• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

States requiring full body removal

jsh909

There was a thread on here where this topic came up. I was wondering if anyone had a resource that lists states that require whole body carcass removal. I hunt multiple states every year and have been adding new states each year and omitting some of the ones that I have previously harvested bucks in ( I still hunt a couple every year no matter what). Truth be told I have a lofty goal of harvesting a legal buck, with a bow, in all states within the USA that allow it. I am having trouble finding a resource that lists states that require a full body removal. I may have accidentally already breached this law. I have been packing deer out when necessary and dragging when not. All that said I would like to know what states require, by law, full carcass removal so that I don't break any laws.
If nothing else maybe we can make this a running thread on states that do and do not require full carcass removal.

I have currently harvested archery bucks in OH, IN, PA, WV, MI, KY, NC, SC, TN and VA. I hunted NY this year but didn't connect, the non resident laws there were a bit confusing but according to the DNR we had everything we needed to hunt bear and deer for about 100 dollars which is wonderful for an out of state hunt. Anyways, I am not wanting to inadvertently break any game laws. So was looking for a bit of help.

Last edited:
I should also say, that I was always under the impression that when it's required to remove the full carcass that you could still break the body down and remove everything but the guts and still be legal, but it's been brought to my attention that this is not the case.

Not sure how recent this is but

Thank you! That is useful, I appreciate that. I read the laws in each state as I get tags, but this seems to be a bit of a gray area or not clearly defined and I would rather err on the side of caution. This will help moving forward

Last edited:
I believe but, could be wrong.
states are worried about spreading cwd so i know in my states i hunt (delaware snd jersey)
There is no transportation of a brain or brain stem (including spine) across state lines.
i believe it is ok to transport meat ( butchered) or
( processed ) in coolers, but not full unprocessed carcass.
this is how i read the laws on the few states ive hunted and had to bring home over the years

I believe but, could be wrong.
states are worried about spreading cwd so i know in my states i hunt (delaware snd jersey)
There is no transportation of a brain or brain stem (including spine) across state lines.
i believe it is ok to transport meat ( butchered) or
( processed ) in coolers, but not full unprocessed carcass.
this is how i read the laws on the few states ive hunted and had to bring home over the years
Ohio, my resident state, does not allow brain stem/upper spine from out of state deer to be brought into the state either.

I assume in these states that require full carcass removal that you can transport deer that have been broken down, you just can't break them down for removal purposes. Otherwise crossing state lines could become a nightmare, if not all together impossible, trying to respect both states laws

I kill a deer a mile+ back in, that's the only way I'm getting it out from a purely practical standpoint. I'll put it back together with duct tape and zip ties if the law is that stupid.
I’ve never even considered quartering and packing out until the one time I shot a doe at last light on the last day 3 miles deep by myself and I was far from prepared didn’t even have a pull rope. I still drag them whole but now I consider packing them out lol

WI requires everything other than gut pile to be removed. You can break down into front/rear quarters and then spine/head if you want to part it out, but it all has to come out.

WI requires everything other than gut pile to be removed. You can break down into front/rear quarters and then spine/head if you want to part it out, but it all has to come out.
Thank you. I added that to my file. That is not too bad. At least you can still break it down, I had assumed that was always the case, but I was wrong some states don't allow it or at least don't specify.

MN requires the carcass to come out of the woods on public land. You can't dispose of the carcass on public land, even if you butcher it on site. So public land hunters who butcher their own deer have to take their carcass to the transfer station / dump. It adds an extra step but if you're breaking down a deer in the field anyway, you could put the spinal parts in a trash bag to dispose of on your way to your overnight accommodations and dispose of the bones later. Preferably after boiling them for stock.

MN requires the carcass to come out of the woods on public land. You can't dispose of the carcass on public land, even if you butcher it on site. So public land hunters who butcher their own deer have to take their carcass to the transfer station / dump. It adds an extra step but if you're breaking down a deer in the field anyway, you could put the spinal parts in a trash bag to dispose of on your way to your overnight accommodations and dispose of the bones later. Preferably after boiling them for stock.
Thank you for the information, this thread has become very helpful

First year public land hunting this year. My plan, had I got something, was to gut/skin/quarter. That way, I’d have 4 bags of meat and 1 bag of skin and CNS to haul out. Private land is so much easier.

I’ve got some “less than meat eating” neighbors who give me the stinkeye whenever I have something hanging in the garage. My plan was to perfectly position a flawlessly mangled head poking out of the garbage can lid.

Maybe next year….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s what Massachusetts says, interpretation of what it actually means is up to you:

Upon harvesting a deer, bear, or turkey, hunters must immediately fill out and attach the paper tag from the permit or license to the carcass. The game must remain intact (other than field dressing), with the harvest tag attached, until it is reported. Hunters who harvest a deer, bear, coyote, fox, or turkey must report or check their game within 48 hours of killing the animal. Hunters may report their harvested game online or bring their game to an official check station. For information on Online Game Reporting, or a list of official check stations visit the Game Check Station page. All deer harvested during the first week of the shotgun deer season must be brought to an official check station for biological data collection.

Here’s what Massachusetts says, interpretation of what it actually means is up to you:

Upon harvesting a deer, bear, or turkey, hunters must immediately fill out and attach the paper tag from the permit or license to the carcass. The game must remain intact (other than field dressing), with the harvest tag attached, until it is reported. Hunters who harvest a deer, bear, coyote, fox, or turkey must report or check their game within 48 hours of killing the animal. Hunters may report their harvested game online or bring their game to an official check station. For information on Online Game Reporting, or a list of official check stations visit the Game Check Station page. All deer harvested during the first week of the shotgun deer season must be brought to an official check station for biological data collection.
Does MA do online or telephonic registration? MN does. You could register your deer over the phone and process in the field as long as they don't have a restriction on disposing of carcasses. The way I read the MN statutes, it's less an issue of "the carcass must get to the processor intact" and more an issue of "you can't leave deer bones in the public woods".

Does MA do online or telephonic registration? MN does. You could register your deer over the phone and process in the field as long as they don't have a restriction on disposing of carcasses. The way I read the MN statutes, it's less an issue of "the carcass must get to the processor intact" and more an issue of "you can't leave deer bones in the public woods".
Yes, there is online reporting. I’ve dug through their database and I’m confused. My perception of the written words is that with online reporting it’s reasonable to break down an animal and pack it out. However there is some amount of language in the cannons of mass general law that suggest the animal must come out whole. Though I suspect they are relics from sections that havent been edited recently. Online check in was just added at the beginning of the pandemic. And, during shotgun season it’s required that deer are physically brought to check stations, implying they need to remain intact.

The only way to get a clear answer would be to actually call the game warden.

Yes, there is online reporting. I’ve dug through their database and I’m confused. My perception of the written words is that with online reporting it’s reasonable to break down an animal and pack it out. However there is some amount of language in the cannons of mass general law that suggest the animal must come out whole. Though I suspect they are relics from sections that havent been edited recently. Online check in was just added at the beginning of the pandemic. And, during shotgun season it’s required that deer are physically brought to check stations, implying they need to remain intact.

The only way to get a clear answer would be to actually call the game warden.
The MN game wardens I've talked to have been very helpful in deciphering the regs book, which is (probably) written poorly by lawyers and edited by unpaid interns. Plus the wardens know how the courts treat different violations, and they may have internal policy or guidance memos on various fine points of the regs.

The MN game wardens I've talked to have been very helpful in deciphering the regs book, which is (probably) written poorly by lawyers and edited by unpaid interns. Plus the wardens know how the courts treat different violations, and they may have internal policy or guidance memos on various fine points of the regs.
Same in MA. I’ve called a couple times with gun questions and always got quick and clear answers.

Back