• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Srt or Ddrt

Treehugger32

I'm looking into just using a rope as part of my setup for next year... how many guys are using srt or Ddrt? Which one is preferred? I know srt is more expensive to get into so is it worth going that route to start? Are you then just using that as your tether? I was thinking if I try Ddrt just doing a closed loop system with a blakes hitch and micro pulley just to get me started. Any input or suggestions would be great.

I had to look up Ddrt, lol. I haven't seen too many folks using that on here, but that doesn't mean no one is using it. Using 2 ropes with 2 separate anchor points might get a little excessive, probably more for arborists, but I could be wrong. Most folks use SRT, which is what I did last year as my primary climbing method for presets. I love it and will definitely keep the system and use it a bunch.

YES to your first question, SRT is awesome, when done correctly it can be extremely quiet and quick. I would skip the micro pulley and the webbing foot loop, just get some accessory cord and tie one, thats what I did and it works just fine. I used a separate tether but you certainly don't need to do that, although sometimes the SRT line isn't in the best location for your tether and it's nice to have the option but I think you could certainly get by without it.

The toughest part about Ddrt, I think, again I've never done it, I think would be getting your line setup in the tree, I think you would have to get a friction saver or something similar for the rope to smoothly move as you climb, because the rope moves as you climb right?

Anyway, hopefully, that helps, I'm not real sure I fully understand the Ddrt stuff, good luck, some useful links below. Maybe one of our other SRT pro's can chime in.

I've got more info and links in a newbie write-up I did a while back to consolidate info.
http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/noobie-advice-info.5590/#post-76917

Ddrt and SRT
http://treebuzz.com/pdf/CC_Jun07.pdf

RADS/Yo-Yo Explained
http://www.newtribe.com/documents/tip4.htm

How to install and remove the rope, great video, helped me a lot when I got started.

DDRt or MRS uses a loop of rope over a branch with a friction saver with a Blake's is as simple as one can get. I initially learned to climb this way from Bob Wray and as long as you can toss over the lowest branch you can us a throw bag and advance branch to branch upward. You are lifting half your weight but only advancing half the distance both a benefit and a detriment. You will need at least a foot ascender and some gloves that allow a good gripe on the rope. SRT on the other hand you are ascending a stationary rope and moving all your weight but getting the most bang for the buck as far as advancement up the rope (1:1). With SRT you can canopy tie or basal tie but have to be aware of force vectors as it will be felt on both legs of the climbing line. With SRT you need a device,a way to tend it up the rope as you ascend and a foot ascended in its most basic setup . There is no substitute for some quality instruction after all your life depends on it.

You use only half the rope providing you are using a clinching tie in point with a retrieval line. You can also use a system where you cinch using a alpine butterfly and are able to pull line out with the other end of the climbing line and use same amount of rope as DDRT. If you use a basal tie you also use double the amount of rope because you run rope over a suitable branch union and back down other side of tree and attach via various methods.

I had to look up Ddrt, lol. I haven't seen too many folks using that on here, but that doesn't mean no one is using it. Using 2 ropes with 2 separate anchor points might get a little excessive, probably more for arborists, but I could be wrong. Most folks use SRT, which is what I did last year as my primary climbing method for presets. I love it and will definitely keep the system and use it a bunch.

YES to your first question, SRT is awesome, when done correctly it can be extremely quiet and quick. I would skip the micro pulley and the webbing foot loop, just get some accessory cord and tie one, thats what I did and it works just fine. I used a separate tether but you certainly don't need to do that, although sometimes the SRT line isn't in the best location for your tether and it's nice to have the option but I think you could certainly get by without it.

The toughest part about Ddrt, I think, again I've never done it, I think would be getting your line setup in the tree, I think you would have to get a friction saver or something similar for the rope to smoothly move as you climb, because the rope moves as you climb right?

Anyway, hopefully, that helps, I'm not real sure I fully understand the Ddrt stuff, good luck, some useful links below. Maybe one of our other SRT pro's can chime in.

I've got more info and links in a newbie write-up I did a while back to consolidate info.
http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/noobie-advice-info.5590/#post-76917

Ddrt and SRT
http://treebuzz.com/pdf/CC_Jun07.pdf

RADS/Yo-Yo Explained
http://www.newtribe.com/documents/tip4.htm

How to install and remove the rope, great video, helped me a lot when I got started.
Are you use a base anchor or branch as your tie in point? If a branch what are some things to look for or to avoid?

How to folks like a RAD method for climbing?
I’ve done SRT and DDRT for tree work. SRT is great for ascending high up because it’s a 1to1 system (you step a foot and go up a foot). DDRT is a 2to1 system (you pull 2 feet of rope and go up 1foot). So if you are going 70 feet up a tree SRT is great.
I use RADs system for hunting. I’m only going up 20 or 30 feet and can use it to rappel down. It doesn’t require a lot of equipment to carry in. I like to use it in big trees that I preset and are bigger than I can reach around (too big for WE Stepp ropes).

For SRT I use a branch as my anchor point. The general rule of thumb that I follow is about the size of your thigh. Arborist chime in if I'm off base. I also never climb a dead tree or dead branch. I've made that mistake before because I didn't take a good enough look before climbing or setting up the lines.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Are you use a base anchor or branch as your tie in point? If a branch what are some things to look for or to avoid?
I have not even hunted my first time in a diaper, ummm I mean saddle. :D But, this video also helped me to consider SRT. Great demonstration.
I love srt, although it's probably one of tr more expensive climbing methods. But at least you can trim those trees now lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back