• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sand casting aluminum tree steps pt 2 (first melt)

dennism

Well it came down to doing some scouting or melting some metal, I chose the metal! :twisted: I have to say this part was a lot easier than I thought it was gong to be, and seeing that bright liquid silver pouring like water was awesome! I got some pictures.

This is what I used to feed air to the bottom of the caveman style rig. Just some 3/4" black pipe, some left over 3/4" pex (I used red for hot :lol: ) and a 3/4" pvc ball valve shut off to regulate the air flow.

Here's the hole I dug with the piece of black pipe sticking up. Next time I have got to dig a deeper hole. I also had some metal tape over the opening to block any dirt that might fall in.

At the other end I've got a pump for an air mattress.

Put 2 layers of charcoal down, next time It's going to be 3 or 4.

There's my crucible made out of an EMPTY propane tank. It's hot as heck in there! :D

I couldn't wait to pour as soon as I thought I had enough to get an ingot.

About 3 lb's of aluminum. I should be able to get 2 tree steps out of them to test out and make sure that the pattern I made is going to work. Now I just need to make the green sand. I have all the ingredients just gotta get the time. Going to my in-laws in Ohio tomorrow but I can't wait to keep moving forward!

Looks like fun. What were you melting down to make your ingots?

I was using an old aluminum ladder. I've read that useing extruded aluminum like the ladder, aluminum pipes and sheet aluminum has a tendency to shrink after it's in the mold and that using aluminum from motors or other stuff that has been cast is best due to shrinkage . But all I had was the broken ladder. Another thing I should mention is some stuff like car part sometimes have magnizum mixed with the aluminum. Magnizum melts at a lower temperature than aluminum but can catch fire and burn at like 5000 * f. Plus it is very hard to put out. It will steal oxogen out of water and just burn hotter.

Back