• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shooting to your offside hip with platform....

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
Hey guys -

Long time no see - what's up!

I have a random question for you guys and I know that you'll be able to shed some light on it..... I was reading a post where someone said that on their platform, if they need to make a shot towards their offside hip, they just stand up and turn on the platform. Is that how you guys are shooting to the offside hip (4:00/5:00 for a righty)?

I'm curious what you guys have found to be best - thanks!

That is what I do, but I use (2x) Stepps for my platform instead of a single platform.
Time permitting, I swap feet on my Stepps and spin in my saddle; e.g., right foot on left Stepp.
I hunt from a homemade Kesterl-type saddle without leg loops so I can spin in it so my belly is facing outboard instead of my lower back.

I have never fallen out of a tree hunting or practicing this way, but you might! If you lawn dart the first time you try this you are on your own!
For what it is worth I now own a rock climbing harness and plan to use it in the future.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

. I was reading a post where someone said that on their platform, if they need to make a shot towards their offside hip, they just stand up and turn on the platform. Is that how you guys are shooting to the offside hip (4:00/5:00 for a righty)?
To shoot to my off side (12 to 5 o'clock) I do the following. Holding my bow in my left hand, I grab my tether with my right and pull myself up. I tuck my right shoulder under the tether and pass my arm thru while turning/swapping my feet position on the platform. Now I'm leaning outward from the tree laying against the tether which is holding me in as it passes up across my chest and by the right side of my neck. My right arm is now free to draw and I can shoot to the offhand side. Downside, it requires a bit of movement to spin on the platform. Upside, for me anyway, it gives me a stable stance to shoot from.

I just roll myself up in my bridge and tether and stand with my back against the tree. I have hunted that way for several hours.

Yes it can be done relatively easily with a XOP-style platform setup, though still requires a fair amount of movement. I was presented with an opportunity at a mature doe in the fall that would have been to my 2 o'clock but felt that the amount of movement needed to make the shot would have busted me.

Yes it can be done relatively easily with a XOP-style platform setup, though still requires a fair amount of movement. I was presented with an opportunity at a mature doe in the fall that would have been to my 2 o'clock but felt that the amount of movement needed to make the shot would have busted me.

The video I posted I made no attempt to minimize movement. I can and have moved 180 degree on my platform with deer all around me. That is the #1 reason I went to a platform. Comfort was second.... but I can force myself through comfort issues.

The video I posted I made no attempt to minimize movement. I can and have moved 180 degree on my platform with deer all around me. That is the #1 reason I went to a platform. Comfort was second.... but I can force myself through comfort issues.

I should have mentioned that shot was presented while standing on a tree step platform. I think that makes that shot a little more difficult because of having to shuffle your feet for positioning first versus the seat casting platform.

Played around with my platform and saddle in my back yard today. Definitely much easier to shoot 360* with the platform. I didn’t feel the need to stand and shoot, but you definitely can if you need to. Overall, I think I’ll put my steps up and mess with the platform for a bit. Steps have had a pretty good 8 year run, so we’ll see how long I can stay away from them!

Back