• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing Awl Questions

ADKMtnTrapper

So i finally bought myself and sewing awl and i started off with making some customizations to my hunting pack. I finished up late last night so i didnt get a chance to take some picks but i am finding that the back side of my stitch isnt as tight as i expected. I am definiately pulling it tight and when i pull it out i seem to be pulling it tight(sometimes to tight and it pulled the back thread through to the front). So is this normal?

Also what kind of knot do you typically tie? My knot seems a little loose so i put a dab of super glue to secure it for extra security. I want to try a few more projects before i decide work on things for the saddle.

I haven't had any problems with not getting it tight. I make sure I give a good pull on both sides after each stitch. I haven't found a great way to tie the ends off either. I found one video that showed just tying a few square knots. I tied a few square knots and then super glue the knot and about an inch of the threads coming off, then after it dries cut somewhere in that hard glued end.

I added heavy duty strap loops to my Tree Saddle with the sewing awl. It worked fantastically well. I also tied square knots and followed the instructions from a YouTube video. My project has held firm for over a year. No complaints here.

I just finished sewing my platform strap. I've made a few shooting tabs as well for my trad bows. When you pull the ends tight don't worry about the knot you just pushed through. You are actually tightening the one before it and can place the knot anywhere, backside, front side, or between while pulling one tag end or the other. I too just finish with overhand knots and a dab of glue. You can leave you needle stuck up in the last hole, pull the thread out and cut to tie over hand knots, glue, then feed the tag ends back through the needle and pull the needle back out the hole pulling the tag ends on the back side. Pull the tag ends sucking the knot into the hole and trim flush and add a drop of glue for a cleaner finish.

If you wanted to be extra sure, do square knots on one side then use a regular sewing needle to pull both ends through to the other side. Then do square knots again

When I see with synthetic thread I end with a couple knots then melt the thread ends into a small ball with a candle or lighter.

Thanks for the input guys, i just needed a little assurance! Im going to start workin on a backstrap and then my tree strap. No time like the last few days before season!

ADKMtnTrapper said:
Thanks for the input guys, i just needed a little assurance! Im going to start workin on a backstrap and then my tree strap. No time like the last few days before season!

Just make sure that anything you are going to use for life safety at hunting height is fully tested on the ground first!

redsquirrel said:
ADKMtnTrapper said:

Just make sure that anything you are going to use for life safety at hunting height is fully tested on the ground first!

Yes! Dually noted, that is always a good point to reitterate.

Back