• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Showing off my machined platform

Huntingbob

Ive been following this forum for some time and am going to start saddle hunting this year. I decided to go all out and machine a post and claws at work from solid aluminium. Thought you guys might like it. I'm a precision machinist by trade and have access to some high end machines. I wire EDM'd the claws out of a pc of scrap aluminum. Then I designed a post that thought looked cool and milled it out of 1.25 square stock. I know its overkill but im pretty happy with how it turned out.
b4e6dadb7387020ec62912618de6f1e1.jpg
7688b9f583b75afbb6de7c6f4572c6f4.jpg
6a1a169bf3c929810064a8ffd3ed9ca6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Very nice work. Do you intend to add a striker plate for your seat adjustment bolt? It's going to eat up your post pretty bad when you load it a handful of times and move the load around on the platform.

Also, are you interested in making some things like this for others?

Very nice work. Do you intend to add a striker plate for your seat adjustment bolt? It's going to eat up your post pretty bad when you load it a handful of times and move the load around on the platform.

Also, are you interested in making some things like this for others?
I could add one later. I will see how it holds up the way it is. The xop replacement seat came with a plastic cap on the adjustment screw and if it stays on I think it will be ok. But I've never tried it so I'll probably change things as I go.

As far as making them, there would have to be a lot of interest in them to offset making larger quantitys. That first one probably cost my work a couple hundred. Lol. It's defiantly better to just buy the XOP 6 point bracket. But the post wouldn't be bad to make a batch.

As far as making them, there would have to be a lot of interest in them to offset making larger quantitys. That first one probably cost my work a couple hundred. Lol. It's defiantly better to just buy the XOP 6 point bracket. But the post wouldn't be bad to make a batch.

I would think you could sell 20 of the posts right off the bat here. Another market would be dual steps for sticks people are making. check out the diy forum.

This wouldn't get you rich, but you'd make a lot of friends here!

I would think you could sell 20 of the posts right off the bat here. Another market would be dual steps for sticks people are making. check out the diy forum.

This wouldn't get you rich, but you'd make a lot of friends here!
I will have to get some time on it to see what I need to modify. I'm concerned about the cutout behind the adjustment bolt making it weak now that I see it. I Did make the pivot hole offset so the platform will lay perfectly flat when folded.
199d34938f966bceb8487ef6359ac1d9.jpg
a1896c14cc1f03b2b226050f5f2603be.jpg

Very nice, Huntingbob! With your skills and machine access, you're going to make a lot of folks around here envious....including me!

Love it man, looks great! One thing that stands out to me is you might need to cut out a 1 1/4 recess on the back of 6 point bracket. Were it attaches to the post, to keep them from spinning on the bolt under pressure. Other then that might be a problem there Awesome looking, I love fresh milled aluminum.

Love it man, looks great! One thing that stands out to me is you might need to cut out a 1 1/4 recess on the back of 6 point bracket. Were it attaches to the post, to keep them from spinning on the bolt under pressure. Other then that might be a problem there Awesome looking, I love fresh milled aluminum.
My original design had the recess, but then I started thinking about how the lone wolf stick brackets rotate to help it grab a crooked tree squarely. I can always add it later if its a problem though.

I'd be willing to do some trading with someone if they wanted a machined post. I would trade a post for a ropeman a carabiner and enough quality rope for a tether. Had a chance to try mine out and it's very solid. I am going to add some something were the platform adjustment hits the post though.

How much does the post itself weigh in at....??
According to my bathroom scale the whole thing with a xop seat and my brackets is 4 pounds. With no rope attatched. I will have to take it apart to weigh the post alone.

can these machines cut the actual platform/seats?

not necessarily the xop seats, but this

98762d4e121b94dca23c7a97a876d13a.jpg

Last edited:
can these machines cut the actual platform/seats?
Yes, you could mill one out of solid aluminum plate, but the raw material would probably cost more then the $29 you can buy one for from xop. There's is cast from molten aluminum so there is no wasted material. Then you have to factor in machine time. If you had some crazy design and didn't mind paying for it it's possible.

Yes, you could mill one out of solid aluminum plate, but the raw material would probably cost more then the $29 you can buy one for from xop. There's is cast from molten aluminum so there is no wasted material. Then you have to factor in machine time. If you had some crazy design and didn't mind paying for it it's possible.

What kind of cost do you imagine it would be....and strength/weight is same as casting?

What kind of cost do you imagine it would be....and strength/weight is same as casting?
If your talking about the platform itself. I'm not an engineer, but sometimes cast is actually stonger than billet because the grain structure in cast material flows with the contours of the shape. As for cost if we were to quote something like that at work it would probably be a couple hundred dollars for 1 pc. I'm just guessing, but the raw material is probably around $50.00

Back