• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Static vs dynamic rope question

Sincyrman

I'm new to ropes and just curious.
For saddle hunting, is there a serious difference between static and dynamic rope? It's not like we are dangling from 200'. Mostly we would be falling/slipping about a foot.
Are we limiting ourselves in rope selection?
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.

I'm new to ropes and just curious.
For saddle hunting, is there a serious difference between static and dynamic rope? It's not like we are dangling from 200'. Mostly we would be falling/slipping about a foot.
Are we limiting ourselves in rope selection?
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.

A static rope uses less human energy for tree Climbing. That is why they are used. We in saddle hunting use the whole set up to prevent us from falling while. While a rock climber anticipates a fall. Which may be 40’ or greater. Thus they use a dynamic rope.

If you are climbing a tree correctly you should never slip more than a foot or two at most. You are always tied in with a load on the lanyard and tether. Personally, I am incorporating a Buckingham tree squeeze into my set up so that while climbing if a slip it will grab me within a foot or so. A little more work, but I have fallen and all I can say is the good Lord was watching over me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm also going to use a tree squeeze. Did you boy the actual Buckingham one or throw one together yourself?

I've got a Blake's hitch on my lineman belt with a petzel delta screw. Might add something to tend the prusik we shall see how it works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In practice they probably work the same for us. In theory we are hanging from a single point and want to hang exactly as we are positioned with little to no stretch. That is why I have always gone with a static rope.

In practice they probably work the same for us. In theory we are hanging from a single point and want to hang exactly as we are positioned with little to no stretch. That is why I have always gone with a static rope.
Thanks. I didn't realize rope could stretch enough to matter in the saddle hunting environment. Static it is!

Thanks. I didn't realize rope could stretch enough to matter in the saddle hunting environment. Static it is!
I'm honestly not sure it can but I know static won't. I know that when I was climbing SRT going just 20 or so feet up you can really feel the stretch in a rope.

I’m not big on depending on a linemans belt I think I would get the tree squeeze as well if I were going to. But that being said using my tether all the time means sometimes I’ll get 2-3 feet of slack when climbing unless I advance the tether every step. So to save a little time I don’t do that and I switched to dynamic rope because two or three feet can give you a pretty big jolt on static rope. When I was researching it, I was pretty surprised to see the difference in impact force. I also was using one stick for a while and dynamic seemed the smarter choice for that. I hardly notice a difference hanging, it’s definitely not as firm but I don’t notice any bounce for shooting or anything. It might be a little overkill for some but I do feel a little safer with it.

I’m not big on depending on a linemans belt I think I would get the tree squeeze as well if I were going to. But that being said using my tether all the time means sometimes I’ll get 2-3 feet of slack when climbing unless I advance the tether every step. So to save a little time I don’t do that and I switched to dynamic rope because two or three feet can give you a pretty big jolt on static rope. When I was researching it, I was pretty surprised to see the difference in impact force. I also was using one stick for a while and dynamic seemed the smarter choice for that. I hardly notice a difference hanging, it’s definitely not as firm but I don’t notice any bounce for shooting or anything. It might be a little overkill for some but I do feel a little safer with it.
@BenG, where did you get the stats regarding impact force?

OK, since I do not know, would this be used while climbing or used once you reach your spot?

Never mind as I found some information about it.

Last edited:
I'm also going to use a tree squeeze. Did you boy the actual Buckingham one or throw one together yourself?

I've got a Blake's hitch on my lineman belt with a petzel delta screw. Might add something to tend the prusik we shall see how it works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I bought the actual Buckingham. A little pricey but in my mind well worth it. However, @BassBoysLLP suggested using a Lonewolfbelt. Said he uses it sometimes on high climbs

Is this what you got? https://buckinghammfg.com/products/treesqueeze-7l08t18j/ Is it noisy? I looked for the "Lonewolfbelt" that you mentioned and couldn't find it.
It's pretty easy with any rated cam belt. Adjust the size of the cam belt until it wraps around the tree and the loops are a few inches apart. Lineman's belt goes through the end of the cam belt. A couple small delta screw links work well to reduce friction/heat. Leaning back on this system will cause the cam belt to hug the tree. Tighten the cam belt as you climb the tree so the belt isn't too big

Alternatively, you can consider crossing your linemans belt in front of you. It is harder to climb this way but it will reduce your fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No not noisy. However, you can make one for a fraction of the cost. All it is a a rope with two rated circle caribeners, a prussic, plastic zip ties to keep to rope and circle caribeners iin place

Unless you are cutting a lot in a tree, i would go with a rope, just because it would be easier to store and walk in with. The rope on the tree squeeze is coated to prevent hand saw abrasion.

Just from reading a lot on rock climbing forums and such. Some of the climbing companies like petzl have a lot of good info on it also. I also looked at a whole bunch of fall calculators. I thought petzl had one but here’s another you could play around with.

http://ferforge.tripod.com/Srt002.htm

Very good.

As a big guy, that needs to loose more weight, it is amazing how much the shock factor goes down by losing weight. I took a fall several years ears ago. My younger brother who is a PE like @erniepowers gave me the ratio of not getting hurt worse if I had not been in shape.

Back