• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitters

Birddog

I’ve been leaning exclusively for a couple of years, but I’ve been having knee trouble and it would help to be able to sit more. From a standpoint of tree selection, equipment, and setup, how are you sitters doing it? Knee pads? Straddling the tree? Picking a tree with more lean to it? Hope my question makes sense.

I bought an XOP seat pad. I take a large bungie loop it through the eyelets of the pad the around the tree then make it tight to itself at knee height. it works perfect doesn't make any noise and its easy to pack in and out each sit.

I second the XOP seat pad it works great and you can straddle the tree also with it. I just strap it to my pack and place on the tree once I pull my pack up works perfectly. I do think it makes a little noise depending on the pants you are wearing but not enough to hear at ground level.

I wear knee pads every single time I hunt. I mostly sit with my knees leaning into the tree. I will shift from more weight on the left to both to the right, to leaning on the sides of them up against the tree. This just keeps the pressure off any one spot for a long time. During the rut when I'm hunting multiple all day sits in a row, my knees do start to get a little sore. But for the rest of the time I don't have any problems.

I too started to sit more this year, I found it helped me from moving and turning more than when I was leaning.
My assassin platform and knee pads allowed me to have 2 days of over 10 hour sits watching a funnel last weekend. Toughest part was staying awake after a very busy week at work.

just a little lean into my bridge in The Pulpit stand and all my back trouble says bye bye birdie! I will try and make a video and send it to you.

I’ve found myself sitting as much or more that leaning. Just started with knee pads about a month ago. Like the knee pads a lot.

What is the pulpit stand?
It is a much smaller version of the preacher stand- bosun chair. check out the thread I posted and you can see the size differences that I have been playing around with.

I use knee pads all the time. I found a nice gel pair at Home Depot a few years ago and they have been great.

Ever since getting a XOP platform set up from Erniepower, I have been more of a leaner. The platform is more to carry to the woods, but really is a very comfortable option for longer sits. I used to use the Ameristep steps and they worked but I could not get anywhere near as comfortable as the platform.

I have become principally a sitter; I used to be a leaner but my latest saddle is comfortable when I sit.. For me it is frankly a much more comfortable way to hunt and sitting also provides me a longer tether hook up which affords more shot opportunities without having to adjust your tether to do so - you simply stand up to a 'leaning' position and pivot to shoot. This is a big advantage when a deer sneaks up on you...

I don't wear knee pads, I have a old treestand seat pad that I bought somewhere for less than $10 and it is cut down to approximately 6" wide. I strap it to the tree and lean my knees against when I am setting up. It takes up less space in my pack than knee pads do and is really quiet.

Just another option to consider.

Here is my tree pad.
Ugly, just like me.
2b6365524a6c6d1f20d431254e8f0a08.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

It is a much smaller version of the preacher stand- bosun chair. check out the thread I posted and you can see the size differences that I have been playing around with.
Your first gen preacher was a little on the large side. The mid size you have with a narrower whale tail would be similar to mine.

Your first gen preacher was a little on the large side. The mid size you have with a narrower whale tail would be similar to mine.
Yeah way too much wood. The smaller one fits my style better.

Back