• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shikar or One Stick?

Tom Karrow

Running beast sticks and they have been great. Considering a lighter more packable option... any thoughts between a Shikar or a Tethrd One?
Thanks, Tom

My Shikar 14" sticks with a 7 foot Amsteal daisy weighs 1lb 9oz on my scale. Have not used them in the woods yet, next week is first hunt.
Chose them based on packability.

I too have Beast Sticks and did ton of research and settled on the Tethrd One Stick. The One Stick is considerably lighter and packs tighter. Also, I do not like moving parts on climbing sticks.

One sticks easy choice.

Shikars might have more toe room to tree. But the fiddle factor absolutely sucks. The FXDs are decent but I wouldn’t go longer than 17”. The longer ones flex a bit.

The one sticks are just loaded with more features. The glow tabs are great, dynalock tab is the best attachment system in the industry, the stacking pins are sweet no extra crap to hold the sticks together, oh and they are only 1lb a piece…

Last edited:
I have not tried the one sticks but I’m sure they’re great. That being said, I really like my 4 17” Shikar sticks with wire aiders. With a little practice the fiddle factor with 4 Shikar can be less than 2 minutes total. For me the packability and compactness of the Shikar sticks is where they shine. They also bite the tree exceptionally well.

I just don't trust one pin holding the steps! I like having 2 bolts holding my steps on. Beast sticks may be 2lbs and tested for a long time and now TMA certified!! Not field testing by purchasing and if they fail send back.

I can not comment on tethrd sticks but I do own a fixed mini shikar i use for one sticking with a 3 step aider and a cam cleat. Absolutely love it

I can not comment on tethrd sticks but I do own a fixed mini shikar i use for one sticking with a 3 step aider and a cam cleat. Absolutely love it
Yup, I’ve never owned any stick sets but have no complaints on my Sh1kar

One sticks easy choice.

Shikars might have more toe room to tree. But the fiddle factor absolutely sucks. The FXDs are decent but I wouldn’t go longer than 17”. The longer ones flex a bit.

The one sticks are just loaded with more features. The glow tabs are great, dynalock tab is the best attachment system in the industry, the stacking pins are sweet no extra crap to hold the sticks together, oh and they are only 1lb a piece…

Do you one stick climb with the dynaloc tab? I’m curious how that performs compared to a cam cleat. I’m currently just using a versa link on my beast stick versa button to see if I like one sticking (I do) and I’m trying to consider whether to add a cam cleat on my beast stick or get a tethered one stick and use the dynaloc tab.

Do you one stick climb with the dynaloc tab? I’m curious how that performs compared to a cam cleat. I’m currently just using a versa link on my beast stick versa button to see if I like one sticking (I do) and I’m trying to consider whether to add a cam cleat on my beast stick or get a tethered one stick and use the dynaloc tab.

I’ve been one sticking with a Sh1kar and cam cleat. My Tethrd One Sticks just arrived today, and I love them. But I would not consider one sticking with the dynaloc tab. I think I saw someone making a cam cleat mount to fit them though….may have been Out on a Limb

With some slight modifications, I have grown to really like my shikar sticks. Three sticks is still narrow enough I can wrap a hand around them, but (now) lock solid to the tree

I switch to a cam buckle when climbing with the Tethrd One.

Back