• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent-Lok, or HECS or neither

pesqimon

Seems like plenty of folks here use Scent-Lok, but I am not (yet) the kind of guy that will be thorough with the scent control. So I haven’t really thought about investing in a suit.

John Dudley endorses HECSsuits, which is an interesting concept. I can believe that animals use EMF detection for an extra sense. Suit seems to cost about as much as a good base layer so I am thinking about trying it.

https://www.hecsllc.com/

Anyone have any thoughts on which suit to try? I like the idea of playing the wind versus perfect scent control, but if people swear by Scent-Lok I’ll have to consider it.

Thanks!

Seems like plenty of folks here use Scent-Lok, but I am not (yet) the kind of guy that will be thorough with the scent control. So I haven’t really thought about investing in a suit.

John Dudley endorses HECSsuits, which is an interesting concept. I can believe that animals use EMF detection for an extra sense. Suit seems to cost about as much as a good base layer so I am thinking about trying it.

https://www.hecsllc.com/

Anyone have any thoughts on which suit to try? I like the idea of playing the wind versus perfect scent control, but if people swear by Scent-Lok I’ll have to consider it.

Thanks!
I use scent Lok but I also pay attention to the wind I don't think one method is foolproof, I feel like every little bit helps. As far as the hec's suit I just can't buy into that for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HECS is complete voodoo. Sorry, but there isn't any science to back up a single claim they make.

You may not like how scent-lok is marketed, but activated carbon is a proven technology with credible science backing it. Whether or not it works for hunting is debatable, but you can't deny the science of activated carbon.

I use scentlok and I still try to play the wind. Even without the activated carbon scentlok garments are pretty nice with good features that hunters are looking for.

Neither for me....you'll definitely find people here that swear by activated carbon, but since you asked this has always been my take.

I think in absolutely perfect, almost hypothetical conditions, activated carbon has merit. However, I don't have the desire to keep everything all charged and treated and sterile. I just like to grab my stuff and go hunting, playing the scent game seems like too much hassle. Not to mention that I have hikes that are over a mile in with a couple thousand feet elevation change...good luck not sweating. Finally, if it theoretically did work, I've always believed it doesn't fit into my value system taking that advantage away from the game.

I had heard of HECS but never really knew what it was, so I had to look it up. Electromagnetic blocker? For serious? If game can sense our electromagnetic field, it would almost certainly only be from a very, very close distance. Like inches or feet, not yards. The very concept seems absurd, but what do I know?

I wear scent lok but also play the wind. I think the combination of both Eberhart and Infalt is the best option for me. HECs I have zero experience with. And as far as taking the word of anyone sponsored by these companies, I take that with a grain of salt for obvious reasons. Good idea to ask a place like this forum for unpaid point of view.

Early season(October) I just play the wind mostly but do wash my regular camo regularly and spray down with code blue scent killer after I have cooled down but I'm also not going to my core areas. I use scent lok end of October but pack it in, cool down and spray down like usual then put jacket on. Started using Carbon Synergy activated carbon(amazon) mixed with water to treat all of my equipment, clothing and the boots. Masking your breath i believe is the most important but the hardest to do. Wil Primos said he wants the deer to think your 200yds away when you're actually just 20yds.

Last edited:
I use neither. Since I started not taking scent control precautions my hunting has been way more fun and I have had much better success. I now pay way better attention to wind and thermals.

As for Hecs, I would never pay money for that or use it for free.

I use neither. Since I started not taking scent control precautions my hunting has been way more fun and I have had much better success. I now pay way better attention to wind and thermals.

My thought exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. I don’t think the concept behind HECS is so absurd but I don’t know that that suit can do what it claims. I’ll hold off for now.

Without a doubt the best answer today!!

I wash my clothes and take some scent control measures but I mostly hunt the wind. I do use an ozonics bc the wind can get squirrelly in S Georgia and it’s proven to me that it works.
It’s so hot and humid down here in early season until about mid November I sweat regardless. I’ll take lightweight clothing that wicks moisture and keeps me cool over activated carbon any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to wear something. I hunt the wind and reduce my scent by whatever means possible. Scent lok, ozone, baking soda and hunt down wind.
I guess I like Dan Infalt and John Eberhardt's opinions. Unfortunately this type of discussion can get out of control. Many have very strong views on the subject. I just figure all the little things add up and deer have an incredible nose. I am positive scent lok helps - only my opinion - I think it does.

Last edited:
If there was a magic suit that would make me invisible to deer, I would use it. If there was a magic app on my phone that would teleport me from home to my tree, I would use it. Unfortunately, neither exists.

Instead, I rely on woodsmanship and years of learning as much as I can about the animals I hunt through research and observation. In years past when boredom started setting in, I tried to become a "trophy hunter" and spent several years putting in work like John Eberhart but found that reduced my love of hunting to work. I was taking mature bucks up into the 140's. Fortunately for me I found traditional bow hunting which put the fun and challenge back into my hunting.

I read (or watch Youtube) about some of the scent control extremes that some guys go through thinking that it is necessary and just shake my head. They can't be having any fun imposing that type of regimen upon themselves in order to feel ready to head to the woods. To me, it would again reduce my hunting enjoyment to work. But maybe that's just me....

Forget the gimmicks and advertising slogans, pay attention to what you're doing, learn from your mistakes and have fun .

When I wash my clothes I throw in baking soda. Nothing else scent control besides that. Smoke is a bit interesting though...

Playing the wind is key. It is how man has been slaying deer since the beginning.

pay attention to what you're doing, learn from your mistakes and have fun .
I guess that is what I do I have fun. But I have to wear something. Ozone on my stuff after I wear it is not time consuming. I think of it as odor reduction. I am not meticulous enough to do what John Eberhardt does and I don't worry about it. I think some aboriginal tribes used ash an charcoal... carbon???

But the key is have fun. Totally agree. We are are individuals in this saddle stuff. I would love try hunting without a crossbow but a shoulder injured multiple times will not allow it. I have never killed a trophy buck but I would like one. I may never get it and that is okay.

Last edited:
I read (or watch Youtube) about some of the scent control extremes that some guys go through thinking that it is necessary and just shake my head. They can't be having any fun imposing that type of regimen upon themselves in order to feel ready to head to the woods. To me, it would again reduce my hunting enjoyment to work. But maybe that's just me....

I think for some of the extreme scent control guys their regiment is part of the fun, just like increasing the challenge by targeting only mature bucks, or shooting traditional. Figuring out how to fool a deer's nose can be part of the fun and challenge of of hunting.

Back