• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smallest size platform you would consider using?

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what would be the smallest size platform you would consider using with the saddle? I'm talking with a treestand maker about converting a seat into a platform but was wondering what would be the most effective size without going too small? I have only used steps so far but was wondering what the guys with more experience would consider the line between workable and not worth it and just stick with the tree step platform.

Roger

Considering I'll be hanging mostly, something a pair of large pack boots can comfortably fit on. It must strap on to the tree and accept ameristep strap on steps or such so we can step around the tree as needed. If the wand to build some steps for the strap even better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stykbow1 said:
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what would be the smallest size platform you would consider using with the saddle? I'm talking with a treestand maker about converting a seat into a platform but was wondering what would be the most effective size without going too small? I have only used steps so far but was wondering what the guys with more experience would consider the line between workable and not worth it and just stick with the tree step platform.

Roger

What do you mean by platform? Like a mini tree stand?

Some guys like them, and the lone wolf assassin was a platform, but I would not use one because it would limit my ability to rotate around the tree. Tree steps extend 4-5 inches past the tree so that would be about as small as you could comfortably go.

I have an area that I'm hunting in an urban area and my shooting window is only about 120 degrees, I have the road behind me as well as houses so I'm limited to where I can shoot. In most hunting situations I will use the Ameristeps but I was talking to the tree stand maker before I purchased the Ameristeps and he was going to convert his ground seat into a mini platform for me. I was thinking of it as a backup system and for special applications such as this where 360 mobility isn't a requirement and my shoot area is limited. The joys of urban hunting. I was also interested in it because I do occasionally ground hunt and I like the idea and design of the seat. I would just use tree steps but only as a last resort because this is a tree on someone's property right behind his house and I don't want to damage the tree at all.

Roger

Gotcha Roger. Others have used converted tree seats and it definetily will work as a platform.

Believe me I wish I could take full advantage of the Ameristeps in this location it would be great if I could do that, as it is the place is a good hunting spot but just has a limited shooting area, that is just one of the disadvantages to hunting these urban areas, but we have to adapt to be successful. Have you experimented at all with small platforms or have the Ameristeps and screw in worked so well you just didn't feel the need to try anything else?

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
Believe me I wish I could take full advantage of the Ameristeps in this location it would be great if I could do that, as it is the place is a good hunting spot but just has a limited shooting area, that is just one of the disadvantages to hunting these urban areas, but we have to adapt to be successful. Have you experimented at all with small platforms or have the Ameristeps and screw in worked so well you just didn't feel the need to try anything else?

Roger

I have never used a platform. If I don't need to go all the way around I would just use less steps.

redsquirrel said:
Stykbow1 said:

Roger

I have never used a platform. If I don't need to go all the way around I would just use less steps.

Scott I feel like the Karate kid talking to Mr.Mayagi when you give me such a simple and obvious suggestion like that! :D Danielsan If use Ameristep no can defend! :lol: Thanks.

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
redsquirrel said:
Stykbow1 said:

Roger

Scott I feel like the Karate kid talking to Mr.Mayagi when you give me such a simple and obvious suggestion like that! :D Danielsan If use Ameristep no can defend! :lol: Thanks.

Roger

Haha Roger! No worries! :D

Those of you that do use the platforms do you incorperate the steps on the stand strap or just use screw in steps on the sides and back of the tree? I've seen a video by Boswell that shows him putting a Gorilla tree seat up with screw in steps around the sides and back and it looked pretty good. Just trying to get ideas for alternate platforms besides the Ameristep.

Thanks for your input, Roger

I'd go 10"x10", anything bigger would b unnecessary. Put 2 screw ins or ameristeps at 3 n 9 o'clock about a foot higher than your platform, this set up allows u to shoot 360 without needing to go around the tree. More comfortable to. On another note if you need a back pack for this setup, my eberlestock gunslinger scabbord holds my platform like it was made for it.

thumbarcher said:
I'd go 10"x10", anything bigger would b unnecessary. Put 2 screw ins or ameristeps at 3 n 9 o'clock about a foot higher than your platform, this set up allows u to shoot 360 without needing to go around the tree. More comfortable to. On another note if you need a back pack for this setup, my eberlestock gunslinger scabbord holds my platform like it was made for it.

Thanks I will keep that in mind I appreciate the info, thanks.

Roger

Back