• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Screw in steps. Cranford on strap.

MilkWeed

I have tried a few different options for platforms last year with my Guidos web.
I couldn't bring myself to pay someone more for used ameristep plastic steps than they were new, so I ended up with some cranford folding steps on a custom strapworks strap that I used for a while. I also used Ameristep grizzly screw in steps that I ended up really liking. I made some homemade versions of climb paws that I didn't like, and a small platform as well.

I had my first four sits of the year this weekend. This spring I picked up a bunch of 20' ladder sticks off eBay for something like $22 shipped tyd. Pretty much the same as the ones I had from sportsmanship guide for $40 I think. I took 5 screw in steps when hunting one of these new sticks to screw in and leave as a platform. I usually space them out like the five points of a star.
For my last sit, I gave the folding steps and ratchet strap a try.

After using both again, it was easy to remember the pros/cons of both.
I have decided that if I am going to be using a ladder stick or already have a way to climb tree, I will place screw in steps and leave in tree for the year.
For trees that I will have to use my lone wolf sticks to climb, I think I will use my strap/folding steps.
I really don't think that the noise from ratchet was that loud. Maybe it is because I can't put in the screw in steps silently either!

It was great to be back in the woods!
It seems like most people here are using treesaddle or aerohunter. I haven't tried either, but I am trying to talk my buddy into getting one, and hopefully I can try it.
However, I really like my web. It is Super comfortable. I feel more comfortable in it than office chair. Love th sick support and tree fork.
I messes with a lot of different ways to pack head in and out and feel pretty good about my setup.

Thanks to everyone for sharing so much good info here. It is cool to see so many people who think outside the box (stand?).
I look forward to continuing to learn from you all.

Good luck this year.

Re: Screw in steps. Cranford on strap.

I am glad to have someone using a guido's web on here! I don't have any experience with one and not many people on here have one. Hopefully more will come!

I am set up similar to you, except most of my trees use screw in steps to get up the tree. I have a few trees where I can't use screw ins where I use climbing sticks.

For the ratchet strap, check out this thread: http://www.saddlehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40. A lot of us started using an overcenter buckle and it is working great. Skip to page 10 and there is a link to where the buckle is cheaper.

Back