• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sea to Summit Strap Flaw

Charliea

Dec 25, 2017
Washington
0165A288-85D1-45FF-A8E3-73AC35F75751.jpeg
I did the SeatoSummit lower strap mod on my climbing spikes. One of the buckles broke due to a thin spot in the stamped aluminum the first time I used the straps. REI exchanged the straps no problem, but I did find more buckles with the same thin spot on their display rack. Curious, I stopped by ****’s Sporting Goods and found several more of these straps with the same thin spot in the stamped aluminum buckle.
So, inspect your gear before you use it, every time you use it! (Don’t assume it’s good to go because it’s new, like I did!)

denots

Nov 7, 2017
Denham Springs, Louisiana
View attachment 5379
I did the SeatoSummit lower strap mod on my climbing spikes. One of the buckles broke due to a thin spot in the stamped aluminum the first time I used the straps. REI exchanged the straps no problem, but I did find more buckles with the same thin spot on their display rack. Curious, I stopped by ****’s Sporting Goods and found several more of these straps with the same thin spot in the stamped aluminum buckle.
So, inspect your gear before you use it, every time you use it! (Don’t assume it’s good to go because it’s new, like I did!)
Yeah no kidding that's a good observation and you went way out of your way to even check other merchandise people had on the shelves. I'm assuming you're going to notify the manufacturer as well. But I'm most amazing about is that you went into ****'s Sporting Goods to look. I don't think I'd walk in there just to take a dump in the middle of the floor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cajunshooter

Jul 25, 2017
View attachment 5379

That is a great public service announcement! Thanks! I’ll be checking mine this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cajunshooter

Jul 25, 2017
Yeah no kidding that's a good observation and you went way out of your way to even check other merchandise people had on the shelves. I'm assuming you're going to notify the manufacturer as well. But I'm most amazing about is that you went into ****'s Sporting Goods to look. I don't think I'd walk in there just to take a dump in the middle of the floor

Same here! That business doesn’t exist as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Oct 31, 2016
Bottom of the boot
6f81fb44567c611f29af052ef1bea3ca.jpg

I was just coming on here to post the same thing. I was practicing with the spikes this afternoon and broke a buckle

Charliea

Dec 25, 2017
Washington
Yeah, I did send an email to Sea to Summit.com. Website focus was on replacing the product, warranty etc. REI already took care of me, they’re great. I just didn’t want to see one of the guys get hurt, given the way we’re using the straps. They actually work pretty well for me.

ricky racer

Aug 8, 2016
Niles/Buchanan, MI
An open ended buckle like that was never intended to do more than synch gear to a backpack or similar duty. It was never intended to be used in any manner where it is supporting a person's weight or on any climbing device. The quest for the lightest possible gear, in my opinion is going to have some casualties and I hate to see anyone here get hurt trying to save an ounce or two. Thanks for posting .

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Sep 19, 2014
An open ended buckle like that was never intended to do more than synch gear to a backpack or similar duty. It was never intended to be used in any manner where it is supporting a person's weight or on any climbing device. The quest for the lightest possible gear, in my opinion is going to have some casualties and I hate to see anyone here get hurt trying to save an ounce or two. Thanks for posting .

I'm the one the first recommended these and I did that based on the weight rating of 275. That's more than enough for spur use but if they are breaking they obviously have a problem. Good catch OP i'm going to check mine!

denots

Nov 7, 2017
Denham Springs, Louisiana
I'm the one the first recommended these and I did that based on the weight rating of 275. That's more than enough for spur use but if they are breaking they obviously have a problem. Good catch OP i'm going to check mine!
Well I don't know for sure but I've seen @Swampfox in a picture on a climbing wall and in a video he did and he doesn't look anywhere near 275 to me.

Swampfox

Oct 31, 2016
Bottom of the boot
The buckle actually broke when I was on the ground tightening the strap. I still went up the tree with it after it broke. The part that holds the tension was still intact. The release tab is what broke.

I like the idea of this style buckle but I plan to find a different brand.

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Sep 19, 2014
Checked mine and they are uniform thickness. I’m gonna keep testing them and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk