• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stoked in south Louisiana!

denots

I just ordered my aero Hunter saddle this past weekend. I was researching a lightweight alternative and step system for hunting public land when I ran across this magnificent way of hunting. I've never wanted to pack a climbing stand anywhere and I hate hunting out of them. I am so excited to get my saddle and begin playing with it learning how to adjust it and practicing shooting from it. I'm sure there will be some learning curve associated with it but best I can tell as long as you trust your equipment it should be the most comfortable and safest way that I have ever hunted. Still toying with an idea of using an old lock on stand, the seat only, to make a small platform so if I want to stand up for a little while and maybe relieve some pressure off my back side that will be an option. Also I believe I am going to use the step ladder system to access my tree. Do any of you guys have a specific height that you find that you hunt at more often than others? The reason I am asking is not a fear of heights but rather trying to make sure the step ladder system I buy has enough steps to get me the height I want to go. I considered the largest amount of steps they sell as a package but didn't want to be packing in anything extra if I didn't have to. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the add I'm so excited to be taking part in this new adventure!

Welcome to the site!

I generally like to hunt around 25 feet, but that depends on every situation, tree, canopy, cover, etc. If you look at the "redsquirrel climbing aider" thread you will see the aider I am using to climb with my stepps. I am getting to about 24 feet with 6 stepps and my platform. I suspect that as it gets colder and my clothing bulks up I will need to add another couple stepps to get to the same height.

Where are you located?

Welcome to the site!

I generally like to hunt around 25 feet, but that depends on every situation, tree, canopy, cover, etc. If you look at the "redsquirrel climbing aider" thread you will see the aider I am using to climb with my stepps. I am getting to about 24 feet with 6 stepps and my platform. I suspect that as it gets colder and my clothing bulks up I will need to add another couple stepps to get to the same height.

Where are you located?
South Louisiana, just outside of Baton Rouge. Lots of pine here, but will be also hunting public land which consists of swamp/bottom land hardwoods. I thought about 12 steps to start and add more if needed. I'll check out your climbing aider. To be honest I don't even know what that is, so I'm interested to check it out. I understand that different scenarios will dictate what hight to set up, but I generally try and get 30' to my platform. I find I don't get busted moving as easily that high. I was thinking I might be able to reduce that a bit from a saddle.

I’m using my stepps as a platform also. So far I am liking the setup. I probably have around 11 sits using the kestrel/stepp combo. I bought a set of eight stepps and thought that was all I needed. It would have been If I hadn’t liked the stepps as a platform. Now I’m using five steps going up and then three as a platform. I’m usually around 20 feet. I can get 24 feet up with a little more work or bring a platform and use all 8 to be right at 30 feet. I think I’m going to add a set of 10 to my setup. Then I can leave some setup if I think I will return that evening or the next morning but still have some if I change my mind.

I’m using my stepps as a platform also. So far I am liking the setup. I probably have around 11 sits using the kestrel/stepp combo. I bought a set of eight stepps and thought that was all I needed. It would have been If I hadn’t liked the stepps as a platform. Now I’m using five steps going up and then three as a platform. I’m usually around 20 feet. I can get 24 feet up with a little more work or bring a platform and use all 8 to be right at 30 feet. I think I’m going to add a set of 10 to my setup. Then I can leave some setup if I think I will return that evening or the next morning but still have some if I change my mind.
I definitely was considering steps as a platform to move around a tree. Do you add a small platform to stand on also, or just sit in the saddle the entire hunt. I will probably spend all day in the woods on public land. Can't say for sure, because I have never been in a saddle, but I've never found anything that I can sit in all day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I can stand on the stepps. The one in the middle is about an inch lower. The two on each side of the tree are on a level plane. I usually put my heels on the center stepp and the pad behind my toes on each side step. That gives me a comfortable angle when leaning. Depending on the size of the treeI can either straddle the tree and put one foot on each side stepp. On bigger trees or just to change things I put my knees on the tree sitting and both feet on the center stepp. I finally got a pair of knee pads. They are a nice addition also. I do find that my aider gets hung on the edge of my knee pad.

I just ordered my aero Hunter saddle this past weekend. I was researching a lightweight alternative and step system for hunting public land when I ran across this magnificent way of hunting. I've never wanted to pack a climbing stand anywhere and I hate hunting out of them. I am so excited to get my saddle and begin playing with it learning how to adjust it and practicing shooting from it. I'm sure there will be some learning curve associated with it but best I can tell as long as you trust your equipment it should be the most comfortable and safest way that I have ever hunted. Still toying with an idea of using an old lock on stand, the seat only, to make a small platform so if I want to stand up for a little while and maybe relieve some pressure off my back side that will be an option. Also I believe I am going to use the step ladder system to access my tree. Do any of you guys have a specific height that you find that you hunt at more often than others? The reason I am asking is not a fear of heights but rather trying to make sure the step ladder system I buy has enough steps to get me the height I want to go. I considered the largest amount of steps they sell as a package but didn't want to be packing in anything extra if I didn't have to. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the add I'm so excited to be taking part in this new adventure!
Welcome !!!!!!! I’m from south Louisiana too...... I think you will enjoy hunting this way. I know it has improved my hunting remarkably. I use 10 stepps with red squirrels aider , saddle, backpack and bow . 3-stepps for my platform, 6 to get 25 foot and 1 as a handhold above my platform. All day sits is not a problem....... I couldnt say that when I used hang on or a climbing stand. Also I feel much more safe in a saddle.
Myself, I don’t hunt from pine trees with the stepps, I use climbing sticks if I must get into a pine. I’m not saying you can’t use stepps in one of our southern pines. I just think it would be very difficult to get them to cam over because of the bark being so thick and flaky . Just something to think about . Any way good luck!!!!!!

I have used mine on pine a couple of times. They will work. Usually have to cam over tighten then cam over again. Several will be sticky when you get done.

I have used mine on pine a couple of times. They will work. Usually have to cam over tighten then cam over again. Several will be sticky when you get done.
I figured as much. I do my best to stay out of the pines, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Thanks for the advice about camming and then tightening them up and camming a second time. It's always easier to learn from someone else then it is to learn the hard way!

Welcome to the site!

Where are you located?
Okay so I spent some time last night looking up the step aider that wild edge sells. Is yours different? I tried to find yours that everyone seems to be talking about but I've yet to find any pictures of it so I can see if it works differently. Is there any way you can send me a link to help me navigate through this site I apologize this is the first time I've ever joined a forum, only because this is the first time I've ever been interested enough in something to find one necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry I'm technologically handicapped!

Okay so I spent some time last night looking up the step aider that wild edge sells. Is yours different? I tried to find yours that everyone seems to be talking about but I've yet to find any pictures of it so I can see if it works differently. Is there any way you can send me a link to help me navigate through this site I apologize this is the first time I've ever joined a forum, only because this is the first time I've ever been interested enough in something to find one necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry I'm technologically handicapped!

No problem!
Here is the link: http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/the-red-squirrel-climbing-aider.4240/
Mine is much different than theirs. The aider attaches to the tree instead of a stepp, which I find to be more stable. The adjustment is provided by a climbing ascender instead of a constrictor rope so it is much easier to adjust, which you do on the fly very often during the climb with my method.

No problem!
Here is the link: http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/the-red-squirrel-climbing-aider.4240/
Mine is much different than theirs. The aider attaches to the tree instead of a stepp, which I find to be more stable. The adjustment is provided by a climbing ascender instead of a constrictor rope so it is much easier to adjust, which you do on the fly very often during the climb with my method.
Thanks red for getting back to me. Appreciate the information I'm looking at every available option for different methods of climbing, saddle modifications, so on and so forth. Really grateful for you and all the other guys have been doing this much longer that can offer advice and tips. Hopefully that will help save me some money and headache of trying things that don't work in the long run. Really giving serious thought to saddle Palooza I don't think it'll be a problem scheduling and since I live in the south I can drive there. My only real problem is the lack of camping gear! Maybe I'll see you then!

Thanks red for getting back to me. Appreciate the information I'm looking at every available option for different methods of climbing, saddle modifications, so on and so forth. Really grateful for you and all the other guys have been doing this much longer that can offer advice and tips. Hopefully that will help save me some money and headache of trying things that don't work in the long run. Really giving serious thought to saddle Palooza I don't think it'll be a problem scheduling and since I live in the south I can drive there. My only real problem is the lack of camping gear! Maybe I'll see you then!

If you want to save money... run! As nice as this group of guys is, they will make you spend more money than you knew you had! :tearsofjoy:

If you want to save money... run! As nice as this group of guys is, they will make you spend more money than you knew you had! :tearsofjoy:
Oh I know I'm about to spend a bunch of money! I was more so referencing to costly mistakes that others have already made

Oh I know I'm about to spend a bunch of money! I was more so referencing to costly mistakes that others have already made

I gotcha. Just keep in mind that everybody likes something different. Saddle hunting is very personal. Some guys love thing, and other guys hate it. So you may need to experiment to find what you like :D

Back