• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewn eye Prusik rope for Bridge???

Wall hanger

Can tell me why I couldn’t use a sewn eye Prusik rope for a bridge? I didn’t like how bulky the bridge from my kestrel is and was looking at the Prusik knot on my linesman and tree tether rope and it got me thinking why couldn’t I use that for a bridge.
I would think if a Prusik rope is safe on my tree tether why wouldn’t it be safe for a bridge.
The only thing that has me thinking otherwise is I see on the NewTribes webside under the description of there new Prusik it says “caution do not use as a bridge”.

Tubular webbing is rated for a bit over 4000 pounds. That’s as low as I would go. So that is probably 8mm or 9mm.

Whatever you get, check the rating, and make sure you are comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a thread floating around somewhere where I saw someone using a 30inch pre sewn prusik cord girth hitched on 1 side and attached with a caribiner on the other I'd imagine that would be o-k, just be sure to do your research on the ratings, not all prusik cords are created equally. I believe it is safe to hang from a prusik on a tether or lineman belt because of the way I the hitch distributes your weight throughout the entire line it essentially doubles the strength of the cord as opposed to being hooked from end to end.

If your main reason is to reduce bulk, why not splice an amsteel bridge?
It's super easy to do, it is lighter, more compact and a whole lot stronger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have very limited experience hanging from a prusik cord bridge. Maybe a total of 10 hours. But it seemed to be fine and I know others have done it. I used the Sterling flex 10mm prusik with Viking sewn eyes. It's rated at like 8,000 lbs if I remember right. It was pretty solid and I may go back to it eventually. But for now I am running two 23kn Sterling runners that are 24" long ran through 1 inch tubular webbing to keep them together and attached to my saddle with delta links. I really like it.

BF77ACA8-6EB9-4C5E-8A86-919E7E34A06E.jpegDo this with the Samson predator rope that you have and get rid of the double figure 8 knot. Put a Rooeman1 and a carabiner on the other side. Then you have an adjustable bridge. Also costs you nothing for a great set up. I actually put the eye on the rope around the saddle loop so you can not remove that side.

Last edited:
YOS (year of safety) ... be careful using hardware to attach your bridge. Make sure the hardware you use cannot be cross loaded. Tethrd just put out a video testing their Amsteel bridge, the carabiner was the weak link, and it was NOT cross loaded. Even at full strength, the carabiner failed before the bridge. Just something to keep in mind.

If you like delta links, shoot for the P11 8B or P11 8BN. I personally like the Petzl Ring Open, it's 70 g and 23 kn in all directions (which prevents cross loading).

Back