• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether attachment method

Tylerhorner33

How are you guys attaching your tether when 1 sticking. Last year I used a delta link and gear tie to hold it in place but wasn’t really pleased with it. I was thinking of trying the JRB Cinch. Seemed simple to use. Anyone use this or gave any other methods you like?

I used the running jrb hitch all last season and it worked really well for me. I am going to play with the maverick hitch before season and might switch to it but if not will continue to use the running jrb. I am using my rappel rope though not a standard tether length. If I was going to use a standard length tether I would use what @JC3 posted above.

I swapped out the gear tie for a bungee loop, prussicced onto the main line just "upstream" of the delta link. Hooked the loop into the link and slid the bungee to ensure it had enough tension to not slide down the tree.

I swapped out the gear tie for a bungee loop, prussicced onto the main line just "upstream" of the delta link. Hooked the loop into the link and slid the bungee to ensure it had enough tension to not slide down the tree.
Forgot to mention, I'm going to experiment with the Pocono hitch like @JC3 showed. @John RB also has some videos on his channel on this hitch. Eliminating the Delta link entirely.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to experiment with the Pocono hitch like @JC3 showed. @John RB also has some videos on his channel on this hitch. Eliminating the Delta link entirely.
Hey guys. Funny coincidence but lately I have been shooting a lot and have been doing more research and experimentation in traditional archery techniques and to summarize greatly: there are many techniques by which we can aim, anchor, grip, cant/angle the bow... but the bottom line is that we pick what works best for us. The same approach is true here: we have several options and so we tie and try and choose and use what we like best. But pls make sure its stable and not floppy. If our platform strap breaks only once in our life, it's gonna happen when we put all our weight on it and none on our tether or lifeline and so we can't deal with it loosening its cinching grip on the tree at that instant. My opinion:

JRB cinch is really nice for someone who is not comfortable tying knots. It's stable and easy to move up the tree. Retrieval is more difficult, but i have a dedicated video on it. I don't prefer it myself... I prefer those below.

If you're comfortable tying it and you're doing so in one location and not moving it, JRB hitch is super stable and strong and easiest to remove.

For pole setting, even though I introduced the Running JRB Hitch... i like the newer Maverick better. Sometimes running JRB was tough to get down. Not sure why cuz it was 25ft above me lol. Maverick can be set with a pole and advanced or removed with a pole. And Retrieval with a line is very consistent.

I met up with the Pocono hitch inventor to discuss it before we submitted it as a new knot. As far as i know, it's great, but is not remotely retrievable.... and so pls consider that.

If you're just wanting to toss an anchor as high as possible above you, with no pole, the Saddle Hunter's Hitch is the easiest to execute.

Always double check what you tied. Our first mistake may be our last.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hey guys. Funny coincidence but lately I have been shooting a lot and have been doing more research and experimentation in traditional archery techniques and to summarize greatly: there are many techniques by which we can aim, anchor, grip, cant/angle the bow... but the bottom line is that we pick what works best for us. The same approach is true here: we have several options and so we tie and try and choose and use what we like best. But pls make sure its stable and not floppy. If our platform strap breaks only once in our life, it's gonna happen when we put all our weight on it and none on our tether or lifeline and so we can't deal with it loosening its cinching grip on the tree at that instant. My opinion:

JRB cinch is really nice for someone who is not comfortable tying knots. It's stable and easy to move up the tree. Retrieval is more difficult, but i have a dedicated video on it. I don't prefer it myself... I prefer those below.

If you're comfortable tying it and you're doing so in one location and not moving it, JRB hitch is super stable and strong and easiest to remove.

For pole setting, even though I introduced the Running JRB Hitch... i like the newer Maverick better. Sometimes running JRB was tough to get down. Not sure why cuz it was 25ft above me lol. Maverick can be set with a pole and advanced or removed with a pole. And Retrieval with a line is very consistent.

I met up with the Pocono hitch inventor to discuss it before we submitted it as a new knot. As far as i know, it's great, but is not remotely retrievable.... and so pls consider that.

If you're just wanting to toss an anchor as high as possible above you, with no pole, the Saddle Hunter's Hitch is the easiest to execute.

Always double check what you tied. Our first mistake may be our last.

I’ll have to check out the maverick. Is it on your channel? I also thought about climb with a jRB cinch on one end of my rope but the tying a jRB hitch once at hunting height to allow for easier retrieval and not having to strip my line of my ascender knot. I’d probably just use a prusik or Blake’s on the cinch side.any thoughts on this idea or even tying a hitch further down the line from the cinch

I’ll have to check out the maverick. Is it on your channel? I also thought about climb with a jRB cinch on one end of my rope but the tying a jRB hitch once at hunting height to allow for easier retrieval and not having to strip my line of my ascender knot. I’d probably just use a prusik or Blake’s on the cinch side.any thoughts on this idea or even tying a hitch further down the line from the cinch
Tyler,
I will leave a link to the Maverick below.

That's a creative approach. Basically every stick climber who is safety conscious enough to know to USE a tether or lifeline during a stick climb will get to the top of the stick and then advance the hitch up the trunk. Most will need a lineman's to stabilize ourselves while advancing the lifeline. Now, this would be an awful time for a stick collapse or failure because we have some slack in our connection to the tree... there is just no way to say for sure what would happen. And so although your design is a good one, a better one is to have a JRB Cinch or Pocono Hitch on BOTH ends of the rope. Instead of advancing one, ya just put the other one on. And ya won't need a lineman's because the first/lower hitch will be keeping you in place while ya reach up. When you get to your destination height, if ya like the JRB hitch, you can tie it even though ya got the JRB Cinch hardware on the end of the rope. Just disregard it... except that you can use the Carabiner as your lock... and attach your retrieval line to it.

Just a note, the tether configuration above is not the Pocono Hitch that @John RB is referring to. Here is the hitch that I use while one-sticking, and as my tether at height.

Be absolutely sure to place the Carabiner around the rope created by the alpone butterfly (or figure 8 of you prefer) and not the descending length of rope.

I used the running jrb hitch all last season and it worked really well for me. I am going to play with the maverick hitch before season and might switch to it but if not will continue to use the running jrb. I am using my rappel rope though not a standard tether length. If I was going to use a standard length tether I would use what @JC3 posted above.
How did you like the Maverick Hitch? I am fed up with the weight of the quick link sliding down the tree during the ascent and fumbling with trying to put the tether locker on and off every time I want to move the rappel line up the tree before advancing. There has got to be a simple self tightening girth hitch of some kind that does not require the entire 40 feet of rope to be pulled through the eye in the even there is a limb to go around.

How did you like the Maverick Hitch? I am fed up with the weight of the quick link sliding down the tree during the ascent and fumbling with trying to put the tether locker on and off every time I want to move the rappel line up the tree before advancing. There has got to be a simple self tightening girth hitch of some kind that does not require the entire 40 feet of rope to be pulled through the eye in the even there is a limb to go around.
I never got around to trying it enough to use. Just stuck with the running jrb hitch. Started using it last year and have used it all this year with no issues at all. It's easy to tie and releases fine for me.

Does it's slide down much or slip down the trunk before you put tension back in line by sitting back in saddle? Thanks for fast reply.

So I used a JRB cinch to climb up. Very quick and easy. The saddle hunter hitch would be my second choice. Once at hunter height I tie my JRB Hitch to be set up for rappelling. It’s an exploding hitch. You can use the cinch to rappel off but I found it a pain to pull down.

Notch Quickie. Less rope to rope friction = easier recovery

Attachments

• IMG_7660.jpeg
    IMG_7660.jpeg
    818.9 KB · Views: 46
Have you tried fender washers? Someone else pushed about them in another thread and I'm hooked. Super simple solution. the link is probably NOT the right size for you, its just a convenient link with a good picture. I've put them on all of my quick link ropes. when climbing I leave them about 8-12" below the QL when its under tension so that I have a little slack to slide up the tree. At height I pull it tight to the QL and nothing moves. Before I rappel I slide it inside the QL, all the way up to the scaffold knot so its out of the way pulling the rope down.

No, I have not tried that yet, but will run to hardware store this weekend to look for one. I am liking the maverick hitch, but keeping a quick link at the opposite end of rappel rope in case I get to tree and totally blank on how to tie. I also tied a prusik knot with hallowblock cord and can push it up next to the quick link to hold in place while advancing up tree. Then will use the OHM locker at hunting height and can push prusik down to backup the madrock if I want. Also adding a gear tie on each side of the loop around tree to make advancing easier, like handles to keep fingers away from tree.
Have you tried fender washers? Someone else pushed about them in another thread and I'm hooked. Super simple solution. the link is probably NOT the right size for you, its just a convenient link with a good picture. I've put them on all of my quick link ropes. when climbing I leave them about 8-12" below the QL when its under tension so that I have a little slack to slide up the tree. At height I pull it tight to the QL and nothing moves. Before I rappel I slide it inside the QL, all the way up to the scaffold knot so its out of the way pulling the rope down.

Back