• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd Mantis

bowkill00

After hunting with the Mantis a full season and it being my first year saddle hunting I've learned a couple things. First the Tethrd Mantis is an awesome saddle. If your a leaner, no problems. If your a sitter like me well I tend to slide out the bottom and continually have to pull the saddle back down. I'm going to remedy this by incorporating a sit-drag to make it more comfortable. Just throwing this out there but if tethrd designs another saddle it would be great if they fix this problem. But it still is a great product.

i wouldn't know...yet. tomorrow marks 6 weeks.. hoping to get some good news soon. =)

After hunting with the Mantis a full season and it being my first year saddle hunting I've learned a couple things. First the Tethrd Mantis is an awesome saddle. If your a leaner, no problems. If your a sitter like me well I tend to slide out the bottom and continually have to pull the saddle back down. I'm going to remedy this by incorporating a sit-drag to make it more comfortable. Just throwing this out there but if tethrd designs another saddle it would be great if they fix this problem. But it still is a great product.
Maybe sell your mantis on the classifieds and try a kite or kestrel..
Resale value is amazing on saddles you will prolly only be out the cost of shipping.

I just got a kite, I have been sitting and leaning I dont think I am 1 or another and the kite has been super comfortable for me, once I have it set it does not move.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kestrel and kite are awesome saddles for sitters.

I'm definitely a sitter, and have enjoyed a TL, treesuit, and guidos. I know have an Aerohunter EVO, which I think is going to be awesome, and is so adjustable you can slant the leg support to be more for sitting, or leaning, and I feel like I can layer up clothes with it on, and still keep the saddle in the "shape" I want.

It's funny how we are all different. My personal experience is exactly the opposite. I loved my size 2 Kestrel but when I was using it I was primarily a leaner. When I sat in it I continually felt like I was sliding out of it and had to keep adjusting. For me the Mantis XL stays put better when I'm sitting and seems to slide some when I'm leaning.

I took a buddy out this spring and let him try both as a comparison before he bought and I could actually see him sliding out the of the Mantis as he was sitting there. His experience was the same as yours. The Kestrel just worked better for him.

Great feedback. We are constantly working on new products and will incorporate your thoughts in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Three things to try if you haven’t. Once tethered in move waist belt below your regular belt. Move leg straps to lower placement and either make a back band or buy one. Has made all the difference in the world for me sitting.

Any word on the new aero hunter saddle? I need one that doesnt fit like I would imagine a thong does. I know what you mean, I was constantly adjusting the Mantis. Finally sold the thing. It looks to me like the kite is the same amount of material as the mantis? Im hoping this year, the companies quit counting ounces and make a good fitting comfortable saddle. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Aeds151, find the bikini/ thong in the pic. Yea, it's a no brainer. The kite has more material at the bottom as you can see in the picture. Not as much as the trophylines but just enough where it cups perfectly. The mantis is a V at the bottom which makes it ride up your butt. My crew and i are all different shapes and sizes. We all experienced the wedgie effect no matter what we did. It obviously fits some people but no one I know personally. I love my size 2 kite.Screenshot_20181203-200603.jpg

@Aeds151, find the bikini/ thong in the pic. Yea, it's a no brainer. The kite has more material at the bottom as you can see in the picture. Not as much as the trophylines but just enough where it cups perfectly. The mantis is a V at the bottom which makes it ride up your butt. My crew and i are all different shapes and sizes. We all experienced the wedgie effect no matter what we did. It obviously fits some people but no one I know personally. I love my size 2 kite.View attachment 11712
That is an interesting photo. Can you overlay the Mantis on the Kite? Thanks

That is an interesting photo. Can you overlay the Mantis on the Kite? Thanks

The photo was taken awhile back. You can find more photos in the article my cousin wrote, search "the saddle shootout" on this forum. I did lay the saddles over one another like you said but that was a while back. Can't do it now because we sold the mantis. It has traveled around the country lol.... here is the mantis layed over my 13 year old tl ambush.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190428-130751.jpg
    Screenshot_20190428-130751.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 163
Awesome info thanks! Ya I love the way my diy fleece cups under my butt and feels more like a swing. I would just prefer one that I can wear in and not have to pullout up the tree like the fleece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The photo was taken awhile back. You can find more photos in the article my cousin wrote, search "the saddle shootout" on this forum. I did lay the saddles over one another like you said but that was a while back. Can't do it now because we sold the mantis. It has traveled around the country lol.... here is the mantis layed over my 13 year old tl ambush.
I read quite a bit of that thread originally (admittedly not all of it). Good info there, but I really didn't take note of the shape of the Mantis vs. the other saddles.

Yea
I read quite a bit of that thread originally (admittedly not all of it). Good info there, but I really didn't take note of the shape of the Mantis vs. the other saddles.
If you get a chance, refer back to the article and look at the pics. If I remember correctly, my back pockets were showing while wearing the mantis. My pockets were covered while wearing the other saddles. Just another indicator of lack of material in the butt location.
George and I scratched or heads over this because at least one of the mantis creators loves the sit drag. The sit drag is shaped like a swing , flat across your butt. So how they ended up with a bikini thong has us baffled. I'm sure their next one will be better.

Back