• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick/Platform Straps

Kuenro02

Yesterday I hunted an area a nice buck had skirted me twice. Got in there but couldn't hunt any of the trees I wanted because both my lone wolf and hawk straps were too short to get around the tree. They always say sticks and hang/hunt equipment give the flexibility to hunt anywhere, not large trees. Any other options for straps? Not interested in bolts or screw in steps.

Yesterday I hunted an area a nice buck had skirted me twice. Got in there but couldn't hunt any of the trees I wanted because both my lone wolf and hawk straps were too short to get around the tree. They always say sticks and hang/hunt equipment give the flexibility to hunt anywhere, not large trees. Any other options for straps? Not interested in bolts or screw in steps.
You can buy longer straps pretty easily. Despite the propoganda, I think there will always be unhuntable trees.

Do you know if one company makes a longer strap or do I go through a commercial strap business?
Lone Wolf sells extension. Other than that, strapworks.com is the go-to.

Honestly, I've never used the extensions, but I like the idea. Most of the time the standard straps are fine. But sometime you get a tree that you can just barely throw a rope around and you want up it.

I encoutnered a huge Hedge tree the other day that my LW straps were way short on. I keep LW extension's with me, so it was not a problem. Before I bought the LW extension's I tied a figure 8 in each end of a 2" strap, hooked one end to the versa button, then larks head to the LW strap on the other. Worked like a charm. Although they are rarely needed, those extensions deserve a spot in my pack.

You can buy longer straps pretty easily. Despite the propoganda, I think there will always be unhuntable trees.
This is something I'm seeing a lot lately and I am going to keep putting this out there. (Almost) no tree is unhuntable. Many trees ARE unhuntable if you're hunting mobile. If you are willing to put the work into setting up a tree in the offseason or prior to the hunt you can do it on almost any tree.

4 foot piece of Amsteel with a fixed loop on one end and a whoopie bury on wherever you need it. That rig will allow up to 3 foot extension with no problems.

This is something I'm seeing a lot lately and I am going to keep putting this out there. (Almost) no tree is unhuntable. Many trees ARE unhuntable if you're hunting mobile. If you are willing to put the work into setting up a tree in the offseason or prior to the hunt you can do it on almost any tree.
Absolutely! I was just doing a hang and hunt but before next year I will have a tree trimmed and fixed ladder to any of those bigger trees.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can you rope those? The whole reason I rope modded my LW sticks is because a number of trees I liked were too big. I think perhaps as much as 20% of trees I hunt are larger than the straps would allow.

Back