• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target repair

Red Beard

SH Member
Wanted to share a quick exhortation to any that may be considering repairing their worn out 3D target (or possibly any target) vs purchasing a new insert or new target altogether. I recently repaired one using the 3D Country Single Target Repair Kit we bought from Lancaster Archery. Here's the exhortation... IT WAS STUPID SIMPLE. Cut the thing, mix the thing, pour in the thing, walk away from the thing until tomorrow.

Think I'm going to get an extra half-life out of my particular core repair by using the overflow tumor instead of cutting it off with a bread knife. ;)
20230514_160338.jpg20230514_160345.jpg20230514_160415.jpg20230514_160425.jpg

What is the cost? I would be interested to see what it looks like after a couple hundred arrows if you can share that later on too. I’ve been tempted to try this but haven’t yet.

What is the cost? I would be interested to see what it looks like after a couple hundred arrows if you can share that later on too. I’ve been tempted to try this but haven’t yet.
Shall do buddy. I'm only 50 or so into it now. Doesn't look like I poked it even once though.

The kit was $59.

Wanted to share a quick exhortation to any that may be considering repairing their worn out 3D target (or possibly any target) vs purchasing a new insert or new target altogether. I recently repaired one using the 3D Country Single Target Repair Kit we bought from Lancaster Archery. Here's the exhortation... IT WAS STUPID SIMPLE. Cut the thing, mix the thing, pour in the thing, walk away from the thing until tomorrow.

Think I'm going to get an extra half-life out of my particular core repair by using the overflow tumor instead of cutting it off with a bread knife. ;)
View attachment 85180View attachment 85181View attachment 85182View attachment 85183
Never tried doing that fix. Let us know how it handles field points and broadheads.

View attachment 85180View attachment 85181View attachment 85182View attachment 85183
This is my bell ringer target. I replaced my blown out center with a small bell ( on a string) and a small bright sticker stuck on it. I have a good backstop so I can shoot clean thru the missing replacement. The bell is in the heart area of the target. It's fun to ring the bell and good practice shooting off the ground.
Oh!! and its cheap!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 64
I had that same thought but didn't know how dense that foam got compared to spray foam
I've read some Pinterest-type stuff that it works OK but not sure how far I'd trust it. One of these days I'll stumble across it at Menards and have an extra $30 in my pocket to devote to an experiment. When I do I'll post my results here. I've got an ancient Black Hole target that I'm tired of shooting through; my thought was to drill out the soft spots and pour this stuff in the voids.

I've read some Pinterest-type stuff that it works OK but not sure how far I'd trust it. One of these days I'll stumble across it at Menards and have an extra $30 in my pocket to devote to an experiment. When I do I'll post my results here. I've got an ancient Black Hole target that I'm tired of shooting through; my thought was to drill out the soft spots and pour this stuff in the voids.
Another option I discovered a couple days ago, have the wife outside to hear the arrow smack the wood fence when it goes through. She asked what happened, I told her the arrow went thru and hit the 2x4 support on the fence. She immediately said "you need to go buy a new target tomorrow". Happy wife, happy life :cool:

Another option I discovered a couple days ago, have the wife outside to hear the arrow smack the wood fence when it goes through. She asked what happened, I told her the arrow went thru and hit the 2x4 support on the fence. She immediately said "you need to go buy a new target tomorrow". Happy wife, happy life :cool:
Did that already! Got a bag target and another Black Hole. But if I can have a smaller target, so much the better! My two mains are on a target stand on my home range; I'd use the smaller one as a portable for shooting out of random trees in my yard.

Did that already! Got a bag target and another Black Hole. But if I can have a smaller target, so much the better! My two mains are on a target stand on my home range; I'd use the smaller one as a portable for shooting out of random trees in my yard.
I'm taking this one up to my buddy's farm this weekend to leave for a camp target. That will give us 3-4 up there so we set up a mini range and a ladder stand for some elevated practice.

I ended up getting one of the "shooter buck" targets after reading this thread. First reaction when it showed up was "hm, that's a bit smaller than I expected" followed almost immediately by "eh not that much smaller than the deer I've been shooting lol"
Practicing on the 180 class Glendale big body buck my wife got me ain’t doing me any favors when it comes to shooting these does and baby bucks lol. I need to get a smaller target and do some real practice lol

Practicing on the 180 class Glendale big body buck my wife got me ain’t doing me any favors when it comes to shooting these does and baby bucks lol. I need to get a smaller target and do some real practice lol

Jason Samkoviak did a video about just that. So I bought the smaller buck target for that very reason.

Jason Samkoviak did a video about just that. So I bought the smaller buck target for that very reason.
I don’t know who that is but it sounds like he has some good ideas :tearsofjoy:

Let us know what target you get and how you like it

I don’t know who that is but it sounds like he has some good ideas :tearsofjoy:

Let us know what target you get and how you like it

I bought it over a year ago. Gotta go find what it is.

He has a youtube channel Traditional Bowhunting And Wilderness Podcast. All traditional. Some really good info. Highly recommend his videos.

Back