• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Platform Thermacell holder

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I discovered that I can take a loop of shock cord to hold my thermacell horizontal on the top of my platform. This way, I can set up the platform, pull the thermacell out and loop it in place. I'll probably stealth strip it.
15b4170fb962a835492ff6157818056c.jpg
226f10358b852a4c576ca5127b8e517a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Does yours work laying down like that? Mine sometimes throws fits and I have to put it upright and re-light it.

Does yours work laying down like that? Mine sometimes throws fits and I have to put it upright and re-light it.
Yea. The instructions say to lay it flat with the grill facing up so that's how I've always done it.

What about using some thin shock cord in the same manner?

I'm sorry I thought that you were useing paracord

I make a triangulated loop and it hangs from a hook on my saddle but I like yours better

I make a triangulated loop and it hangs from a hook on my saddle but I like yours better
It's pretty solid. I'll tie the center of the shock cord around the post so that it's always there and I can just snap in the thermacell without dropping the loop.

Which pads do you guys use in your thermacell? I always wonder about the odor. I have a hunt coming up that will probably require one due to how early in the season it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I found some recently that claim to be" fresh earth" scent. Haven't opened them yet so not sure. I also wonder about the scent issue.

I just use the regular ones that come with the refills. Never had a problem with them. Although I may buy the new model that they are advertising now, really neat!
Cool idea bowhunter15. You sure your last name isn't Edison?
I think iv'e seen every single component involved with treestand hunting or saddle hunting changed or upgraded by you over the last few years.
You rock man !!

Which pads do you guys use in your thermacell? I always wonder about the odor. I have a hunt coming up that will probably require one due to how early in the season it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't hunt with mine bugs are usually manageable here in Michigan unless we're are cooking into October. Even then getting up 20ft is usually enough to discourage them.

Anyway I use the regular ones. They have a slight bug spray kind of a smell to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had a problem with them affecting deer. It's a must have for me in NC all through September

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

We had a dry fall and wet winter last year. I had to use my thermacell New Years weekend. In south Ga they get thick. Never noticed a deer smelling it. I used repel 100 percent deet before they came out with the thermacell. People asked me if the deet smell scared the deer. My reply was always only the ones down wind. Without it they would see me from any direction trying to kill them before they sucked me dry. There is a guy in the county I live in that has been in the hospital for two weeks with West Nile virus. I'll just take a chance on spooking deer that are down wind.

I have one, but I hunt in swirly wind and it has a very limited field of effectiveness for the trouble of using it. I used to live where there were BAD mosquitoes. When I bought the Thermacell, I went out and sat with three people and put it in the middle. It did NOT work for all three of us.

I carry a tiny DEET spray early season. It's gnats and flies where I go.

Back