• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shot in the Dark!?!

woodsdog2

SH Member
Was just sitting here on SH.com and heard a shot in the dark way off. My thought around this time is always…… what buck just got poached!!:fearscream::weary:

Hopefully it's nothing worse than that
Yep. Odd timing but just got word a couple hours ago cops went to serve a warrant in my old stomping grounds. Dude decided he wasn’t going, shot and killed a cop, on the run now. Rare for small towns but when it happens you always know a friend of a friend if not the person.

Yep. Odd timing but just got word a couple hours ago cops went to serve a warrant in my old stomping grounds. Dude decided he wasn’t going, shot and killed a cop, on the run now. Rare for small towns but when it happens you always know a friend of a friend if not the person.

Man, I'm sad to hear that.

Well damn, I hear a shot in the dark in my small town and I think “RIP Wile E. Coyote” or “hope they didn’t slot that nice 10pt”, not cop killing. Sad to read about this. Hope you and yours aren’t too terribly affected, though I know it won’t be good either way.

Are they easier to shoot in the dark than a vertical bow? asking for a friend that couldn't even see the peep or the sight...
they are with thermals on top!

I wonder how much of it (poaching) really goes on?
If people follow the 3 S's correctly we'd never know... around me I assume it coyotes, raccoons, possums and armadillos providing target practice

When I'm hunting remote and camping I often hear single gunshots at night. I always assumed that it was poaching (which I'm sure there's quite a bit of going on) and I mentioned it to the CO one day when he stopped by camp. He informed that as part of the consent agreement treaty with the native Americans they are allowed to shoot deer at night (at least locally here) so that may explain some if it.

I must admit though I myself have fired many single shots with the pistol in the dead of the night over the years . . . eradicating porcupines that awoke me while they were chewing on my truck or camper. I actually shot so many last year I lost count.

In one very rural area where I hunt, every dusk you'll hear single rifle cracks from various directions

When I'm hunting remote and camping I often hear single gunshots at night. I always assumed that it was poaching (which I'm sure there's quite a bit of going on) and I mentioned it to the CO one day when he stopped by camp. He informed that as part of the consent agreement treaty with the native Americans they are allowed to shoot deer at night (at least locally here) so that may explain some if it.

I must admit though I myself have fired many single shots with the pistol in the dead of the night over the years . . . eradicating porcupines that awoke me while they were chewing on my truck or camper. I actually shot so many last year I lost count.
We dont have porkypines but we shoot a fair number of coons, possums and armydrillers after dark around camp.

My state nuisance permits state that they can be used up until midnight [ a government genius had to dream that up]. I think its a dumb idea and don't shoot after dark but just saying.

My state nuisance permits state that they can be used up until midnight [ a government genius had to dream that up]. I think its a dumb idea and don't shoot after dark but just saying.
If safe shooting in the dark is your concern, I'm not worried about hitting anything I'm not supposed to while shooting a porky on the ground at the range of 5 to 6 feet in the light of my headlamp. :tearsofjoy:

I agree with you. I'm using a .270 on flat farm ground in a rural area shooting on the ground.

In MN you can shoot coyotes and raccoons at night. I think you have to use a .22 or shotgun though, no centerfire rifles. Or a bow. On Tribal lands, the tribe may permit enrolled members to night hunt or road hunt; off the reservation enrolled members generally have to abide by state requirements regarding hunting hours and methods of take, but may have extended seasons. I'm pretty sure most of the dusk gunfire I hear is at coyotes, we've got a lot of them around.

Back