• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent drag

Dope on a Rope

SH Member
Who uses scent drags and what do you use? I’ve used Tink’s for years but skipped it this season because laziness and didn’t want tinkle hands. Got thinking today about making DIY biodegradable drags using jute rope or something that I can just toss where I want when I get to tree. Thinking elastic around boot with a clip. Anybody doing something cool?

Who uses scent drags and what do you use? I’ve used Tink’s for years but skipped it this season because laziness and didn’t want tinkle hands. Got thinking today about making DIY biodegradable drags using jute rope or something that I can just toss where I want when I get to tree. Thinking elastic around boot with a clip. Anybody doing something cool?
Felt and cotton are biodegradable and would make a nice pad tied at the end of your jute. I've tied key wicks to a piece of paracord and then tied that to the pull loop on the back of my boot before, it works okay but tends to slap the back of my boots and legs occasionally.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I'll put a quick spray of doe "p" on the sole of my boots once and awhile walking in. I had a small buck follow the trail in nose down and I'll get deer regularly crossing my trail without a care. All this is when I'm sitting on the ground, I wouldn't want to track it up all over everything. I'll usually only do it when I have to walk a trail the deer might be coming in on. Don't worry, the boots go in the bed of the pickup on the ride home and the Crocs go back on. :grinning:

I'll put a quick spray of doe "p" on the sole of my boots once and awhile walking in. I had a small buck follow the trail in nose down and I'll get deer regularly crossing my trail without a care. All this is when I'm sitting on the ground, I wouldn't want to track it up all over everything. I'll usually only do it when I have to walk a trail the deer might be coming in on. Don't worry, the boots go in the bed of the pickup on the ride home and the Crocs go back on. :grinning:
I’ve done that a couple times, and kept a tote for the boots. Still took a lot of ozoning and time to get the smell out of my car. I’ve got a few totes with gaskets, and have been thinking about doing this again.
I’ve also had good luck even just with a drag getting a follow… not close enough for a shot, but not bumping off the property either and that’s in dense hilly terrain where it’s tough to mask your scent. I’ve got 3 good bucks in a very difficult spot with no easy access, very likely to bump them going in so I need something to pull them back in the same day. Want to give the spot one more try this weekend.

A quick trip to the deer processor and a kind word (or a few dollars) will generally get you some. I like to get the ruttiest ones possible and freeze them.
We all do our own processing in my circle, so no relationship with any processors but I know of a couple. Maybe I’ll drop in this weekend on my way past

Back