• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silencing Wild Edge Steps

MoDog

Not sure if this was already addressed or not. If it was please link me to that thread.

If not, has anyone attempted to silence these steps? Anyone use stealth strips or some kind of coating? These steps have been a great addition to my mobile setup but they are loud when you inadvertently knock them around. If anyone has done something successful, please share.

Not sure if this was already addressed or not. If it was please link me to that thread.

If not, has anyone attempted to silence these steps? Anyone use stealth strips or some kind of coating? These steps have been a great addition to my mobile setup but they are loud when you inadvertently knock them around. If anyone has done something successful, please share.
stealth strips work

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you use stealth strips you have to make sure the seem/edge of the strip is underneath where your foot doesn't contact or it will peel from your foot rubbing on it. I did two that way with leftover stealth strips. I was piecing together scrap pieces so it started to peel a bit.
I put hockey stick tape over top and that worked well. I have more steps that are going to be showing up today and have some camo hockey tape I'm going to try by itself. I'll give them a good test run this weekend.

79217cfa9621363c05199e500319c9fd.jpg

Just did this last week when I was home sick.

Well that looks easy. Looks like everything still stacks together well too. Thank you!
Yea it worked. I think it will work even better as the stickyness of the wrap wears down.

Are there any pics out there of steps with Stealth strips on them? If you've wrapped them, how well did it work?

I have that vet tape/sports tape stuff on mine and it has held up to almost seven months of climbing, being stuffed into a pack, pulled out, thrown on the ground and stepped on. Works great. No worse for wear, and I have pummeled those things. Pete

One thing I will tell you on the self adhesive tape - I left some of some gear for a couple of years, exposed to some high heat in the attic/garage/hot car. It tends to start breaking down and getting sticky.

The stuff is cheap enough to pull off after a season or two and reapply. Worth the effort.

I've got it on my sticks and it made a big difference in noise. Sewing fleece over the bag was a huge help too.

I have that vet tape/sports tape stuff on mine and it has held up to almost seven months of climbing, being stuffed into a pack, pulled out, thrown on the ground and stepped on. Works great. No worse for wear, and I have pummeled those things. Pete
Good to hear because I just stopped by Tractor Supply and bought 4 more rolls...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I bought the knock off wild edge steps and they sound like a wind chime when you knock em against stuff. I filled the cavity in the step with expanding foam you would use for your home. It adds a few ounces but it really helps if you accidentally ping them off each other or your gear/tree. And totally do the felt tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pointers! I got some of that camo tape last year and it worked great for the price. Looks like a couple more things to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did anyones tape interfere with tying them and getting the knot undone?

Back