• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks???

Keith thrasher

I've had muddy rope sticks and loved how easy they were, but didn't like how high I could get, or better yet, couldn't get. Leverage sticks look good, but don't care for the hardware. I don't want to do the whole, stick up, rappel down thing, just look like waaaayyyy too much work to me, especially in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith thrasher said:
I've had muddy rope sticks and loved how easy they were, but didn't like how high I could get, or better yet, couldn't get. Leverage sticks look good, but don't care for the hardware. I don't want to do the whole, stick up, rappel down thing, just look like waaaayyyy too much work to me, especially in the dark.

I can consistently hit 20-22ft with my 4 lone wolf sticks. I have a carry strap or I strap them to my day pack. Usually setup in 10-15 minutes with them. I've set them up so many times its second nature by now.

Keith, I'm assuming you have four of the short muddy sticks. I have the LW mini's, which are about the same size. They definitely don't get you very high, but they are nice and compact.

Have you considered adding an "aider" (rock climbing etrier) to the bottom stick?

You might be able to get three or four extra steps with that, and if you're comfortable with it, you can add webbing loops to the bottom of all your sticks.

That would be the lightest way to add some height to your sticks.

I think guys on here have posts about adding web steps to sticks, take a look at it if you haven't already.

I added a two step aider to my bottom stick and and did single on the other steps. I have the lone wolf three step sticks. First stick I can get over 9 feet.

Traded for 3 Lone Wolf sticks. Not sure yet if I will do the rope mod or just keep the cam buckle. Either way, I really like them!

I have 4 lone wolf sticks that I added a 2 step aider to the bottom and a single to the next two. I have no problem getting over 20 feet.

I did the Muddy rope conversion to my lone wolf sticks. It's definitely a trade off. The stock cam buckle is more solid and maybe just a tad faster to put on the tree. After the Muddy rope conversion the sticks are MUCH quieter and pack easier. I would say the rope mod adds maybe 30-60 seconds per stick to setup. I can say this - I'm not switching back to the cam buckles.

Keith thrasher said:

What is your height goal? Do you like the double steps or single?
I went with 4 muddys. To me you can't beat the rope hook up and double step. With 4 sticks and my platform my butt is at 20 feet every time. I sold my 4 lone wolf sticks because they were just collecting dust after I bought my muddys. I have thought about buying a 5th stick for hutting in hilly terrain for that little extra height.

Thanks,
Boswell

I'm only 5'7" so I use 3 LW and 2 Muddy sticks to get me between 20-24' depending on the tree. Having the 2 Muddy sticks at the top to hang my platform is unbelievably helpful. I drilled holes in 1 of my LWs to allow the Muddy sticks to stack on top of them. I strap them down with a universal carry strap from strapworks.com and they are solid as a rock. LOVE this setup.

Back