• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

shooting from Sit/Drag

Waymore

Been practicing from ground level and I noticed I shoot better with SD a little higher up than I usually position it when resting. I thinks it gives me a little more stability in my torso. People look at me funny when I say I keep my treestand in my bow case :)

Attachments

• sit drag bow case.jpg
    sit drag bow case.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 73
If you do the short bridge with tether at chin height it stays out of your way nicely and gives you support to lean back into.

If you do the short bridge with tether at chin height it stays out of your way nicely and gives you support to lean back into.

Yes that how I am doing it. It is the most comfortable for me that way. I haven't settled on length of bridge yet but I am think around 18-22"

Yes that how I am doing it. It is the most comfortable for me that way. I haven't settled on length of bridge yet but I am think around 18-22"

Last time I was playing around with set ups, I had a bridge in the 12-15" range and I was liking it. I'm going to order some Amsteel and Fid. See if I can't shave a few ounces. Plus with a small fixed bridge like that I can wear it up the tree (just tuck it into itself). Then I can put my tether on my bridge before removing my Lineman's rope and without needing to carry a third rope/Ropeman combo.

I used the very short Trophyline bridge for about 6 years. With the SitDrag I went with a 28"ish bridge. I really like the medium length setup. It allows for a lot of mobility and comfort.

My bridge is tied directly on and is 25" if you measure from the outside of the loops. More like 24" between the loops. My tether is almost all the way up...I could go shorter. But I have a long Prusik on that tether that adds length compared to a ropeman

I bet bridge length is hip width dependent. It would be interesting to compare bridge angles.

I bet bridge length is hip width dependent. It would be interesting to compare bridge angles.

Agreed. I also think that the distance from your butt to your feet matter. Leaning vs. sitting would mean a different angle for head high and 24"...

Last edited:
Yep when its dark and I go into "sitting" mode, I open the bridge as long as it will go. A short bridge while sitting in the saddle will induce pinch. When Im in serious mode, I shorten the bridge. My old fixed bridge was a compromise at 36". Another thing I like about a longer bridge is when I rotate 180deg away from the tree, the longer bridge separates more and I get a wider area of contact on my side to lean into. Hard to explain it, once you turn and lean into your bridge for support you will see what I mean. Its the difference of having the 2 bridge ropes/straps being on top of each other along your ribs or several inches apart. Everybody on here has something different in their setup. That's what makes the saddle so versatile, its ability to change it to fit your personal needs.

ln
My bridge is tied directly on and is 25" if you measure from the outside of the loops. More like 24" between the loops. My tether is almost all the way up...I could go shorter. But I have a long Prusik on that tether that adds length compared to a ropeman

X2 I know this, using a short bridge and tether with a short hook up height makes it far easier to make adjustments and move around the tree. I giggle now at how I use to have to stagger steps around a tree going up in height so I could walk my strap around the tree to get a shot. And then the strap was always pulling me in a weird direction. Now I simply stand up, rotate my strap In the direction I want to move it (I do this easily and behind the tree so there is very little movement) - then I step to next step. Doing this I am ALWAYS shooting from the same set up (strap right in front of me, same drape to tether/saddle, etc....) I don't have to cross my feet over each other, take a back step, twist on a step, etc.....

Of course now I usually hunt form a 6-10 inch tree and a platform and I don't have to move around the tree at all.... and on a larger tree I just throw a jim stepp to my left and then only have to make one step for an in front of tree shot.

We have come a long way in saddles, gear and set ups. The days of a ring of steps and long tethers to walk around a tree are thankfully a thing of the past for me - and I am seldom getting picked off anymore positioning for a shot.

I agree Dave, we have definitely come a LONG way. When I first started Saddle hunting 6 or 7 years ago, there was ZERO information available. Then Boswell made some videos that every saddle hunter in America watched. That was it - there was no real innovation happening in the community as a whole. There were guys here and there that were doing some creative things, but nothing like we have seen with SaddleHunter.com

Love this site!

I take that back about there being ZERO information. John E was putting out some information and best practices, but it was minimal compared to what we have now.

There was early information on saddles - but then when Greens, Andersons And final Trophy Line couldn't sell enough and started to falter the info dried up. There used to be some good videos that was shared on Archery Talk about gear and setting up. I think Boswell was one of the early folks to start promoting them on YouTube - but there were older videos out there they just were not very in depth. Most of the advancements have actually come from common folks using them. I remember when Solar Neptune put out the first no stick video, then there was Blackout dude, MTS, etc., and things just kept rolling from there.

But there is no doubt that John E was the man that popularized them and came up with the best way to use them. He was the one that started promoting the short tether. If I still had to use the long tether like most were using 5 years ago (and most videos showed) I would NOT be using a saddle today. I actually reached out to a couple of well know saddle hunters a few years back when I was trying them again - they gave the same old advise. When I picked up the phone and called John E and he spent over 2 hours with me going over how he uses them - I have not looked back since.

I think by nature most of the guys that stick with saddles are a bit of equipment freaks and like to experiment. Its almost like an addiction to get it one ounce lighter, one level more comfortable, etc..... it makes it fun to see what folks come up with.

When I picked up the phone and called John E and he spent over 2 hours with me going over how he uses them -

He should have been a teacher, eh? He loves to share. We need to get some Scent Lok controversies started over here so we can hear more from him.

Anyone that can consistently kill nice bucks in MI has my respect. John is a very down to earth guy and really helped me out. He also helped me get a scent lock Kathy Kelly daypack - I wish there was more videos coming from him and his boys - I just like watching him as his approach is one that works well for me. But I still am not going to hanging off screws - YIKES!

John E is the real deal. I wonder how many of us he has personally taken the time to help? We've talked a couple different times and it's been very helpful. I'm an eberhart fan!

There was early information on saddles - but then when Greens, Andersons And final Trophy Line couldn't sell enough and started to falter the info dried up. There used to be some good videos that was shared on Archery Talk about gear and setting up. I think Boswell was one of the early folks to start promoting them on YouTube - but there were older videos out there they just were not very in depth. Most of the advancements have actually come from common folks using them. I remember when Solar Neptune put out the first no stick video, then there was Blackout dude, MTS, etc., and things just kept rolling from there.

But there is no doubt that John E was the man that popularized them and came up with the best way to use them. He was the one that started promoting the short tether. If I still had to use the long tether like most were using 5 years ago (and most videos showed) I would NOT be using a saddle today. I actually reached out to a couple of well know saddle hunters a few years back when I was trying them again - they gave the same old advise. When I picked up the phone and called John E and he spent over 2 hours with me going over how he uses them - I have not looked back since.

I think by nature most of the guys that stick with saddles are a bit of equipment freaks and like to experiment. Its almost like an addiction to get it one ounce lighter, one level more comfortable, etc..... it makes it fun to see what folks come up with.

I wish I could find that Solar Neptune video. I can't find it on you tube!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back