sweat is key to staying warm for me.

For base layers in the cold, I like a light wicking merino layer or a scent treated synthetic if it’s a long or tough walk in and I’ll be sweating. Then a thicker warmer merino or fleece layer. Walk in with just the light shirt and regular pants then get dressed at the tree once I cool down.

I use a mix and match of:

Light wicking 150 weight merino or synthetic shirt
Thin heated vest if it’s really cold
Thicker 350 merino top and zip off long johns (zip off are great for adding or taking off in the field without having to take off your pants and boots)
Puffy vest and pants for extra insulation
Wind blocking fleece hoody
Wind blocking shell/midweight insulated bibs and jacket

Same layering concept applies to my feet, which usually give in before my body. Preventing and managing sweat is again the key for me so I use uninsulated leather boots. I walk in with a thin wicking liner sock. If I sweat I’ll change them out at the tree then add a thicker merino sock. Loosen all the laces and slide on sized up arctic shield boot covers. If it’s really cold, I’ll toss in a hand warmer. After a lot of trial and error, that’s what’s worked best for me.

I've done alot of winter camping to include sub-zero temps and really have nothing to add to what has already been posted in terms of layers and materials. For me:
- Synthetic, wicking base layer, thickness dependent upon temps and activity
- (2) pair merino wool socks, hand warmers on top of foot between sock layers if standing around
- Winter weight USGI surplus wool pants and shirt
- Windbreaking outer shell jacket
- USGI wool glove liners. Bring multiple pair since if one pair gets wet, simply swap them out. If needed, hand warmers on top of hand (don't put them on the palm of your hand)
- Muff or chops depending on what I'm doing
- Balaclava mostly around my neck but can be pulled over my head if I get cold

If your hands/feet get cold, it's painfully miserable so I pay alot of attention to those. My core has several layers that can be opened, removed or added so I don't sweat and pay particular attention to your neck. By wearing some form of gaiter or balaclava around your neck, you'll preserve your core heat while allowing for less core layers which translates to less sweat.

I'll usually just wear a ballcap if moving since I let my head radiate excess heat when working. Once still for awhile, I'll put a beanie or balaclava over the hat.

Back