• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd One sticks gen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressed in plug on top? Can someone with more experience in this department expand on this. I know pressure fitting is used lots all over. But it's still light weight metal. It's sounding alarms in my head.

I think Cruzr and Latitude are coming out with new sticks. They will both be at the Mobile Hunters Expo next month in Ohio. Dont know if they will have there new sticks by then. To spend that kind of money on any sticks I want to see them first.

Last edited:
Pressed in plug on top? Can someone with more experience in this department expand on this. I know pressure fitting is used lots all over. But it's still light weight metal. It's sounding alarms in my head.
My understanding is the plug will cause some type of flare on the end to help keep it tighter as part slowly degrade and wear in. I am curious to see how that would work long term (past a couple months) though because aluminum is a softer metal than titanium so theoretically the cap bends more than the tube flares….or maybe not since the titanium tubing is probably thinner than the aluminum cap.. also how will these do with dissimilar metals? Here in Florida we hunt salt marsh areas, and there is a lot of salt in the air. If you sweat on a stick that’s introducing high sodium… I realize both aluminum and titanium are very corrosion resistant, but when introducing dissimilar metals the softer metal usually corrodes at an accelerated rate. It’s this concept that lead to using aluminum and zinc anodes on boat motors

My understanding is the plug will cause some type of flare on the end to help keep it tighter as part slowly degrade and wear in. I am curious to see how that would work long term (past a couple months) though because aluminum is a softer metal than titanium so theoretically the cap bends more than the tube flares….or maybe not since the titanium tubing is probably thinner than the aluminum cap.. also how will these do with dissimilar metals? Here in Florida we hunt salt marsh areas, and there is a lot of salt in the air. If you sweat on a stick that’s introducing high sodium… I realize both aluminum and titanium are very corrosion resistant, but when introducing dissimilar metals the softer metal usually corrodes at an accelerated rate. It’s this concept that lead to using aluminum and zinc anodes on boat motors
Wow. Didn't even consider the different metals. I just don't understand why you need a plug to tighten it up. That means it's subject to movement. I may be wrong. Hopefully for that price it is a great stick.

The step/standoff has a round hole. It is made from aluminum. The diameter of the hole will vary slightly. The round tube is made from titanium. The hole in the standoff has to be larger then the outer diameter of the tube or you could not assemble the parts. All manufactured pipe and fitting have a allowable tolerance. So 1" tube is never exactly 1". So some sticks will have more of a gap between the tube and standoff, giving you more or less wobble. Not sure how the cap fixes this.

i was about to post a thread about this

i want them, but like others said, won't spend that money until i know the steps aren't coming loose again

if i had even seen a solid bolt instead of a roll pin, i'd probably be more tempted

one thing they could do is make the step/standoffs fit over the ends so that neither end can slide towards the middle (they have a cap in the step with a hole to allow water to drain).....then connect the two ends with wire rope inside that is very tight....so the steps hold each other on

They shouldve left the step solid and not cut the whole all the way through. That gets rid of the cap, makes a solid piece slide onto the tube and then you could still try the roll pin. Wouldn’t have been that much heavier, wouldn’t really be any wiggle room. Or so I think.

They shouldve left the step solid and not cut the whole all the way through. That gets rid of the cap, makes a solid piece slide onto the tube and then you could still try the roll pin. Wouldn’t have been that much heavier, wouldn’t really be any wiggle room. Or so I think.

my idea above is the same, i think.....then join the two ends with something like 1/8" amsteel running inside the tube under a lot of tension.....with that, roll pin, and glue.....i'd feel alright about it

Threaded on, glued, welded, and pinned, lol.

doesn’t look like they’ll be making big adjustments.

Threaded on, glued, welded, and pinned, lol.

doesn’t look like they’ll be making big adjustments.

i see where they glued, roll pinned, and did the press fit/expanding end caps

but where are you getting threaded on and welded? they did that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back