• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So what is the real weight

Ontariofarmer

IMG_3028.JPG
A ronstan cam cleat - medium carbon with screws 65 g

Without the screws the cam cleat weighed 45 g which is lighter than the claimed 50 g... good for Ronstan.

A lone wolf versa button with bolt. 22 g

IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3029.JPG

rope used on my cam cleat 49g. 5 mm static rope rated at 5000 pounds
rope used on my lone wolf button 84 g.... 8 mm static rope rated at 4500 pounds.

IMG_3032.JPG

Combined weight. cam cleat 104 g
combined weight versa button 71 g

The versa button will pack better savings on 3 stick 99 g or a 3.49 oz
Now if you used 1/4 rope on your versa button the savings would be greater
A cam cleat will not pack as well
A small cam cleat will weigh less but has a safe working loading that is less than 200 pound but a breaking load of almost 400 pounds...

Last edited:
IMG_3025.JPG
My cut down helium stick 1200 g or 2.646 pounds... heavier than I thought they would be... Are my sticks slightly longer than @DaveT1963
Plus I have the cam cleat and stealth strip and my stick is about an inch longer. Dave likely used lighter rope too. I have to weigh stealth strips sometime.

IMG_3034.JPG
Muddy stick with stealth strips...
1342 g or 2.95 pounds with stealth strips.

Three sticks are only one pound different. HMMM. I know I can change that difference... changing the cam cleat out.... take off the stealth strips... shorten the helium. I do prefer the cam cleat and even the light rope.

Well that is my discovery of the day... I bought my wife a food scale because I told her she needed one. Also so I could see if I am wasting my time trying to cut my weights. That will pay for the scale.

The truth of a scale and not a guess. What I wish I knew before I do things and not after. Dan's - the hunting beast sticks look real good in comparison to my efforts.

Last edited:
Have you got your new 1” blanks yet? The 3/32? What length are you cutting them? Curious what the weight of the stick before mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you got your new 1” blanks yet? The 3/32? What length are you cutting them? Curious what the weight of the stick before mods?

I do not have them yet but I will post when I get them. They are supposed to come next week.
I could not find any 1/16 wall 6061 t6... I wonder if the 6061 t6 3/32 will be stronger even after I put 3/8 holes up both sides one inch apart but staggered across from each other.
Is it safe... I have no idea but I am sure some will question it. I will test it too.
You cut yours 24 inches. I may do the same.

Will weigh one and drill it out and weigh one not drilled. The aluminum posts are the cheapest part of the stick so I can experiment.
When do you figure the steps are coming.
I will weigh and compare lone wolf standoffs and muddys next week too.
It is fun to experiment and weigh.
I have debated using the lighter cam cleats because they are smaller, lighter but borderline for strength.

I will probably just paint the sticks because they are too shiny but I will weigh stealth strips to see how much they weigh.
For the saddlehunters I am trying to replicate the @ImThere sticks with with his steps that I purchased. I guess I hope to get a stick well under 2 pounds. WE will see. It is an expensive experiment. Maybe end up purchasing the Dan Infalt sticks anyway. We will see. I do not see how he gets 1.4 pounds. Maybe I should have just waited for Dan's sticks but I figure he may not want to bother shipping to Canada and there may be limited supply initially. I doubt I can make them that light but it is fun trying.

When I am done I may sell the muddy pros or tear them apart and build more light weight sticks.

Last edited:
What screws are you using that are so light? Can't be grade 8 are they? I am working on a similar project with the same cam cleat. I couldn't find any 3/16" grade 8 hardware so I went to home depot last night and used 1/4" bolts. I had to drill the hole out to be slightly larger. The bolts are heavier than the cam cleat for sure.

You are correct I did not use grade 8 because they don’t exist. If Ronstan rated the medium cam at a safe working load of 265 pound I assume that is using grade 5 bolts. Remember a versa button is one bolt. A cam cleat has two. Also if it is tied off in two hitches the weight moves to the rope if it breaks That is why. I am thinking of using a small cleat

Sounds like the beast sticks will not likely be available in 2018.
So I will try and make a bowhunter15 ImThere stick

What screws are you using that are so light? Can't be grade 8 are they? I am working on a similar project with the same cam cleat. I couldn't find any 3/16" grade 8 hardware so I went to home depot last night and used 1/4" bolts. I had to drill the hole out to be slightly larger. The bolts are heavier than the cam cleat for sure.
I have had better luck finding bolts at tractor supply than HD or lowes lately.

I have had better luck finding bolts at tractor supply than HD or lowes lately.
I read online that the minimum size for grade 8 was 1/4". The same appears to be for grade 5. If anyone knows better I'd love to become more educated.

I agree, finding what you want at home depot is very hit or miss.

I have an Ace hardware which is a smaller hardware store near me!! They carry a variety of bolts that you can’t find a hd or lowes. I would suggest going to a smaller store as they tend to carry the hardware that is out of the norm.

Google to see if you have any industrial fastener or bolt suppliers in your area. I have two within 30 miles of where I live. They sell to the general public also and have most everything you can imagine. Only had to buy a couple specialty items online.

Back